Nintendo Wii bundeled with Opera Browser

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by toastman »

BlackAura wrote:AJAX is a dodgy acronym. Basically, it's just the ability to make requests to a webserver from JavaScript, retrieve a document (usually XML or HTML) and do something with it (either display it, or pull information out of it and display that). It allows you to write applications that can communicate with a web server without needing to constantly reload the page. Stuff like Gmail and Google Maps runs on it.
In other words, Javascript. AJAX stands for (depending on who you ask), Asynchronous Javascript And XML.
It works pretty much as BlackAura describes. The page makes a request to the server, the server processes it and puts it somewhere the page can call it from and notifies the page that it is done. The page then reads this file and updates the current itself with the new information.
It is supposed to make the web-application experience more seamless and less tit-for-tat.
It also has a habit of "breaking the back button". And it is also the new buzzword, although "AJAX" technology has been around for a while now. People are just now using the pieces in this manner.

Just thought I'd expound a little on BA's post.
No signature.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

What's the point? My thoughts can basically be summed up with Nick's posts. I just don't really see who will use this feature outside of the novelty of it -especially since the Revolution won't support high definition.

Surfing the net barely able to read anything is not the way to go. I know, because my monitor is currently dead and I'm currently using my tv for my pc display. Thank god for my iBook.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Opera is built into Wii system ROM, so you can go on the internet through the system Dashboard.

Not essential, but nice. You can also download things while your console is turned 'off'. Its also going to be free without any subscription fees with the purchase of the console.

By comparison with Live - as 'some people' have tried to do;
Live requires a subscription to access *all* online content.
Live doesnt let you do anything except leave your console on downloading while downloading.
Live has no internet access other than whats available through Live.

a quote from my 'favourite' senior Xbox representative: (Specifically talking about Sonys online, but it applies to Nintendo too)
Gamesindustry.biz: Does Sony's announcement that they won't charge a subscription fee on their online service put pressure on you to follow suit on Live?

Peter Moore:Well, on Xbox Live Silver you can do anything except play multiplayer. What Sony has actually announced is that they're pushing the emphasis to the publishers to figure out what they want to charge. They have said, "we're not going to charge you" - but if you truly believe that the publishers are going to build data centres, build user interfaces, network stacks, run bandwidth costs, egress costs, do compatibility with every provider around the world... For free?
er.... yes?
GameSpy, Nintendo WiFi, Sony Online, Steam, All Seeing Eye, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield MC, Counter Strike, Quake 3, Enemy Territory, yada yada yada
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Angry much?

No never.

Like I said before. Any chance I get to support Opera I will. I'm tempted to buy a ds just to use that opera on the go. I <3 using Opera on my tablet pc so I'm hoping the experience is pretty much the same just smaller.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

well they should allow you to make your own server on pc
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Surfing the net barely able to read anything is not the way to go.
PCs are designed with a high res monitor in mind. Did you ever use the Dreamcast online for web browsing? It worked fine, due to magnification options and large font use.

Admittedly, it's not something I would use a whole lot (maybe once in a while if I want to check a FAQ while playing a game and don't feel like getting up), but I'd rather have it than not.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Opera for cellphones work fine too even though it's tiny resolution.

Anyways, this has pushed the wii buying probability up for me by a few %.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Lartrak wrote:
PCs are designed with a high res monitor in mind. Did you ever use the Dreamcast online for web browsing? It worked fine, due to magnification options and large font use.

Admittedly, it's not something I would use a whole lot (maybe once in a while if I want to check a FAQ while playing a game and don't feel like getting up), but I'd rather have it than not.
I still use my Xbox with links browser if I wanna search the net from my bedroom for whatever reason. It's more comfortable in bed then at my computer desk. But I do have a laptop so I don't really need to use it all that often. But my Xbox boots up links a lot faster than my laptop boots up windows > firefox.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Has anyone thought of the possibility of this being used (With a very polished GUI) for downloadable content?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Has anyone thought of the possibility of this being used (With a very polished GUI) for downloadable content?
Why not just have it connect to a website that does the same thing? Rather than making the new GUI for it, just link to a website. Just make it inside of a webpage rather than anything else?

Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Well, maybe it will just be a website, but a seperate app to the browser. What I meant by GUI was that the Opera engine is used but theres a user friendly interface, like XB Live
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

mattthemodder wrote:Well, maybe it will just be a website, but a seperate app to the browser. What I meant by GUI was that the Opera engine is used but theres a user friendly interface, like XB Live
...or just a nintendo portal set as homepage.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

It means that instead of getting up from playing the console to go to the PC to check mail, sites, etc. you don't have to get up and can do it from the TV.

Laziness +1

... but I welcome it :)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

+1 Wii of Laziness
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Lunchbox wrote:There better be a keyboard peripheral coming to the Wii too
I'm sure that with the USB ports that are purportedly on the Wii, that USB keyboards will work with it. There's also the possibility that Bluetooth keyboards could work as well, considering that's what they are using for the controllers. There's also the Gamecube keyboard adapters that came out, which could possibly also work.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Lartrak wrote:

I have a laptop, so I don't have to get up, but I do agree it would be handy for FAQs, cheats, and general game info.

I remember the planet web magnification, and I remember it not being very good. It was a nice feature, but the limited scope made it difficult for me to use. I could read faster than I could scroll so I would end up purposely reading slower. As I said, it will work in a pinch, but you probably won't be using it too often outside of surfing the web on your tv.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Opera's not too bad. I actually paid for it here and there back in highschool.. I downloaded a warez version and thought that the authors were cool and deserved my money lol.

That's cool. I'd prefer Mozilla or Firefox (yeee!!) but Opera's still great!
robotecha5
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by robotecha5 »

seems like its just a nifty add on. I wonder if 360 and ps3 will come out with web browsers?
SEGA FOREVER
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

seems like its just a nifty add on. I wonder if 360 and ps3 will come out with web browsers?
Nifty, yes. But it could be usefull for downloading save files, etc. for your games. Same way you could do with the DC. So not only nifty, but has some use. As for PS3 statement, it was said at E3 I believe that once they've finalized the ps3 dashboard it will have a browser. As they have with the PSP.