HDMI and Dreamcast

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

yes, because tehre are two types of dvi, the ones that can do that, and the ones that can't. in this case you can't really convert from the analog vga to the digital hdmi without problems (which i didn't know).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Thomas
Thomas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Thomas »

Prophet][ wrote:
Thomas wrote:I remember seeing some vga to component cables awhile back. They were around $120 though.
you sure that wasn't vga to composite. vga is pretty much component with extra signals for syncs and the like.
It was, my mis-type.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Actually the Xbox 360 doesn't have digital output. It's Analog only over Component.

A $10 VGA to Component cable won't work unless your TV specifically accepts RGBHV signals over the Component jacks (highly unlikely).

A Key Digital KD-VTCA3 transcoder ($200 or so) is the best option to convert the VGA 640x480 Dreamcast output into 480p to be input over the Component jacks.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Hey Lyris, I've been looking for a converter like that for a while as my TV accepts up to component video. What would the quality gain be on a 42 inch TV using VGA to composite versus using straight S-Video?
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

You mean converting a VGA signal to Composite? It would look worse than S-Video. In fact, the native Composite output of the DC would probably look the same or better.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Der, stupid close-sounding video terms. I meant component, not composite. So yeah, between VGA - COMPONENT video vs straight shot s-video which would look better, and what would be the quality difference?
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

VGA --> component, would have pretty much no loss as most of it is straight through.

VGA --> composite, would have severe quality loss and is not worht it unless you really need to.

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circ ... _hires.gif

That AD722 IC costs almost $30AUS, so its not a cheap design, I'm thinking of making one though and trying to get the parts through uni so I don't have to pay.
Last edited by Prophet][ on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

So the difference of using s-video vs using VGA - component would be about the same difference (quality wise) as s-video and VGA , correct? Would this be as noticeable on a 42 inch projection TV where my input options are s-video and component video? Also, would this setup be fine for feeding my PC into my television?

Sorry if 3 posts pop up by me, the last two i put in mysteriously dissappeared.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

fatheadpi wrote:So the difference of using s-video vs using VGA - component would be about the same difference (quality wise) as s-video and VGA , correct?
Indeed.
Would this be as noticeable on a 42 inch projection TV where my input options are s-video and component video?
I wouldn't think you would notice any difference between component and vga. So I would rather turn a vga plug into a compont then use s-video
Also, would this setup be fine for feeding my PC into my television?
My mate does this on his 106cm plasma and it looks aswome. (as long as your TV can take the resolution)
Sorry if 3 posts pop up by me, the last two i put in mysteriously dissappeared.
I can only see one
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

So the difference of using s-video vs using VGA - component would be about the same difference (quality wise) as s-video and VGA , correct?
Component done properly would give you 480p which is a huge leap over S-Video (which in America has 480i maximum). There's better colour resolution as well.

As Prophet said, between Component and VGA there's hardly any difference (unless your TV is very lousy at handling Component, but that's very unlikely).
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Killer, hink I found my next upgrade for the compy and the DC. Saw one or two full on converters on the web for around 120, gotta pick one out. Too bad the all-in-wonders don't have a VGA input or I could just put that cash towards a new GFX card.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

you mean $120 for a VGA to component? thats a rip. You could make one for $10 using that circuit diagram I posted above.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Know any place I could buy a prebuilt board? Between my job and OC'ing some DC's I've lost ALL interest in building circuits for a while.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Yeah, tried that. The only units I see tha are actual boxes to do what I need start at $140. I'm pretty sure you can't just use the VGA- component cables as I don't think they have the IC in them.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Prophet, that diagram you posted - how would I go about using that to make a VGA to Component box? Wouldn't I need a chip to do the RGB to YPbPr conversion and also combine the Composite Sync and Y outputs?
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

BTW Prophet, just had a better look. That diagram you posted wouldn't work. It just converts RGB to RGBHV. Component needs RGB converted to Colour Difference Video (YPbPr).
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Lyris wrote:BTW Prophet, just had a better look. That diagram you posted wouldn't work. It just converts RGB to RGBHV. Component needs RGB converted to Colour Difference Video (YPbPr).
That is different type of component. Their is more than one type, about 6 that I know of. So yea, it does depend on what your TV takes and even where you live. But traditional component is just RGB, and I *think* most newer TVs can tell the difference between them and automaticly ajust to which your using.

Also, the sync is not needed on TV's like it is on mointers. I don't know about overseas but the TV's I've seen don't have a snyc on them (with component that is, obviously SCART can have this). The circuit for combining the snyc is very simple, you just need a couple of resisters, and XOR IC and a transistor.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Most consumer TVs will only take Y/Pb/Pr - RGB over Component is definitely not the norm. What are the other types?

Occasionally you'll find some TVs that let you choose: some Sharp LCD TVs let you choose between RGB and Y/Pb/Pr.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

If enough people are interested in getting this setup, I can try and find us a converter and scam for a wholesale deal. Still won't be cheap, but I can probably save us a few bucks.