Wii

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TyBO »

Wow... this name sucks. Lets start an online petition to get them to change it!!

In all seriousness though, maybe it will grow on me... originally I thought the name "Revolution" was stupid but that grew on me.

BTW... I just realized... it's no longer the Revmote, it's the Wiimote!!!

:guffaw:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

JellyWarrior wrote:Disney's "Winnie the Pooh"
Ahem..Disney's? I don't think so. :P
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

:o

I dunno what to say. I'll still get one.

They should do this. You know back in the genesis days it was called the Mega Drive in PAL regions (I guess all of the PAL regions? not sure). Do the same thing with this. Keep it as Wii in Japan, rebrand it revolution or go (either is better than wii) in other countries.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

I want to pronounce it "Why" just so I can say "Nintendo, WHYYYY?!"
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

BoneyCork wrote:
It actually is Disney who makes the movies and cartoons based off of Winnie the Pooh.
Very sexy hero, omg
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Nick wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
It actually is Disney who makes the movies and cartoons based off of Winnie the Pooh.
Not to mention that fact that they now own the characters and the rights to the AA Milne books.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I'm confused. They are trying to sell this whole "we" idea, but their most dedicated market is in Japan. What is their explanation of why they named the console Wii to the Japanese when they don't know what "we" means?
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

MetaFox wrote:
Nick wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Not to mention that fact that they now own the characters and the rights to the AA Milne books.
LOL, kinda makes me look even more stupid hey.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I think I'll just call it a Revolution. I don't know if I can handle "Wii."
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I have this theory that if you think about something too long you can convince yourself that something that's horrible is actually good. If anyone read the IGN interview with a Nintendo rep, they said they were thinking of a name for the machine for over a year.

Maybe they thought about it for so long that Wii sounded good.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Still going to get it.
No signature.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

toastman wrote:Still going to get it.
Amen.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

You are not who I am worried about. I'm worried about the people that either have no clue about this system, or already are put off by the controller.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

melancholy wrote:
You are not who I am worried about. I'm worried about the people that either have no clue about this system, or already are put off by the controller.
When these people are in Best Buy and try out Madden using the controller, they'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

butters wrote:
melancholy wrote:
When these people are in Best Buy and try out Madden using the controller, they'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Assuming Madden comes out for the "Wii" and plays well (edit: looks like it is coming). I mean really, I can't wrap my head around playing most sports games with the thing. It look like they'll be based on one or two gimmicky gameplay functions like making a throwing motion to throw a ball or something. Good luck to you on that one, EA.

Anyways, after reading that description for why they chose "wii" it seems to me that they put way too much thought into it. It's like they're going the 360 approach in that they're trying to use the name to convey the experience, except wii needs a lot more explaining to make sense.
Last edited by Lunchbox on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

the "Wii" name is really stupid being a fanboy I am. However I thought the name "360" was retarded too. However are you really buying a system for the name.HELL NO, your buying a system for its games.
however after a dicussion with some people, were going to still call it revoltion because it sounds better then "wii" IMO.
Have you played dreamcast today?
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

Two guys in a church...

guy 1> I'm bored...
guy 2> i know! let's go home and play with my wii
preist> :o
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

On the other hand, Nintendo haters can now be accused of simply having Wiiner envy. :roll:

I think it's worth keeping in mind that most console names are stupid on one level or another. In this case it's just more juvenile than usual.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

The thing is, I know the games are gonna be great. Nintendo's first party stuff is always killer so I will be getting one regardless.

I think the problem is Nintendo's trying to do this slightly oddball ubermodern stylee thing. iPod esque design, which they've actually done quite well I think, even if it is a bit off the wall which may turn a few people off. I think the naming is going for a little of that ubermodern chic too- think viao, aibo, ipod... unfortunately wii is pretty bad compared to those.

I understand the graphic quality of the name, when designing logos you really have to consider the animatable quality, and two "i"s do look like people, which is clever... it's a shame only graphic designers and not marketers were at the meeting...

still... nintendo must have balls of iron to make a move like this, at least wii is a more innovative name than x-box360 or ps3 *yawn*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I think it's worth keeping in mind that most console names are stupid on one level or another. In this case it's just more juvenile than usual.
True...Nintendo Entertainment System. Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Fami(ly) Com(puter). Mega Drive. Play Station. X Box. Turbo Graf-x. PC Engine. Video Computer System. Dream Cast. Game Boy. Wonder Swan. Virtual Boy. Say them all slowly.

I suppose "Revolution" would be pretty ostentatious...almost as much so as "Genesis." And can you imagine the advertising? Misappropriated snippits from John Lennon songs; it would be the worst misuse of music since those CCR Levi's ads.

...though there's no denying: Wii does kinda take the cake for silliness. I'd have to say WonderSwan and Dreamcast get second and third place, though (I never did get why they chose that over "Katana").