LCD monitors- Love me long time-

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

LCD monitors- Love me long time-

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Heya. I was thinking about buying a LCD monitor, but I have 1 very important question. I have heard many times that they do not last for that long. Usually 2-4 years depending on the type.

My question is TO EVERYBODY - what brand and type of LCD monitor (that you have seen) lasts the longest and stays in good condition (crisp)?

In a thread a while ago, a few people mentioned they had experience with LCD's at school or at work that have been up and running fine 3-4 years plus. But i cant find the thread.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've never heard of LCDs having problems with longevity. Plasma sets, yes, but not LCDs...
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Darcus Magnus wrote:I've never heard of LCDs having problems with longevity. Plasma sets, yes, but not LCDs...
Well if thats the case, can I get some recommendations on a good monitor (barring longevity)?
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mikozero »

the big hidden problem with LCDs (i've heard) is having to run everything at the same resolution as LCDs native resolution (say 1280 x 1024)

so if you buy a game your GFX card has to be able to run it well @ 1280 x 1024

and if you by another game later on with higher requirements and can't get decent performance running it at @ 1280 x 1024 your only option (other than a crappy blurry image caused by zooming the pixels of the lower resolution you've selected up to the native resolution) is to buy another GFX card which represents substantially more hassle (and a large cash outlay) compared with just clicking the screen resolution down a notch on a CRT.

Selecting a TFT LCD Monitor for Gaming
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I have an LG1750Q and it is awsome and while mikozero is correct they want to run everything at 1280, mine will run things at 800x600 or 1024x756 if I tell it too. It just comes up with a box for a couple of seconds that says "For best picture quality you should change the resolution" but then it goes and runs it at other resolutions fine.

As long as you buy a brand name like LG or samsung you should not have to worry about life, the only problem I've seen with LCD's life are the cheap as china brands.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Just to clarify for you, native resolution really isn't a big deal if you aren't a gamer. Sure you might get pixelated edges in XP, but I doubt it will be a deal breaker for you.

What will be a deal breaker, however, is if you play games that either a.) don't support 1280x1024, or b.) if you're graphics card doesn't support that resolution/is incapable of rendering at a decent clip at that resolution. Playing games at 800x600, 1024x768 or even 1280x960 with an LCD monitor that doesn't have those set as it's native resolution will result in games not looking as good as they would if you played them at the native resolution.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

ace wrote:Just to clarify for you, native resolution really isn't a big deal if you aren't a gamer. Sure you might get pixelated edges in XP, but I doubt it will be a deal breaker for you.

What will be a deal breaker, however, is if you play games that either a.) don't support 1280x1024, or b.) if you're graphics card doesn't support that resolution/is incapable of rendering at a decent clip at that resolution. Playing games at 800x600, 1024x768 or even 1280x960 with an LCD monitor that doesn't have those set as it's native resolution will result in games not looking as good as they would if you played them at the native resolution.
1920x1280 is a touch high for some games on my laptop... I run a lot of them lower, and they look fine to me.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Well I never go that high, but I can definetly tell the difference between 1024x768 and 1280x1024 on an LCD. 1024x768 just doesn't look as clear.
Trend Whore
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Trend Whore »

my samsung 930b looks as clear as the day i got it (early december last year).

crt's are on the way out, might as well get set up with an lcd and dvi now.
these are two separate images, retard
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I've got a Dell 2405FPW, your only choices are to run at native, run at a resolution that fits on the screen using that many pixels, or stretch to fill. For example, 1600x1200 leaves 2 inch wide bars or so on either side of the screen. 640x480 takes up a 5x5 or so square in the middle. Looks fine but it's tiny.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I have a samsung syncmaster 192mp. 19in lcd. It rocks. DVI, VGA, Component, RCA plugs, and coax. I <3 it.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead