Get Rid of Your PCs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Get Rid of Your PCs

Post by pixel »

I'm waiting for the inevitable backlash, considering this is loosely translated.
Kotaku wrote: With titles like Red Steel on Wii, Nintendo seems nevertheless to want less and less [association] with children. One said the same thing on Gamecube and finally, they are nevertheless children, in very great majority, who bought. But the very great majority remains children nevertheless.

You do not feel that that can evolve/move with Wii?
With what I saw, frankly, not.

As well as:

It is not because we saw Nintendo announcing this functionality that in six months Sony immediately started to develop something. In six months, it is impossible; this kind of project takes years.

Okay, I'm willing to also buy that. So why did some developers have to allegedly retrofit their original control schemes to adapt to the gyro wizardry of the PS3 controller, while others were completely oblivious to its very existence? It is a mystery.

Now, onto Phil Harrison and how he feels about the best gaming platform ever, the PC.

Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

***throws his computers out the window***

Oh boy!
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

XP MCE like functionality maybe

web browsing, email, messaging, on-line chat, sony movie downloads, sony music downloads, plug in your sony walkman, camera etc, playback of current media formats and (of course) gaming.

so yeah for a kid or someones mom more used to a sky plus box then yeah 'it can replace a PC'

(notice all sony hardware and 'software', see i can be cynical too)

it'll just look like a further extension of Xbox stuff, everyones aiming for the same thing - a locked box for the living room doing all of the above = convergence. they were telling us about it years ago, just now all the console players are gonna be in the same ball park.

and the arguments about coping and originality will fly but in the end they're about as relavent as those in the browser wars.

its also worth remembering that there are two ways of interpreting 'PC' - IBM-PC 'our loveable upgradeable constantly tweakable grey boxes' and 'Personal Computer'

having used many PCs before arriving at IBM-PCs, (Atari STs and Amigas especially) i can see that if you take that interpretation, he has a point. if your not computer savvy and like the look of XP MCE (on a big screen TV) then you may well consider a console with the same immediate functionality as an alternative purchase.

not much point to this post really, as it'll be torn down by nintendy'bots convinced the introduction of real physical skill and coordination into console games is a good thing and, in some cases i'm sure, forgetting why they got into computer games as opposed to real ones in the first place.

"wanna play wii mario tennis ?"
"you know there's a tennis court over the other side of the street there"
"but look, i can play with Sven in Hong Kong with this wand in front of the TV, it is really kinda hard to hit the backhands right though . . . and the serves . . . the ball being invisible outside the TV doesn't help . . ."
"Yeah about that, we were in with those Girls last week till you showed them your 'bushido blade' light saber technique for 3 hours"
"so ? i won"
"do it again and i'm gonna stick that wand up your arse"
Last edited by mikozero on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

MulletMan13 wrote:***throws his computers out the window***

Oh boy!
lol, that statement goes well with your advatar

seeing a lot of sony fanboys aren't the brightest bunch I won't be shocked if someone buys a pc game and tries to play it on their ps3..
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Very sexy hero, omg
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

ASCIIN wrote:seeing a lot of sony fanboys aren't the brightest bunch I won't be shocked if someone buys a pc game and tries to play it on their ps3..
if there's a Linux build and a HDD explain to me why that wouldn't work :P
(and no i'm not a 'fanboy')
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

mikozero wrote:
ASCIIN wrote:seeing a lot of sony fanboys aren't the brightest bunch I won't be shocked if someone buys a pc game and tries to play it on their ps3..
Heh, I hope there is more merit to it this time around.... you know, since it was promised for the PS2 and all....

With the cell processor I really don't see instruction sets getting ported over easily at all.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

mikozero wrote:
because most pc games require direct x..
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

mikozero wrote:Linux build
of the game !

any ID game, a good few UT versions (UTC/2003/2004/2006) and therefore all games based on these popular engines (in theory) and others run in OpenGL (?) under Linux (though usually you have to send off for the disc)

PS3 runs Linux, PS3 games are developed on Linux (i think)
PS3 takes a PC standard HDD (from what i've read)

:idea: actually i'm seeing something else in that now, lots of new console games being developed on and for a Linux Platform.
:?: i wonder if any developers will 'get clever'

it would really piss off microsoft (which would please sony no doubt) if PS3 ports started coming out for Linux (say with a 6 month lag or something).

nah, it'll probably just be like WinCE on the DC, right ? :hah:
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

mikozero wrote:
mikozero wrote:Linux build
of the game !

any ID game, a good few UT versions (UTC/2003/2004/2006) and therefore all games based on these popular engines (in theory) and others run in OpenGL (?) under Linux (though usually you have to send off for the disc)

PS3 runs Linux, PS3 games are developed on Linux (i think)
PS3 takes a PC standard HDD (from what i've read)

:idea: actually i'm seeing something else in that now, lots of new console games being developed on and for a Linux Platform.
:?: i wonder if any developers will 'get clever'

it would really piss off microsoft (which would please sony no doubt) if PS3 ports started coming out for Linux (say with a 6 month lag or something).

nah, it'll probably just be like WinCE on the DC, right ? :hah:
it doesn't run linux, the os is LINUX-BASED which could cause a lot of problems simular to how xbox runs a stripped down version of Dx8 but not the complete version.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

I'm hating Sony more every day. Now their telling me to get rid of my PC. I can't take this crap from them.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ASCIIN wrote:it doesn't run linux, the os is LINUX-BASED which could cause a lot of problems simular to how xbox runs a stripped down version of Dx8 but not the complete version.
It's different, because "Linux" is just a kernel. KDE/Gnome and all that stuff has nothing to do with Linux. Chances are it will simply have a ported and optimized Linux kernel compiled with only the options it needs.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Also, they'll probably hide anything important behind a closed-source kernel module (there are potential legal issues surrounding the distribution of the resulting OS, but it should be possible to dodge them) with restricted interfaces.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

ASCIIN wrote:
mikozero wrote:
because most pc games require direct x..
not to mention the fact that ALL PC games (save for a few old mac titles) are compiled for x86 cpu's and the CELL cant run that, if you are lucky it shares some ISA with the PPC... and no CELL isnt powerfull enough to emulate x86 at reasonable speeds

so basicly you would need a very universal PPC compile of a game coded for linux, OpenGL running on the ps3, and a shit load of luck for the compatibility
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

no CELL isnt powerfull enough to emulate x86 at reasonable speeds
YOU TAKE THAT BACK THE CELL CAN EMULATE ANYTHING EVEN STUFF THATS NOT OUT YET FUCK YOU!!!!!!!111 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Roofus wrote:
no CELL isnt powerfull enough to emulate x86 at reasonable speeds
YOU TAKE THAT BACK THE CELL CAN EMULATE ANYTHING EVEN STUFF THATS NOT OUT YET fudge YOU!!!!!!!111 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
awww did i hurt your sony loving heart?

from what ive read, i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if the PS3 turns out to be less powerfull then the 360, i would actually be surprised if the ps3 is more powerfull
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

The cell emulates a toaster nicely. Unforunately it tends to burn one side and under cook the other.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

:roll: sony are idiots. sorry but its now a offical fact. I will FOREVER use my PC!
Have you played dreamcast today?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I will FOREVER use my PC!
Have fun when I get my own personal Matrix to mess around with.