U.S. House Passes Bill to Boost On-Air Indecency Fines

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Covar »

mikozero wrote::lol:
only a couple of weeks ago i watched Jonathan Ross show his prostate exam endoscopy tape on his Friday night (& the BBCs flagship) chat show, i'd love to see Letterman try something like that and ride it out.
who wants to see a prostate exam?

if you were an active participant in the fate of your nation i might give a fudge about what you have to say.
i'm in the army reserves and am currently up in wisconsin training for 2 weeks.

most the censorship on tv and media is self imposed. if people wanted it the stuff would be out there.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

greay wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
you see, we followed your (once apon at time) aspirational lead.
At least we don't ban movies. :wink:
The next thing you know you'll say our government has never burned books...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_films#United_States
Which of those movies was banned by the federal US Government? I only see cities/states.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

404NotFound wrote:
greay wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
you see, we followed your (once apon at time) aspirational lead.
At least we don't ban movies. :wink:
The next thing you know you'll say our government has never burned books...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_films#United_States
Which of those movies was banned by the federal US Government? I only see cities/states.
The last 3. ?
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Titicut Follies was pulled by order of the Massachussetts Supreme Court (though this does look like a case of thinly-veiled censorship), and Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story was banned from exhibition based on a civil copyright suit for unauthorized use of songs in the soundtrack. The Profit is a really weird case, though; there's a circuit court injunction against its exhibition/distribution worldwide until the Lisa McPherson / Scientology wrongful death case is resolved, despite the fact that Church of Scientology spokespeople have stated that the film has nothing to do with Scientology. Then again, when the Church of Scientology is involved logic tends to go right out the window.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Titicut Follies was pulled by order of the Massachussetts Supreme Court (though this does look like a case of thinly-veiled censorship), and Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story was banned from exhibition based on a civil copyright suit for unauthorized use of songs in the soundtrack. The Profit is a really weird case, though; there's a circuit court injunction against its exhibition/distribution worldwide until the Lisa McPherson / Scientology wrongful death case is resolved, despite the fact that Church of Scientology spokespeople have stated that the film has nothing to do with Scientology. Then again, when the Church of Scientology is involved logic tends to go right out the window.
It is slightly off that they were allowed to film inside an asylum in Titicut Follies. The people in there could not give consent to be shown. Of course, stories go it may have helped lead to reform in some asylums...

The two other cases are not really what I would call 'banned'. I guess technically the term might apply, but a movie being made illegally (Superstar) using copyrighted materials without permission not being allowed to make profit isn't quite the same thing... And of course, the Profit just has an injunction.

BTW, one other film that should be mentioned is Nosferatu. Probably the most famous case of a "banned" film. All copies ordered destroyed as it is an unlicensed version of Dracula, but copies got out anyways.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Lartrak wrote:BTW, one other film that should be mentioned is Nosferatu. Probably the most famous case of a "banned" film. All copies ordered destroyed as it is an unlicensed version of Dracula, but copies got out anyways.
Unless its a differant Nosferatu you refer to the film predates all Dracula films as it was the first vampire film, or did they try to claim all vampires were Dracula or something bumd like that?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Lartrak wrote:It is slightly off that they were allowed to film inside an asylum in Titicut Follies. The people in there could not give consent to be shown.
True, but under the circumstances I suspect that was just a convenient excuse to sweep some embarrassing footage under the rug.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

Covar wrote:
mikozero wrote::lol:
only a couple of weeks ago i watched Jonathan Ross show his prostate exam endoscopy tape on his Friday night (& the BBCs flagship) chat show, i'd love to see Letterman try something like that and ride it out.
who wants to see a prostate exam?
it was a comedy item and an encouragement to 'men of a certain age' to go and have theirs done.
Covar wrote:
if you were an active participant in the fate of your nation i might give a fudge about what you have to say.
i'm in the army reserves and am currently up in wisconsin training for 2 weeks.
that's not the kind of participation your country needs, unless you're planning a coup.

but don't take my opinions to heart, i'm sure shooting some brown dudes in a foreign land with prevent the merging of Church and State somehow . . .

Durka, Durka
Last edited by mikozero on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

The internet is proof the demand is out there. Cable tv just caters to the lowest common denominator to keep getting money. I want tv to be completely uncensored, but I should have the option of turning off things I don't want to see. OMG A CURSE WORD OH NOSE IM 12 RIGHT? Nope, I'm a big boy now, I can make my own decisions.

And since when did the FCC have the right to do anything but regulate interference from devices and partition frequency bands? Deceny is an opinion, I'd fight tooth and nail that since they haven't designated what isn't decent they can't charge you with anything.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

They shoehorn the "decency" stuff into the rules for allocating TV/radio broadcast spectrum.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Last edited by MetaFox on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

APE wrote:And since when did the FCC have the right to do anything but regulate interference from devices and partition frequency bands?
If you think the FCC regulations are bad for broadcast television, you should see the regulations they have in place for amateur television. It's crazy.