need a distro that boots fast and supports madwifi

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

need a distro that boots fast and supports madwifi

Post by chrisfbt1 »

can anyone suggest anything, i'm stuck using the crappy pc in the student center right now because it takes my p3 700mhz with 128mb ram laptop 6 minutes to boot ubuntu with gnome and kde removed and the kernal compiled for p3 with openbox as my wm
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Uh, you have some major issues if it takes 6 minutes to boot. I can boot Ubuntu in a bit over a minute on a Pentium II 366mhz with 160MB memory.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Ummm, check with dsl. It should boot faster and you could probably get the drivers from somewhere if they are not automatically configured.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

thanks i installed dsl it takes about 1 minute to boot
and it looks like my wireless card works (it detects it but i'm not near a hotspot so i cant test it)
chozen2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by chozen2 »

Kanotix!
A wise man once said, "As a wise man once said, 'It is better to phail completely and admit you suck, than miss perfection slightly and pretend you pwn.'"
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

chrisfbt1 wrote:thanks i installed dsl it takes about 1 minute to boot
and it looks like my wireless card works (it detects it but i'm not near a hotspot so i cant test it)
maybe not ....
after trying to install anything with synaptic it removes everything and breaks the system

this happened twice installing completely different packages

apt-get works fine though

i'll try kanotix next though thanks
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

ummm, you need to install the dsl-dpkg extension before you try installing stuff. That is because dsl does not include dpkg. Just ask at the forums there.

In fact, I am making custom dsl cds. I have sent one to a ceratin forum member (it came back as returned because I messed up on the state), and I think it would work just adding one thing. I will see about making one for you and uploading it somewhere so you can download (ONCE!) and burn.
chozen2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by chozen2 »

I'll host it if you bring me the cd... I have plenty of bandwidth.
A wise man once said, "As a wise man once said, 'It is better to phail completely and admit you suck, than miss perfection slightly and pretend you pwn.'"
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

So do I.

I will have it up by wednesday, christfbt1. Any customizations (from the mydsl repository) that you would like, lemme know.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

thanks for the help
I actually figured it out and am very happy with dsl
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Oh lol, I never actually got it up. Lol. I was having problems just adding dsl-dpkg. It ket giving me coasters. It kept screaming that I did not have rights to the knoppix drive, and so it did not correctly copy the iso over. Sorry about that.