Is the DS corrupting our children?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is the DS corrupting our children?

Post by Luriden »

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

Some of you who read the news at the NDS site of dcemu.co.uk will know this story, but for anyone who hasn't heard it, here you go:
wraggster wrote:Moral Panic Over Nintendo DS Paedo Threat
Posted on Fri 17 Feb 2006, 5:48 PM
It?s been a week when the games industry has been forced to stand up for itself. Firstly it was Atari hitting back at the Australian government?s decision to ban Marc Ecko's Getting Up, after claims that the game incited anti-social behaviour. And now it's Nintendo, coming under fire from none other than America?s ABC news, who made some rather outrageous (not to mention totally false) claims about how the DS is a potential threat to children and a grooming tool for kiddy fiddlers.

The furore kicked off on Tuesday night when ABC news claimed that they had made an "alarming discovery" and that they had "...an important warning for parents?. Action News has learned this popular gaming system [the DS] could put kids in harm's way."

The news was in response to Nintendo?s announcement earlier in the week that it now has had more than 850,000 users logging onto their WiFi Internet service since its launch last November.

According to ABC news, a concerned parent was horrified when she found that her 11 year-old daughter was receiving offensive messages over Pictochat from a stranger.

ABC also quoted Keith Dunn, an Internet Safety Expert, who said: "Predators are using Nintendo DS anywhere in the world. And it's going to be really hard to track down those individuals because of course, they're on a wireless network from a hotspot such as a coffee shop. Or if they're in a wireless environment, say a coffee shop or whatever, they jump on the wireless network so now you have predators who are trying to get at our kids."

Mr. Dunn went on to say that parents need to teach their children to apply 'stranger danger' rules to every and any situation. "Don't talk to strangers in game rooms if you don't know they're your friends. Don't talk to anyone. Just stop talking. Stop chatting in the game room." Now this all smells to SPOnG like - well, how should we put it - like a massive pile of cooked-up horseshit.

ABC news is simply trying to cook up a bit of a moral panic storm, but has unfortunately not fully checked the facts. If the 11-year-old girl in question was being pursued over pictochat, then it was not over a WiFi Internet connection, but it was from another DS user within 65 feet. Which is of course still worrying if it happened, but is not the same as being anonymously stalked over the Internet as the story suggests.

In response to the story, a Nintendo UK spokesperson told SPOnG yesterday that the company?s line was: "Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service is a safe environment for players. The service will allow Nintendo DS gamers in the UK to link up with users across the country, and even the world, to compete against each other. Players have the option to select to play with just friends, or people of a similar skill level around the world without fear of harassment. Players do not have direct communication with each other when playing and therefore personal details or inappropriate comments cannot be exchanged."

The spokesperson went on to tell us the company's line on Pictochat and children's safety, which is this: "Nintendo takes the issue of children receiving messages from strangers very seriously. Children should be warned about receiving messages from, or communicating with, strangers through any medium. For this reason a warning and detailed privacy information are clearly highlighted in the Nintendo DS instruction booklet.

Nintendo also recommends that an adult should assist children with the system set up and instruct them not to use personal information and not to meet strangers or give personal information to anyone as it could be read by a stranger.

It should be noted that PictoChat does not connect to the internet. PictoChat can only be used to communicate with another Nintendo DS within the range of the Nintendo DS's wireless signal, which is approximately 65ft."

These are the facts. Make of them what you will.

If SPOnG's kids were getting funny messages over Pictochat, here's what we would do. We would look around us to try to see who else had a DS within a 65 feet radius. If we saw them, and successfully identified that they had been sending offensive messages to our child, we would batter them with a hammer. Or any heavy object we had to hand. If we couldn't see them we would remove the DS from our child's hands until we had left said area, and report the matter to the authorities. Seems fairly straightforward to us.
For those who don't feel like reading, an angry mother started a big "protest" thing against Nintendo because she found her daughter in her room talking to someone over Pictochat and the person was writing/drawing nasty things. Wow, this girl must have had a prototype of an upcoming wifi Pictochat or something, because Pictochat doesn't support wifi, the person has to be near. Unless......there was a killer outside her window.....WITH A DS. DUNDUNDUNNNNN.

Or maybe the girl learned "the facts of life" from school and decided to draw about it, then the mom came in and the girl blamed it on someone else.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I saw this on digg.

IF YOU CAN CHAT WITH THE PERSON, YOU CAN SEE THEM!

At the very worst, you have to get out of the area and take a small look around. That article was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

The mother should be slapped in the face for being an idiot.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I thought this was going to be some story about Kenichi's brother.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

No it's not.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Mr. Jeeba wrote:I thought this was going to be some story about Kenichi's brother.
:rofl:
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Didn't some woman want to make a DS game where you rubbed a bunny's nose to make it happy, with the end goal being children who know how to properly stimulate a clitoris?

I personally think a generation of children growing up who know how to rock a clit from some space-age computer training is more of a threat to me than to themselves.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

people called for the banning of comic books ages ago citing reasons not to dissimilar. Everyone knows its bullshit. Everyone moves on. Don't go thinking that their view is the majority.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

jaredfogle wrote:Didn't some woman want to make a DS game where you rubbed a bunny's nose to make it happy, with the end goal being children who know how to properly stimulate a clitoris?

I personally think a generation of children growing up who know how to rock a clit from some space-age computer training is more of a threat to me than to themselves.
Why because you didn't get the same training?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

How stupid can people be. Pictochat is not wifi compatible. And even if for some reason it was it is no different then a computer. Punish the kid for talking dirty to her 11 year old boyfriend and keep this bs out of the news.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

wraggster wrote:ABC also quoted Keith Dunn, an Internet Safety Expert, who said: "Predators are using Nintendo DS anywhere in the world. And it's going to be really hard to track down those individuals because of course, they're on a wireless network from a hotspot such as a coffee shop. Or if they're in a wireless environment, say a coffee shop or whatever, they jump on the wireless network so now you have predators who are trying to get at our kids.

Uh-oh, Exclusive ABC camera footage from earlier today...

Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

:guffaw:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

The Kron wrote:
wraggster wrote:ABC also quoted Keith Dunn, an Internet Safety Expert, who said: "Predators are using Nintendo DS anywhere in the world. And it's going to be really hard to track down those individuals because of course, they're on a wireless network from a hotspot such as a coffee shop. Or if they're in a wireless environment, say a coffee shop or whatever, they jump on the wireless network so now you have predators who are trying to get at our kids.

You made me choke on my lemonade.

:evil:
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:Didn't some woman want to make a DS game where you rubbed a bunny's nose to make it happy, with the end goal being children who know how to properly stimulate a clitoris?

Why because you didn't get the same training?
Precisely. I thought it was funnier to leave it up to folks to figure that out.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

I wasn't even aware that you could use Picto Chat over the internet, when did that happen?
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

JellyWarrior wrote:I wasn't even aware that you could use Picto Chat over the internet, when did that happen?
never did :wink:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The Kron wrote:

OMG, it's a trifecta of evil!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Mihkal wrote:Nintendo wanted to make certain that their best customers (children of the parents with money) could never be targeted like that. So, they crippled the ds, just to stop parents from talking to children that aren't their own.

Having wifi with picto chat would be awesome but, thats what hacking is for.
Considering what happened here, I have to say Nintendo made the right decision then, as ridiculous as it sounds.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Wagh wrote:people called for the banning of comic books ages ago citing reasons not to dissimilar.
and for good reason too.