Wii

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by atf487 »

BlackAura wrote:
Ipod is easy and makes sense
iPod isn't too hard to pronounce, although it's not really possible to pronounce it as a word, because it's a letter with a word stuck on it. However, the name makes absolutely no sense, has no bearing whatsoever on what the device actually is, and is basically made-up gibberish.
Yeah, the i prefix was something they were doing for awhile, but I don't understand what the "pod" means. I heard a theory about it being the birth of digital music devices, but it seems to be reaching too far into obscurity.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

atf487 wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
Ipod is easy and makes sense
iPod isn't too hard to pronounce, although it's not really possible to pronounce it as a word, because it's a letter with a word stuck on it. However, the name makes absolutely no sense, has no bearing whatsoever on what the device actually is, and is basically made-up gibberish.
Yeah, the i prefix was something they were doing for awhile, but I don't understand what the "pod" means. I heard a theory about it being the birth of digital music devices, but it seems to be reaching too far into obscurity.
Continuing on with that theory, I always just figured it was named that to continue the apple tradition of naming things after apples. This was a seed of their new venture into digital music, but iSeed sounds stupid - so they just chose to call it pod instead (ie: pea pod). Again, this is just assumption, but that explanation always made sense to me.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I always thought it was a pod, because it is a single object which stores numerous mp3s, in the same way a pea-pod (or any other kind of pod) stores numerous seeds. The "i" is just Apple branding. Wii on the other hand is completely undefinable.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:I always thought it was a pod, because it is a single object which stores numerous mp3s, in the same way a pea-pod (or any other kind of pod) stores numerous seeds. The "i" is just Apple branding. Wii on the other hand is completely undefinable.
To be honest, I was able to understand Wii pretty quickly, considering Nintendo's typical focus on multiplayer (real multiplayer, not anonymous online multiplayer). However, I still don't know what iPod stands for.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The "i" in iPod, iMac, iLife, iWork and iBook is to denote it as a consumer product. Apple's professional software suites and computers lack the "i".
Dictionary.com wrote:Pod n.

1. Botany.
A dehiscent fruit of a leguminous plant such as the pea.
A dry, several-seeded, dehiscent fruit. Also called seedpod.
2. Zoology. A protective covering that encases the eggs of some insects and fish.
3. A casing or housing forming part of a vehicle, as:
A streamlined external housing that encloses engines, machine guns, or fuel.
4. Aerospace. A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation.
5. Something resembling a pod, as in compactness
Is an iPod compact? Check. Is it a detachable compartment to carry instrumentation? Check. Both are a stretch, but it makes sense to me.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Wii is an abstract name but the problem is when Nintendo tried to attach a meaning to it that to me is the source of confusion. It's also very hard to pronounce in most countries and brings to many miscomunications, like wee and oui, it doesn't sound great neither so I don't know what they have to win with a name like that. Just look how many words Nintendo needed to explain the word, it's just bad.

Ipod is pretty straight forward I think but it's not so direct like the name "Gameboy" it's more subtle. More answers here for pod, or POD.

pod = compact, storage.
Last edited by Pyrite on Tue May 02, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I always thought it was a pod, because it is a single object which stores numerous mp3s, in the same way a pea-pod (or any other kind of pod) stores numerous seeds. The "i" is just Apple branding. Wii on the other hand is completely undefinable.
To be honest, I was able to understand Wii pretty quickly, considering Nintendo's typical focus on multiplayer (real multiplayer, not anonymous online multiplayer). However, I still don't know what iPod stands for.
Youre missing my point. "Pod" is already a word, Wii isn't. Comparing the 2 is pretty dumb. You dont pronounce it "ihpod", you pronounce it "eyepod" because youre' seperating the i apart from the word. So it isnt some randomly made up gibberish like Wii is, it is an actual existant word being used to describe a product.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Youre missing my point. "Pod" is already a word, Wii isn't. Comparing the 2 is pretty dumb. You dont pronounce it "ihpod", you pronounce it "eyepod" because youre' seperating the i apart from the word. So it isnt some randomly made up gibberish like Wii is, it is an actual existant word being used to describe a product.
Ah, your right. I did miss your point. :lol:
CKRNZ
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by CKRNZ »

sounds like a name nintendo purposefully chose...in japanese who knows what its meaning is...but to english KIDS..it will be music to their ears...cutesy name..that will sell billions of consoles...to kids of course...nintendo likes deh kids...profitable bunch..nintendo knows kids will bug their parents silly for the new "wii".....
CKRNZ
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by CKRNZ »

Pyrite wrote:Wii is an abstract name but the problem is when Nintendo tried to attach a meaning to it that to me is the source of confusion. It's also very hard to pronounce in most countries and brings to many miscomunications, like wee and oui, it doesn't sound great neither so I don't know what they have to win with a name like that. Just look how many words Nintendo needed to explain the word, it's just bad.

Ipod is pretty straight forward I think but it's not so direct like the name "Gameboy" it's more subtle. More answers here for pod, or POD.

pod = compact, storage.

how do we know its not pronounced as "why"?....
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Have you even looked into it? Bloody hell! The very beginning of the thread it says Wii, pronounced as "we"
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
CKRNZ
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by CKRNZ »

no not really....lol
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Well theres your answer! :wink:

Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

http://www.deviantart.com/view/32523123/

Pretty funny flash animation worth a look.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

pixel wrote:The "i" in iPod, iMac, iLife, iWork and iBook is to denote it as a consumer product. Apple's professional software suites and computers lack the "i".
Dictionary.com wrote:Pod n.

1. Botany.
A dehiscent fruit of a leguminous plant such as the pea.
A dry, several-seeded, dehiscent fruit. Also called seedpod.
2. Zoology. A protective covering that encases the eggs of some insects and fish.
3. A casing or housing forming part of a vehicle, as:
A streamlined external housing that encloses engines, machine guns, or fuel.
4. Aerospace. A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation.
5. Something resembling a pod, as in compactness
Is an iPod compact? Check. Is it a detachable compartment to carry instrumentation? Check. Both are a stretch, but it makes sense to me.
The "i" in apple products stands for internet.
It says on the original iMacs I don't know if it says it on any of the newer stuff. I just remebr it standing for that.
Such as the iBook means it is ready for internet and the i in iPod means it is meant to be used in conjunction with the internet, and the Pod probaly does mean what MetaFox mentioned earlier. Well whoever said that anyways.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:Have you even looked into it? Bloody hell! The very beginning of the thread it says Wii, pronounced as "we"
Nintendo must have taken into account that there maybe issues with this in other countries?

Based on pronounciation, In France it's gonna sound like the "Nintendo Yes" and over here, well we've already heard all the wee wee jokes. Surely they sound come up with a different name for outside Japan.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I still don't immediately think of piss, I think of this flash animation or something I saw a few years ago "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" all I remember about it is a squirrel though... and gonads... :lol:

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Matisfaction wrote:Surely they sound come up with a different name for outside Japan.
This is not the 1980s anymore. You can't get away with releasing a product with different names in different countries (MegaDrive vs Genesis, for example).
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

BlackAura wrote:
Matisfaction wrote:Surely they sound come up with a different name for outside Japan.
This is not the 1980s anymore. You can't get away with releasing a product with different names in different countries (MegaDrive vs Genesis, for example).
I mentioned that in the beginning of either this thread or another. I still don't see why they couldn't, but hey that's just me.

Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

The Japanese hate/can't pronounce it neither.

I can't see the problem with the Revolution name, even the average Joe would be interested in trying the console because they would want to see what's so revolutionary about Nintendo's console and the revmote does raise some curiosity.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/