Nintendo GDC Keynote (New Zelda, Gen/TG16 to Rev.)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nintendo GDC Keynote (New Zelda, Gen/TG16 to Rev.)

Post by DaMadFiddler »

No juicy details in the speech--Iwata mostly talked about Nintendo's market strategy and design philosophy. However, there were two important pieces of information:

- Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for DS this year
(cel-shaded, touchscreen controlled)

- Revolution download service will include roughly 1000 Genesis and TG-16 games
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Revolution download service will include roughly 1000 Genesis and TG-16 games
:o
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Nintendo GDC Keynote (New Zelda, Gen/TG16 to Rev.)

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:- Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for DS this year
Awesome, so that actually means it will probably come out somewhere around Spring 2008! Can't wait!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am still waiting to see what they charge for downloading older games. I bet it will be outrageous knowing Nintendo. I sent them a e-mail asking and they replied with some canned answer that basically said they didn't know yet.

Considering Nintendo wants $20 for old NES games on GBA, I won't be surprised if they ask outrageous amounts for these games. I also wonder if they will have save support like most of your emulators offer? I have to say I am spoiled on save support. Too many older games are just too long to not have save support (IE battletoads, Rygar, Sonic 3D Blast, etc etc). And passwords, don't get me started. I wish I had $1 for every time I lost my place in a NES games because I wrote the password down wrong or simply couldn't read it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Veggita: Unlike those GBA games, there is no cost to make a cartridge. They could charge a dollar for mario 1 and make 99 cents off every sale because the game is like 64 kbs. Miyamoto said the fee would be 'minimal', but I don't like more than 5 dollars an NES game would fly with the public.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: Nintendo GDC Keynote (New Zelda, Gen/TG16 to Rev.)

Post by Smiley »

DaMadFiddler wrote:No juicy details in the speech--Iwata mostly talked about Nintendo's market strategy and design philosophy. However, there were two important pieces of information:

- Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for DS this year

- Revolution download service will include roughly 1000 Genesis and TG-16 games
good news about being able to dl both genesis and tg16 games (hope it also includes some of the cd based games, cause that's what most tg16 fanboys are prolly gonna wanna play.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Fragger wrote:
Revolution download service will include roughly 1000 Genesis and TG-16 games
:o
Thats friggin sweet. I love the TG16. Great scrollers and shooters.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

More detailed write-ups ("borrowed" from IGN):
Designed in the style of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass features similar cel-shaded stylings for its 3D engine, with traditional top-down gameplay (using a hovering and semi-mobile camera in a locked perspective) and a map along the bottom screen.
In a press release simultaneously with an announcement made during Nintendo's keynote speech at GDC 2006 this morning, Nintendo announced that Sega and Hudson have signed on as partners for the Revolution's Virtual Console service. With this, the emulators will be best games from the two companies for the TurboGraphix-16 (or PC-Engine, as it was called in Japan) and Sega Genesis will be downloadable and playable for the Revolution.

Curiously, only Sega Genesis games were mentioned as planned for the Virtual Console system in the deal with Sega (um, hello? Master System? Saturn? Game Gear? 32X?!?), but the partnership promises that many of the best out of the Genesis' 1,000+ gaming library will be available for the Revolution. Individual deals will have to be worked out with publishers for titles to be released on the Revolution, but with a growing interest in classic gaming, publishers and license owners will hopefully be fast to get on-board with Genesis support. And considering that most of the TurboGraphix-16's games released were published and/or developed by Hudson and NEC, it seems that the vast majority of games for the system will automatically fall into that partnership without much more licensing work from the company.

...So far, it's sounding like only first-party games (though I'm sure third-party contracts are in negotiation). So that probably means no Rondo of Blood, at least for now. That's still one hell of a lot of games, though :o
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

damn, inclusion of sega titles RAWKS!!!! now if only they would bother to also include saturn games, i have some games i feel like trying for that system (nowhere near enough to bother getting one though, mainly radiant silvergun)

dreamcast most likely is a bit to much to ask from the Rev to emulate, but if they could get everything up to the saturn supported, that would rock! and even if the saturn wont be included, genesis has some good games

and ive heard good stuff about the TG16 too, nice shooters

looks like i might get a Rev just for a few select games from ninty themselves and a lot of those downloads
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hey, yeah, that might be a good point. If they added SegaCD/Saturn/SuperCD support, they could offer both downloadable games and offer actual disc support. Now all we need is some crafty third party (Rand? ;)) to come up with and market a PlayStation/PS2 emulator, and you would never need another console ever again!
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

IGN wrote:...the partnership promises that many of the best out of the Genesis' 1,000+ gaming library will be available for the Revolution.
It looks as if the actual number of Genesis/Mega Drive titles available will be a lot less than 1000.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

az_bont wrote:
IGN wrote:...the partnership promises that many of the best out of the Genesis' 1,000+ gaming library will be available for the Revolution.
It looks as if the actual number of Genesis/Mega Drive titles available will be a lot less than 1000.
As long as all the best Mega Drive games are included I don't mind about that.

The Revolution seems pretty exciting.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

JellyWarrior wrote:The Revolution seems pretty exciting.
That's gotta be understatement of the year!
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

*DROOL* the new zelda looks amazing i like the direction. I was hoping they would keep with the celda for the DS.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Just imagine all the rare / Japan-only Genesis games that could finally get a western release with the Rev's virtual console! Eliminate Down, Panorama Cotton, Alien Soldier, Pulseman, Monster World IV... a non-butchered version of Streets of Rage 3... a non-butchered version of Contra Hard Corps... the ultra-rare Phantasy Star port...
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

wow i just saw a zelda Vid, im quite impressed, very nice graphics, not on par with the gamecube, but certainly above the n64, quite impressive, and very nice looking touch screen feats, making notes on your map screen, steering your boomerang, plotting courses across oceans!
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

OMFG that is the coolest news I have heard. I got stomach flu. have pity on me :(. this news cheered me up though.
Have you played dreamcast today?
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

Dreamcast4life wrote:I got stomach flu.
That seems to be going around in this neck of the woods...
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Yay, we can play old games on our new consoles.

...wait a second...

Zelda DS sounds boss though.
Very sexy hero, omg