RACE-NeoGeo Pocket Emu port for dreamcast

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RACE-NeoGeo Pocket Emu port for dreamcast

Post by GPF »

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26920

(R)ather
(A)
(C)ardfighter
(E)mulator
(!)

Full Name: RACE! (As In Koyote-Land)
Original Author: Judge_
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?userid=1670

please check the Readmes.

included is a scrambled binary, place your neogeo pocket roms on the root of the cd and burn the 1st_read.bin in what ever method you need to make a bootable cd.

this uses the menu from KOS's GhettoPlay examples by Dan Potter.

Enjoy,
Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Gotta love this surprises (at least for me it was).
Can't wait to try it!
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Sweet... I gotta buy a new Dreamcast and try this!

Thanks GPF!!! :D
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I couldn't find a download link in your posts, GPF, so here's a link to your site:

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dcrace.shtml
Insane homebrew collector.
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

So...has anyone tried this ? How is the speed and sound etc. ? :roll:
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

I am also wondering about the performance of this as well...I'm out of discs at the moment and was hoping that this would be a reason to get more.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

According to GPF it's full speed with SFX+DAC sound ! :kiss)

(I still haven't tested this beauty myself but I finally will do that today! :D )
Insane homebrew collector.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Haven't tried it myself, but c'mon, this looks like a great release! Burn it if you can! I know I won't be able for a few more days :?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Tested it now. Speed's around full speed, but not quite, imo, and video has old VHS tape-type lines that appear during gameplay, lol. Full-sound, but low quality. And I can't figure out how to get back to the main menu after selecting a game! Can someone please help me out? Also, video is scrunched in the center of the screen. Is full-screen ever gonna happen? Thanks. It IS an amazing release though. Can't wait for an update!

<^_^>
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

jessman wrote:video has old VHS tape-type lines that appear during gameplay, lol
Those are called scanlines. It's a graphic filter meant to make the game look more authentic. I haven't messed with the emulator, but there should be a way to turn that off.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

jessman wrote:Tested it now. Speed's around full speed, but not quite, imo, and video has old VHS tape-type lines that appear during gameplay, lol. Full-sound, but low quality. And I can't figure out how to get back to the main menu after selecting a game! Can someone please help me out? Also, video is scrunched in the center of the screen. Is full-screen ever gonna happen? Thanks. It IS an amazing release though. Can't wait for an update!
Currently there isnt a way to get back to the menu, I still have to implement that
The video isnt scrunched its display at the correct resolution of 160X152., I still need to make a way of stretching it to fill the whole screen.

I think the lines are caused because currently Im not doublebuffering the video so those might be cause by the screen being updated in the middle of a frame.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Maybe it's not a good idea to stretch the display to full 4:3 screen,as 160*152 is almost 1:1.
Maybe vertical black bars should be unavoidable. And not so annoing. Or the emulator can take a certain color of each rom pallete to fill the screen.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

MetaFox wrote:
jessman wrote:video has old VHS tape-type lines that appear during gameplay, lol
Those are called scanlines. It's a graphic filter meant to make the game look more authentic. I haven't messed with the emulator, but there should be a way to turn that off.
No...they weren't scanlines. I know what those are, lol. The VHS-type lines that I was talking about are white and randomly appear and disappear like in old videos. It looks really strange, but doesn't hinder gameplay at all.

<^_^>
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

DCmad wrote:Maybe it's not a good idea to stretch the display to full 4:3 screen,as 160*152 is almost 1:1.
Maybe vertical black bars should be unavoidable. And not so annoing. Or the emulator can take a certain color of each rom pallete to fill the screen.
The original has a JPG image of the Neo Geo Pocket system as a border to fill the screen on the GP2X and GP32. That would be a nice option for the Dreamcast port; pixel-double the 160x152 and then allow for JPG or PNG images for the border. Including a full screen stretched mode as well wouldn't be hard, though, and some people do seem to prefer that. You might even try pixel-triple since that would still fit into 640x480, though I bet it would look pretty horrible or would require a bi-linear filter and so be blurry.

Also, Flavor says he removed the system time check from the source since the GP2X doesn't have a system clock. I don't know if it's just commented out or totally removed, but it would be nice to have that feature in the DC version since the DC does have a clock and some games do in fact use or even rely on the Neo Pocket's internal clock.

I'm a big fan of the Neo Pocket and it's nice to finally see it emulated well on the Dreamcast. That old port of NeoPocott was no good at all. I hoped that a Dreamcast port would be forthcoming when I saw that Flavor had released RACE!, so thanks a lot GPF.

...word is bondage...
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

Nothing wrong with a centered 160x152 image in 320x240 mode. Portable games aren't designed with 4:3 monitors in mind and thus should retain their original aspect ratio.