Genesis Plus GUI Artwork

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lyris »

Well, once the English menus are finalised someone can provide translations and I can edit 'em. Glad to hear these are going to be used.

We still need icons though...
nogginthenog
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nogginthenog »

Hint, hint - any news :-) ?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

A bit, but mostly on the emulator itself, not the GUI. Neither are even close to where I want them, but at least the emulator is able to run most games with sound and without skipping. The GUI will probably need to be trimmed a bit due to memory constraints.
nogginthenog
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nogginthenog »

Excelent news! I burnt a pre-3 CD with 100s of ROMs yesterday. Many work fine, but some hang the emulator (and I found it doesn't like really long filenames :(). Not to bothered about the menu really, it's the games I want to play :-)

I've got a coders cable on order from Lik-Sang. Never done any DC programming before but I'm a programmer by trade, and have lots of experience programming the Amiga & other hardware. Would love to help out!
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Great news BA. If you need anything, just give me a shout!
(lyris1 AT gmail.com)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sounds great! :)

Btw, during working on Rage of the Streets I just noticed the awesome sound quality with 24khz! I use it for the remastered voice samples in RotS.
24khz really should be a fantastic sound setting - the difference to 22khz is incredible :D
I think that if you'd have got that to work in stereo it'd be more than enuff to keep everyone happy.

Of course optional 48khz just for listening to the games' music would still be sth. nice to have... ;) but I understand that this could be impossible to implement...

Do you think you will implement an optional software rendering mode which would also allow bilinear filtering ? I mean I'd really prefer the hardware acceleration in general, but optional software rendering with bilinear filtering wouldn't be wrong to have too :)
Insane homebrew collector.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The software renderer should be re-implemented (because some games need it), but at the moment it's not really fast enough. It's fine if you disable sound entirely, but really slow if you try to enable it.

I did have a .VGM player implemented a while ago, which is able to handle 44.1KHz easily. Getting that during gameplay probably isn't going to happen. At the moment, it struggles along at 11.5KHz stereo (and mono isn't really any faster). I might give 24KHz a go, and see if it works well enough.
Christuserloeser

VGM is great! Still a mile away from the original hardware but I dunno, it's really sooo much better than GYM! :D

Hm, didn't Stef D. mention once that he was about to rewrite the sound core for Gens from scratch ? ...or does my memory play some trick on me ?

Btw, Chui posted that Fox started to finalize FAZE:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showth ... ge=1&pp=10

...perhaps that would help with improving the performance to allow better sound emulation ?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I haven't even been able to get the latest version of FAME to run in GP/DC - it just locks the entire emulator. Prior versions ran, but around 80% of all the games I'd tried were broken (most locked up, a few had gameplay glitches that made them unplayable).
Christuserloeser

Doesn't sound exactly good. :( I hope that Fox will take a look into it. Last time we talked he seemed to be very interested in contributing to GenesisPlusDC. My hopes in FAZE & FAME are as big as in your PVR renderer - I really didn't believe my eyes when I first saw PVR v3 in action :o

Thank you sooooo much for working on GenesisPlusDC - I probably will be the most lucky man alive once you release a new version of GenesisPlusDC :kiss)

Btw, Lyris - I love your avatars :D
eke-eke
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by eke-eke »

Hi,
I find this topic while looking for compatibility issue with genplus (in fact, not this one but the version for gamecube that softdev mades)

The thing is, I noticed that some games (especially Castle of Illusion and Quackshot) works with no sound in your PRV3 release ... and since I encounteer the same problem in the Softdev's Genplus, I was wondering if you have been able to solve this problem so far or if you have any idea about what could be responsible for that sound issue ...

thanks a lot
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It seems to be an emulation problem in Genesis Plus itself. I've not really investigated it. I'd guess it's probably a problem with timers or interrupts somewhere, but those parts of Genesis Plus are generally pretty accurate.
eke-eke
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by eke-eke »

ok, thank you for your fast answer
so I guess there is nothing much to do yet in order to correct this ?

as the softdev's emu was open source, I hoped modifying the source code would solve the problem :?
but i'm not not sure where the part for timer & interrupt from the original code is...
eke-eke
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by eke-eke »

hum, I compared the frame "updater" task in genplus code (including yours and softdev's one which are actualy the same) with the one in Stef's Gens and they are so much different :!:

could it be possible, as you include cpu core from gens, to include also the main emulator engine (i mean the task which, among other things, execute the 68000 and manage the Z80 IRQ) or is it too platform dependent ?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Anything new to report?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Not really. I've been a tad busy with my new job.

I should really just get the thing working, and start throwing some working builds out there...
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

I really do look forward to that. Maybe something by the 2 year anniversery of the last release (Dec 06)...no rush though
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Christuserloeser

BlackAura wrote:I should really just get the thing working, and start throwing some working builds out there...
Yes ! :D
Khorney
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Khorney »

sorry for the bumpage, but would you be able to answer a couple of my questions?

if so:

is there 32x/mega CD support yet?

Are there save states and gameshark/genie?

any updates ready )()( :P

thanks in advance, ive just ordered my shiny new dreamcast on ebay for 1p (although ?15 P&P) and im looking into some homebrew for it.
Christuserloeser

Congrats on your purchase :D

Make sure you pay DCEvolution.net a visit, we got some nice software hosted, waiting for your download ;)

Also allow me to answer for BA:

1. No/No

2. I remember he wrote somewhere that it would have saving, but maybe no save states (means saving in games that support saving will work, saving at any time in any stage won't). I don't think there's been a final word yet, so it's pretty possible that there could be save states which would require a good bit of space on your VMU - but who would complain about that ?

That brings me to a crazy idea that I had a few days back: I would love to have something like a save state database on disc.... My idea was to put e.g. Bare Knuckle 3 on my disc along with a bunch of wGens/Genecyst saves - and then load them from the disc in GenesisPlusDC... )()(