Photography question... sort of.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Photography question... sort of.

Post by JuddWack »

I was in a museum today that held a bunch of ancient artifacts. Some of the exhibits had a sign which said "No Flash Photography".

Many people were still flashing and there was a woman going around yelling at them. She was seriously yelling, pushing their hands when they tried to take pictures, etc.

I was just wondering how flash photography could damage these artifacts? Does anyone have an explanation or possably a link which could explain this?

According to my bizarre logic, by the time flash photography would damage these artifacts, the museum itself will all ready be in ruin, in which case people will be excavating the site of an ancient museum.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I would think the flashes might fade the paint? I imagine if the museum gets 300,000 visitors a year and 1/4 take 4 flash shots of the item it could fade the paint.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i would imagine it's more to do with the fact that flashing lights could irritate the other paying visitors, could be wrong though.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

It could also be that the museum doesn't want people to have unsponsored prints of the art (a fetch). They want to be the only dealer of photos/posters of their art.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

ace wrote:It could also be that the museum doesn't want people to have unsponsored prints of the art (a fetch). They want to be the only dealer of photos/posters of their art.
Its no flash photography. Normal photography is fine.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Two reasons:

1. It annoys others, plain and simple. Especially if it is an artifact that is behind glass. Using a flash on glass will blind everyone that is currently looking at the object.
B. Flashes are really, really bad for paper. It will cause the paper to discolor at a much more rapid rate.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Well it certainly annoyed that one lady, but it didn't bother me.

Also I don't remember seeing any paper at the exhibits which said no flash. It was mostly items made of various metals, stones and clay. Some of which had paint on it.
nogginthenog
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nogginthenog »

Apparently flashes can set off the fire sensors. Which trigger the sprinklers, which isn't good for old stuff :-)
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Flash photography damages the colour of the paint, not only that but it also can apparently cause physical damage.

Lots of people think that it is so that you can't have your own pictures of things, this is probably true in some cases.

I reckon they should better inform people of why flashphotography is bad, there would be a lot less people who break the rules if they could understand the real reasons why.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services