RadQuake with Quake for Mac

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RadQuake with Quake for Mac

Post by Bertrude »

I just decided to see if RadQuake for DC works with the full Quake for Macintosh game and can report that it does indeed work. Here's an overview for any mac users who have the original version and want to try it on their DC. You need 2 CD-R's - one for RadQuake and one for the data.

RadQuake uses a swap disc technique so firstly I burned a radquake disc.

1. Downloaded RAR files and expand to get CDI.
2. CDI ripped with CDI Rip 0.5 to get 2 sessions.
3. Using Toast 5.2, I burned 1st session as CD-ROM XA track at low speed (I used 4x). Burn as a session, not disc. I then burned the second session to the same disc - at same speed as before, but as disc, not a session (close disc).

Then I burned a Quake data CD. You can't just use your original Quake disc but it's easy to get the data you need.

1. Install Quake from original Quake for Macintosh CD. For ease, I installed it to the desktop in a folder called "QUAKE". Within this folder should be Quake application(s), readme/text files and a folder called "id1"
2. Burn the "QUAKE" folder to a CD called "CD" in ISO 9660 format. This is necessary as RadQuake's swap disc function searches for this directory structure (CD/QUAKE/ID1/PAK0.PAK).

To play, use the RadQuake disc, then swap over the data disc when required.

I hope this will be of use. I've had some probs with the quicksave function but the game seems to run well. I've only played the first level though.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

What about nxMakaqu? i hear it's pretty sweet.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I haven't tried nxMakaqu. I tend to have more luck with CDI files. I'll give it a go later. Do you know how to correctly burn this on mac? Should I use a boot disc like DCHakker or maybe run it through Mac Dream Tool to create a selfboot? I'm unsure as it's missing a 1st Read Bin and IP bin.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Bertrude wrote:Do you know how to correctly burn this on mac?
That's what i'd like to know can you make an image of it via mdt?
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I've tried using MDT but it requires an IP bin so I left that alone but got it working a different way instead.

I put the PAK files from my original Mac Quake install into the "ID1" folder of the uncompressed Makaqu, then burned the Makaqu folder as an ISO 9660 disc. I clicked on the "Select" button after dragging the foldder to Toast and in the settings, the format was CD-ROM XA and the naming option was changed to "Allow Macintosh Names".

This now works fine but you need to use the DC Hakker or Demo Menu Loader boot discs first (http://www.dchomebrew.org/). Load one of these then swap discs. Select the scrambled bin and you're away.

And yes, it is sweet. It has a better resolution than RadQuake - everything is crisper, it plays smoothly and the save files take up less space on the VMU than Rad. I was impressed with RadQuake anyway so this is marvelous. The water areas look a bit weird though as they've been dithered the appear semi-transparent [EDIT- These can be changed ingame to look better]. I'm really looking forward to playing the game again now, especially on my DC. It brings back good memories and is still as fast as I remember it.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Can't you just use any IP bin?

The way I understand this is you can make an image the same way you would make an image out of an emulator with plain files and just drop your quake stuff in the root?
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

You might be right about the IP Bin but I havn't tried it. I can't be arsed with wasting anymore CDs to try it. Besides NxMakaqu works OK with the Demo Menu Loader Disc so I'm happy. I've not tried emulators this way either as I've found CDI files easier to deal with and have just relied on disc swapping for Nester, Smeg and DreamSnes.

If you get round to it yourself, I'd like to know if it works tough. :D
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Yes. You can use any IP.BIN from any emulator (except DreamSNES).
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

ah sweet, Can you then just lob the pak files in to the allocated folder and then make an image out of that? Like you would with plain files?

I've tried it with Mdt 1.2 and dir2boot (on VPC) and no dice :(

Has anyone made a sbi of the latest nxMakaqu?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Bertrude wrote:I'm unsure as it's missing a 1st Read Bin and IP bin.
Bertrude wrote:Select the scrambled bin and you're away.
The "nxmakaqu_scrambled.bin" is the 1st_read.bin, simply rename it if you want, and you're ready to burn a self-boot disc.

I used that other name because I usually burn other stuff on the same disc (for example, the CD I'm currently using for testing has HexQuake and nxMakaqu), and having different names for the binaries makes it easier for me to select which one to run.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Thanks fragger. I just gave it a whirl and it worked fine (i used Mac Dream Tool version 0.2.1.3 (v0.2.2).

Matisfaction, I did it like this...

I put the PAK files from my original Mac Quake install into the "ID1" folder of the uncompressed Makaqu. I changed the "nxMakaqu_scrambled.bin" to "1ST_READ.bin" then copied the IP.bin from the downloaded plain files of Nester DC 7.1a to the same loaction. I ran the folder containing these bins through MDT Self Booter. This moved the folder to my user root directory and renamed it "data". Then MDT was used to create the Iso's - a 'fixed' and a 'header' iso. I burned the fixed iso in toast as a CD ROM XA Session at (4x) then burned the header in the same way but as disc/close disc.

Sorry for going over what is likely to be familiar old ground but it worked OK for me and I now have a self booting Makaqu. I hope it helps.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Thanks Bertrude, I think it's due to using MDT 1.2 i've never been able to get a self booter to work with that version, I'll try the latest version.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Can you use nxMaqku (sp) as a swap disc for a retail PC-CD?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Why not just play the actual quake port?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Either way, you need the game's maps and whatnot. It would give me a reason to go out and buy Quake if you can swap the disc out with the PC CD.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

RadQuake works in this way, allowing disc swap (on PC version not mac) but visually it's not as nice as Makaqu and looks kind of blurry. It run well though.

I'm not sure about Makaqu allowing disc swap or not as I'm doing this on a mac but I don't think there were any options about disc swapping. If you're burning a disc with Makaqu on anyway, it's only a case of copying over the pak file from your quake install anyway so I don't see why it has to allow disc swapping.

Ace: which quake port are you on about?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

fackue wrote:Can you use nxMaqku (sp) as a swap disc for a retail PC-CD?
No, because it looks for the files in /quake/id1, while AFAIK, in the retail CD the files are stored in /id1.

Anyway, dropping the .pak files in Makaqu's id1 dir and burning it is a better idea, because the file pak10.pak included in Makaqu contains some bugfixes and improvements over the original Quake data files. Without it you won't have translucent water, transparency effects, improved models, bugfixed entity tables and some other stuff.

By the way, nxMakaqu does support disc swapping in the modlist screen. If you have none or more than one Quake game/mod/TC in the disc the modlist will appear automatically; if you have only one game on the disc, you can hold the button X when booting to make it show up.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Fragger wrote:Anyway, dropping the .pak files in Makaqu's id1 dir and burning it is a better idea, because the file pak10.pak included in Makaqu contains some bugfixes and improvements over the original Quake data files. Without it you won't have translucent water, transparency effects, improved models, bugfixed entity tables and some other stuff.
No offense, but the quality of the textures and screen isn't good enough to justify not having support for a commercial copy of Quake's CD-Rom.