Any Avi Programs?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any Avi Programs?

Post by Shinto »

What is a good homebrew program that works with Avi's on the DC?
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

DCDivX and uDCDivX are about the only ones I know about. They require special AVI encoding, though.

DreamInducer also plays AVI's, but it uses an older version of the same engine DCDivX uses.

I'm not sure if DCMoviePlayer plays AVI's or not.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

DC Movie Player plays AVI files. Its a really good player, I just wish Bero continued it.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

curt_grymala wrote:
DreamInducer also plays AVI's, but it uses an older version of the same engine DCDivX uses.
I didn't know dreaminducer could play AVI's. :o Guess you learn something new everyday.
nsps
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nsps »

So which program has the best compatibility, if, say, I want to watch some avi data CDs that I've already burned? DC Movie Player?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

jjoepr wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:
I didn't know dreaminducer could play AVI's. :o Guess you learn something new everyday.
There's a program on my old website (it was still up last time I checked) at http://onethirty.8m.com that will work in conjunction with Selfboot Inducer v3 (which was replaced with version 4 quite some time ago) to create DivX movie menus for DreamInducer. Note that the program isn't a plugin for SBInducer, but one that you should run in between certain steps (ie, at the time you'd normally add your roms or whatever) to create your menu.

Um, but that might not help you if Selfboot Inducer 3 isn't available anywhere. Is it still up on DCHelp? It might work with version 4 as well, as long as you only use whichever menu option version 3 used.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

OneThirty8 wrote:
jjoepr wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:
There's a program on my old website (it was still up last time I checked) at http://onethirty.8m.com that will work in conjunction with Selfboot Inducer v3 (which was replaced with version 4 quite some time ago) to create DivX movie menus for DreamInducer. Note that the program isn't a plugin for SBInducer, but one that you should run in between certain steps (ie, at the time you'd normally add your roms or whatever) to create your menu.

Um, but that might not help you if Selfboot Inducer 3 isn't available anywhere. Is it still up on DCHelp? It might work with version 4 as well, as long as you only use whichever menu option version 3 used.
It should work just fine with SBIndv4 and v3, as the menu structure between the two versions did not change at all. burnerO basically just added the ability to selfboot straight from an SBI (without DreamInducer), and added the built-in "readmes" that you can see in SBInducer.

SBIndv3 is still available from DCHelp, as is your DivX 4 SBI app. :D

I haven't tried DCMoviePlayer in a very long time, so I don't know what it's capable of.

If your AVI files were encoded using DivX 5.0.2 or earlier, and encoded at a fairly low bitrate, you should be able to use them with DCDivX without any trouble. DCDivX can browse your discs, and allows you to swap discs. I'm not sure if MoviePlayer has that capability or not, but it's entirely possible.
DreamZone Forums

Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

uDCDivX is a little bit better than DCDivX ( can handle a sightly higher bit rate)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Bero's MoviePlayer is very impressive. It plays about everything at every bitrate (well, not really). Only prob is that Audio/Video is completly out of sync. :?

DS69: Hm, now I wonder why I still use DCDivX b4 for DCEvolution releases... I think I never really tried a later version of uDCDivX, ...perhaps I should give it a go ! Wait, now I remember: it wasn't themeable at all :(

DreamInducer as a AVI player actually is pretty good ! You can achieve about the same audio/video quality and bitrate as with DCDivX b4 (somewhere there was a topic about DCDivX and DreamInducer).

Btw, here are some examples in the SBIffy archive that use DreamInducer to play AVIs (now hosted at DCHelp.net's SBI Repository):
http://dchelp.net/sbi/filesDemos/Delicious-Fixed.sbi
http://dchelp.net/sbi/filesDemos/Variance.sbi
Insane homebrew collector.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

DCDivX is the most stable all round AVI player for the DC so far, uDCDivX can play higher bitrates but it's nowhere near as stable as DCDivX. If you stick with the DCDivX4Dummies tutorial you can create some good discs (if you're not too worried about the quality settings). A nice feature of DCDivX is that it will autoplay your film clips sequentially without interaction with the controller, DCDivX can also be themed easily and has disc swap support.

uDCDivX is themeable Chris but you'll need to hex edit the binary to get it to work (you'll also need to resize the background pic), I also think it uses PNG and not JPG but I'll have to check on that for you. uDCDivX has disc swap support.

DreamInducer uses the DCDivX source code within it (Beta 3 I think) to play AVI files but again it's not that stable (e.g. it struggles with anything other that short movie clips), you can create some really nice themes with this method but the loading times for movies is quite long even for short clips. DreamInducer does not support disc swap.

Bero's MoviePlayer could have easily been the best all round media player for the DC but as with all Bero's work - it's unfinished, it plays AVI files very well with very little loading times, but as already posted, the audio/video is out of sync. Bero's MoviePlayer has disc swap support.

Nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet, but DCPlaya also plays AVI files quite well, you'll have to get rid of the menu box when the movie begins though. DCPlaya can also be configured to use a nice menu or to autoplay a movie but it takes a bit of messing around with the files. DCPlaya has disc swap support.
Across the Universe
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

DCDayDreamer wrote:Nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet, but DCPlaya also plays AVI files quite well, you'll have to get rid of the menu box when the movie begins though. DCPlaya can also be configured to use a nice menu or to autoplay a movie but it takes a bit of messing around with the files. DCPlaya has disc swap support.
I didn't realize DCPlaya played AVI's (or I'd forgot that it does). That's cool.
DreamZone Forums

Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

We really could need someone who got a lot of knowledge of DCPlaya, so we could do some DCEvolution releases featuring DCPlaya and movies, mp3s, etc. I think I never gave it the time it would earn to do a nice theme or play around with the config files, but from the little I saw, it seemed to be VERY themeable and not so hard to set up a decent custom theme.
Insane homebrew collector.