Wii

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

i like the same sounds like its expressing something that is FUN

i find it funny that so many people are hating on the name omg teh name is tep stupid it gonna suck unless they change name omg teh ps3 will eat all

um whatever

these are the same people that was like o no not cell shaded zelda

wtf ds thats stupid 2 screens i dont wanna touch a screen no analog numb o nooooooooos teh psp is like a ps2 dude it gonna kill the ds

nintendogs omg this ia a stupid kids game this sucks teh psp rules

wtf brain age no thanks i go to teh school enough to no psp rules they got grand theft auto does ds got a grand thefty auto no they kot puppys and a game that u do math and word problems and stuff
umm ok whatever

not to soon after they all change and say stuff like

omg zelda windwaker is awesome it owns

omg the ds is pwning the psp

nintendogs is awesome i cant belive how a stupid sounding kids game can be so bad ass take that gta lc
brainage rules its so awesome and fun look my brain is at 30 years old now how cool
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

This name is indisputably dumb. It makes no sense. Everybody thought that Revolution was bad ass. It stated the point of the system better than "wii" ever will. "Wii" looks like some sort of Hawaiian dance or something.

Plus, they flush all the hype for the Revolution down the crapper. People will go "huh? what the f*ck is a...Wii? Wii? The hell does Wii mean?"

I think somebody at Nintendo was smoking the crack.

In terms of the Xbox 360, me and my friends just call it "the 360," which, on its own, isn't a bad name. Xbox isn't very good, but it sure as hell trounces "Wii."

Wii sounds childish, yet children won't know what the hell it's actually supposed to mean. Teenagers will write it off as "uncool" -- can you imagine asking someone at school if they want to play with your "Wii"? The adult market will either see it as juvenile (Nintendo is making phallic jokes! Oh no! Soccer mom police to the rescue...), or won't "get it." I'm speaking in general terms, but I dunno who the heck Nintendo is trying to appeal to. It's not catchy; it's awkward. I think in trying to be different, Nintendo really went way out in left field here.
Very sexy hero, omg
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Nick wrote:To be honest, I'll buy one, but there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna buy any "Wii" merch from a store. It's all going to be online. I'm also going to be silent about it, and mention its name as little as possible. Imagine going into Toys R Us and asking for a Wii, and all the little kids and their mothers turning around and staring. Christ.

It's a testament to the faith I have in Nintendo that I'll buy the thing at all. Seriously, that name is embarassing.

"Excuse me sir, what's that sleek looking device under your TV?"
"Why, that's my Wii!"
"...your Wii?"
"Yes, my Wii! Wanna see?"
"Err...no, that's quite alright..."
Ugh.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

liltimmyw wrote:
Nick wrote:To be honest, I'll buy one, but there's no way in hell I'm ever gonna buy any "Wii" merch from a store. It's all going to be online. I'm also going to be silent about it, and mention its name as little as possible. Imagine going into Toys R Us and asking for a Wii, and all the little kids and their mothers turning around and staring. Christ.

It's a testament to the faith I have in Nintendo that I'll buy the thing at all. Seriously, that name is embarassing.

"Excuse me sir, what's that sleek looking device under your TV?"
"Why, that's my Wii!"
"...your Wii?"
"Yes, my Wii! Wanna see?"
"Err...no, that's quite alright..."
Ugh.
[????]
Very sexy hero, omg
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Am I the only person on the internet who didn't think of some piss/penis joke when I read the name?
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

liltimmyw wrote:Am I the only person on the internet who didn't think of some piss/penis joke when I read the name?
yes. but i usually try to make everything sound perverted.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

liltimmyw wrote:Am I the only person on the internet who didn't think of some piss/penis joke when I read the name?
I figure if I get it out of my system now, I might be able to ask the EBGames clerk for some Wii games with a straight face.

Half laughing at the "wtf" factor, half laughing at the "ha, WEE and WEINER" factor.
Very sexy hero, omg
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No. I didn't, and neither did my younger brother. My first thought was "Huh? What's that then?", and his was "Wheeeeeee!"

