Boot disc screws up VGA support when playing import games

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boot disc screws up VGA support when playing import games

Post by showka »

Hey guys, maybe a few of you have run into this problem.

I just got a VGA adapter and was hoping to set a monitor up in TATE mode so I could play some Ikaruga. Well when I try to use the Utopia boot disc (which for all I know may not be legit anymore, though it used to be in this site's getting started section so I might as well ask) it gives a warning about how it can't be used in VGA mode and goes to the CD Player screen.

I found a patch for the disc that claimed to let it work with a VGA monitor, but when I do that there still isn't any output to the monitor even though the disk proceeds, and if I switch in Ikaruga I eventually hear the sounds of the game. Same thing occurs with 1.2 of the boot disc.

I was wondering if there was any way around this or if any of those Boot-X CD adapters lik-sang or play-asia sell work with VGA output. I think it's sort of sucks to have to spend $15 bucks on a CD adapter that does little more than what the Utopia disc does, but if it works that won't be an issue, what with the three games (Radiology and Under Defeat included) I'll be wanting to play on a monitor soon.

Of course, there's another solution I guess I may look into that would be even more helpful that I'll avoid broaching here.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

This problem comes up pretty often. Try doing searches within the message board - I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Try the CD-X demo that Dark Saviour links to in this post:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18537
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Re: Boot disc screws up VGA support when playing import game

Post by Matisfaction »

showka wrote:I found a patch for the disc that claimed to let it work with a VGA monitor, but when I do that there still isn't any output to the monitor even though the disk proceeds, and if I switch in Ikaruga I eventually hear the sounds of the game. Same thing occurs with 1.2 of the boot disc
Did you read the "read me" that came with it?

From reading that, It's prolly not a good idea to boot this thing with your monitor plugged in, The screen with the reindeer on is NOT vga compatible and can totally screw things up, so leave your monitor unplugged while it boots up (round about 30 seconds) and then swop discs over.

and no, not all games are compatible with this.