Verdict Reached in Moussaoui Sentencing

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

McVeigh's ashes are in prison? That's pretty harsh.

Anyways, I didn't realize you could be executed or get life (in this case, six life sentences) for lieing to authorities. I find that somewhat disturbing.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Well when your lie leads (indirectly or not) to the murder of thousands it's the same as committing the damn murder imo. This man hates America and everything it stands for, and would do anything he can to destroy it.

edit: Oh and I think the I meant was up there about McVeigh.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

butters wrote:Well when your lie leads (indirectly or not) to the murder of thousands it's the same as committing the damn murder imo. This man hates America and everything it stands for, and would do anything he can to destroy it.
Which of the prosecution's arguments convinced you? Because the jurors were there and weren't convinced.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:They were throwing that number around on Fox News yesterday.
I bet they were. I don't consider any cable news channel (with the possible exception of C-SPAN) to be a credible source for analysis, least of all Fox News. Did they give a source or reasoning for that figure?

Roofus wrote:My understanding was that thoe places are reserved for people who do stuff while already in prison.
butters is correct; the supermax (I don't know where "ultramax" came from; the Bureau of Prisons, and every other credible source I've seen, calls them "supermax") prisons are generally reserved for high-profile terrorists / enemies of the state (I sort of wish I could think of a less sinister-sounding way to put that, since to some degree it gives the wrong idea). AFAIK there are only two such federal prisons in the country. I don't know whether any state governments operate comparable ones, but it seems unlikely since any crime of that magnitude is bound to be a federal offense anyway.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Yeah I don't know where Fox News got their numbers; all that I've found is a cost-benefit analysis of operating the supermax facilities. Most of what I've included in this thread are facts that I remember from barely paying attention to the news. I was just looking at this site and they have a lot of interesting info on that prison.

Oh and while I was typing this reply, I managed to spill milk all over my printer...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I seriously doubt it'd cost much to keep him 23 hours in a 4 walled small room. Plus his name will be striken out completely and only reffered to as "The Prisoner" from now on which is pretty harsh, he's not considered a human being at this point! Ouch.

Keep him alive in crappy conditions, it's worth it for his crimes.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
CKRNZ
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by CKRNZ »

and all those countries bitchin about the way we treat muslim extremists in cuba...we treat our OWN criminals worser than we treat those worthless shitbags...atleast our own inmates keep the roads clean and dig our ditches...those worthless shitbags do nothing but consume vital natural resources...
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

CKRNZ wrote:and all those countries bitchin about the way we treat muslim extremists in cuba...we treat our OWN criminals worser than we treat those worthless shitbags...atleast our own inmates keep the roads clean and dig our ditches...those worthless shitbags do nothing but consume vital natural resources...
Yeah. They don't even have to be tried or anything!
CKRNZ
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by CKRNZ »

he's gonna wish he had died and got those virgins mOhammmmmmmmmmm-id promised em...lol...cause he's gonna be a whole buncha inmates "virgin" for sometime to come...gonna be wearin those prison style hot pants.. :rumpshaker: :kiss)
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

AMERICA! F**K YEA!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Roofus wrote:
CKRNZ wrote:and all those countries bitchin about the way we treat muslim extremists in cuba...we treat our OWN criminals worser than we treat those worthless crapbags...atleast our own inmates keep the roads clean and dig our ditches...those worthless crapbags do nothing but consume vital natural resources...
You don't typically put POWs on trial, and we treat our POWs a hell of a lot better than they treat theirs (torture and murder...).
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

butters wrote:
Roofus wrote:
CKRNZ wrote:and all those countries bitchin about the way we treat muslim extremists in cuba...we treat our OWN criminals worser than we treat those worthless crapbags...atleast our own inmates keep the roads clean and dig our ditches...those worthless crapbags do nothing but consume vital natural resources...
You don't typically put POWs on trial, and we treat our POWs a hell of a lot better than they treat theirs (torture and murder...).
I didn't think the US were treating them as POW's. I thought the UN tried to get them too but they refused saying they are not at war with a country or some crap excuse. If they were POW's then the US seriously screwed there rights.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

butters wrote:
Roofus wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The U.S. government has classified the detainees in Camp X-Ray as "illegal combatants," rather than prisoners of war (POWs), which they claim means that they do not have to be conferred the rights granted to POWs under the Geneva Conventions. The U.S. government justifies this designation by claiming that they do not have the status of either regular soldiers nor that of guerrillas, and they are not part of a regular army or militia.
Also from Wikipedia:
An unlawful combatant (also unlawful enemy combatant or unprivileged combatant/belligerent) is a person who is accorded neither the rights a soldier would normally have under the laws of war, nor the civil rights a common criminal would normally have
So, if they were POWs, the Geneva Convention would apply. If they were on US soil, the Constiution would apply. As it is, neither one applies so we can do things like keep them in barbed-wire cages forever.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Tyne wrote:I seriously doubt it'd cost much to keep him 23 hours in a 4 walled small room. Plus his name will be striken out completely and only reffered to as "The Prisoner" from now on which is pretty harsh, he's not considered a human being at this point! Ouch.

Keep him alive in crappy conditions, it's worth it for his crimes.
the 100,000 a year includes the cost for his appeals and court appointed attorneys and so forth. In reality if we looked at just the housing and food cost for him it would most likely be around 13-17,000 a year if that.