That said, our parents never used stupid kiddy names for anything when we were kids. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I think the name is pretty strange though. They're clearly serious about going for the "everybody else" category, and if that upsets the 12 year old boys who like to act like they're 20 but are actually as mature as a 6 year old, tough nuts. Good for them. I just hope it doesn't backfire - a lot of people (males mostly) never seem to get over the adolescent idiocy phase.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

In Japan as well, America was the odd one out for that system.
Yeah, you guys got the generic bland name, we got the ridiculous but cool sounding name. I think we won that one.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:Also notice that most of their list of trademarks include the word Microsoft before the word.
Actually, that's not true. I looked at their trademark list to find those examples, and only about 10 on the entire list include "Microsoft". A search of the USPTO database seems to indicate that Microsoft isn't just leaving it off on their list. If you think MS is some kind of fluke, try these, just off the top of my head, thinking of some common household cleaning products:

Downy
All (okay, "downy" and "all" aren't nouns, but the point is the same) edit: actually, I was wrong - "all" is a noun, just not used that way very often.
Tide
Gain
Shout
Dawn
Joy
Pride
Pledge
Resolve

Are these also all exceptions to the established rules?
Last edited by Ex-Cyber on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

as a ninty fanboy, wheeee is how I feel about their next gen console. I'm really looking forward to it and sincerely hope that they can pull it off and rectify some problems that they've had with both the n64 and the cube.

Personally, I kinda liked the revolution or even the "go" name better than what they chose, but that's just my two cents; nothing more.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Actually, I still don't see it. Everytime I see the name, I instinctively think 'why', not 'we'.
Number Six
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Number Six »

Smiley wrote:as a ninty fanboy, wheeee is how I feel about their next gen console. I'm really looking forward to it and sincerely hope that they can pull it off and rectify some problems that they've had with both the n64 and the cube.

Personally, I kinda liked the revolution or even the "go" name better than what they chose, but that's just my two cents; nothing more.
LOL! You said "rectify." HAHAHAHA!!!!

:|
DARKGATE wrote:look me in the my balls eyes :o
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

lol
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I couldn't care less about the name. I just want to play with my wee.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
butters wrote:Also notice that most of their list of trademarks include the word Microsoft before the word.
Actually, that's not true. I looked at their trademark list to find those examples, and only about 10 on the entire list include "Microsoft". A search of the USPTO database seems to indicate that Microsoft isn't just leaving it off on their list. If you think MS is some kind of fluke, try these, just off the top of my head, thinking of some common household cleaning products:

Downy
All (okay, "downy" and "all" aren't nouns, but the point is the same) edit: actually, I was wrong - "all" is a noun, just not used that way very often.
Tide
Gain
Shout
Dawn
Joy
Pride
Pledge
Resolve

Yeah, a word can be a trademark. That's the whole point of trademarks, that they are a single identifying mark for your trade. No one else can make a dish detergent named Dawn, because P&G own the trademark. They have the exclusive right in perpetuity to market dish detergent as Dawn as long as they defend that right.
A trademark can also become a word. Frisbee and Yoyo were both trademark names until their respective companies failed to defend their trademarks.
No signature.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

toastman wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:

Downy
Tide
Gain
Shout
Dawn
Joy
Pride
Pledge
Resolve

Yeah, a word can be a trademark. That's the whole point of trademarks, that they are a single identifying mark for your trade. No one else can make a dish detergent named Dawn, because P&G own the trademark. They have the exclusive right in perpetuity to market dish detergent as Dawn as long as they defend that right.
A trademark can also become a word. Frisbee and Yoyo were both trademark names until their respective companies failed to defend their trademarks.
OK I was wrong :)

I do seem to remember something about a trademark only being applicable to a certain type of product. So if Nintendo had named it the Tide, they could because P&G is in a different field.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I think they'd stilll probably go to court over it though. It is highly unlikely that anyone would ever confuse the two products, but I'm sure Tide doesn't want their trademarked name used anywhere else.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Have Nintendo started employing geordies to come up with new console names?

Wi, i man!

Sorry :(
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

gamedudex2 wrote:i like the same sounds like its expressing something that is FUN

i find it funny that so many people are hating on the name omg teh name is tep stupid it gonna suck unless they change name omg teh ps3 will eat all

um whatever

these are the same people that was like o no not cell shaded zelda

wtf ds thats stupid 2 screens i dont wanna touch a screen no analog numb o nooooooooos teh psp is like a ps2 dude it gonna kill the ds

nintendogs omg this ia a stupid kids game this sucks teh psp rules

wtf brain age no thanks i go to teh school enough to no psp rules they got grand theft auto does ds got a grand thefty auto no they kot puppys and a game that u do math and word problems and stuff
umm ok whatever

not to soon after they all change and say stuff like

omg zelda windwaker is awesome it owns

omg the ds is pwning the psp

nintendogs is awesome i cant belive how a stupid sounding kids game can be so bad ass take that gta lc
brainage rules its so awesome and fun look my brain is at 30 years old now how cool
The point is that the casual gamers will say "Wii? Gay." And that is a problem.