PAL DC - forcing 60hz

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PAL DC - forcing 60hz

Post by Lyris »

I know there was a thread about this, and everyone seemed to think that there's no way whatsoever of getting a PAL DC to behave like an NTSC one (as far as video is concerned).

That can't be right. There must be some way of modifying the thing to output 60hz NTSC by default.

Has nobody come up with a solution? Or should I inspect the motherboard of my Japanese DC and scrutinize them side by side to find out the differences?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I'm sure I recall seeing a guide that showed you how to force an NTSC Dreamcast to output PAL 60Hz by default. It stands to reason it must be possible to do it the other way around.

I don't have any links to hand, though, sorry. Have you tried searching the forums?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

I have searched yeah, but no such luck. As you said there's a way to it the other way around, that involves bridging two points together.

I assumed that would mean on a PAL DC, the points would already be bridged, but nope. And apparently, bridging over the points on a PAL one does nothing.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Double
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Can't the gameshark or something force NTSC? I thought it could. Not a hardware mod and needs you to run it every time you boot, but atleast it's something...
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

DC-X can force 60hz yeah, but it's a pain nonetheless. Ah well, I guess the amount of games that are only in 50hz is small anyway. Looks like I'll end up buying a US replacement motherboard to chip though.

Anyone selling one? :D
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

chui's sdl version can force 60hz pal :
http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/sdl.html
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

I'm not sure what that page is? How would I use that to get my PAL Dreamcast to behave in 60hz?
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

well if you use sdl for your programs, just use the dedicated functions to force 60Hz.
Or look in the sources to know how to use 60Hz without using sdl.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Nope, I'm just interested in playing games in 60hz, even if it isn't an option on the disc. I don't use home-brew stuff.

I'm going to try bridging R425. If bridging R424 on a PAL Dreamcast gives NTSC video at 50hz, then it seems logical that the box right above that one would control the refresh rate, right?

I'll let you know how it goes....
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

well if the game doesn't have this option, you're on your own.
what's so wrong about 50Hz ? I've been watching tv for 15years at 50Hz (and playing video games many years at the same rate) and didn't see any difference when I moved to Canada.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

The games are made for 60hz NTSC systems. 50hz games are usually horrible (exceptions where 50hz games are better are rare, ChuChu Rocket! is one example). In most cases the video display actually appears squashed. Apparently the average European gamer just accepts this(?)

Broadacast TV is a different matter.
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

I know older systems like snes were slower on pal/secam, but I don't remember seing a notable difference for dreamcast games.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

They were either slower paced or skipped 5-10 frames every 50 screen scans. Most were squashed.

Of course most of the European versions of [good] games had 60hz software options so it wasn't an issue, but the problem is getting imports to play at that speed.

Unless the game was specifically developed for 50hz TVs, that is.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I got a region modded / chipped JP (NTSC) DC that got a switch for PAL 60Hz output on its back. Finally Sega Rally 2 in full speed!!!!111one )()(

Grandia 2, PowerStone, Resident Evil: CV, VF3tb - all in full speed and on full screen :)

My DC was modded by wolfsoft.de:

http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_inf ... dchip.html

Scroll down, there's a pic of how looks on my DC.
Insane homebrew collector.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Yes, NTSC is the TV standard for Japan. I know I can get an NTSC main board but I'm looking to modify a PAL one.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

Skynet wrote:Can't the gameshark or something force NTSC? I thought it could. Not a hardware mod and needs you to run it every time you boot, but atleast it's something...
there are discs that can force 60Hz, i use one for forcing Power Stone into fullscreen 60htz and running my imports, i think you need an RGB scart cable as well to avoid issues, works fine for me . . .

only issue i can think of is multi disc imports, which i doesn't really bother me as the only multi disc game i'm after is Shenmue 2 which comes in PAL anyway.

most PAL DC games i've seen support 60htz (and RGB) with a few notable exceptions.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

The GameShark seems to work for that sometimes, but my NTSC-U SoulCalbur goes back into 50hz after the Dreamcast bootup logo. Grrr....