Forum Organisation?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Forum Organisation?

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Hello again. Branching off from the "where will the scene be" thread I was wondering if a site and forum sort out may not help the flow of releases somewhat?
In my eyes the scene will likely rarely shrink or grow in terms of talent, instead seeing a constant flow of leavers and joiners, but if the main site were to become an archive to deserving releases and the forums perhaps re-shaped into better categories, would that not make things better?
I mean, really, how many of the categories here do you visit? The FPS section seems useless, as conversation may as well move to homebrew games and, likewise, with the amount of releases we see, would there be any harm in joining categories like games and apps together?
With fewer people seeming to use DCEmu for news updates, would it not be easier to follow releases than by cutting the board numbers down?
And if the main site was made to look more appealing, was organised into simple to navigate sections, and possibly even included reviews and articles would it not both make it easier for newbies and legends alike to discover some of the excellent homebrew out there, as-well-as possibly helping to create more discussion?
I may just be rambling, but see if you can't see some sense in there...
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Cammyfan »

The forums do need a revamp. There are way too many sections that are completely unnecessary because there are so few posters.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Cammyfan wrote:The forums do need a revamp. There are way too many sections that are completely unnecessary because there are so few posters.
Are you high by any chance?
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

I am high on life.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

-Dreamcast Emulation and Games
-Dreamcast Applications and Programming
-Dreamcast Mod's and Reapairs

-Non-DC Homebrew and Emu's

-Off Topic and Current Events

I take it that would be too extreme for some people?! Yes?! No?! Let's hear all suggestions and maybe find a common ground we could put to the admin's, if others even feel like we need a change at all!?
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

I fully support you DARKHALO2K.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sounds good to me. Off-Topic ends up catching stuff that could theoretically go in a number of other sections, and DC discussion is so scattered around that it's spread pretty thin.
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

That is what I meant as well. The sections in this forum are spread too thin because there are too few posters.

Why is Xylene such a jerk?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Keep Programming Discussion and Development Ideas.
Just because you don't go there, doesn't mean others don't. And I would hate to see valid programming questions get lost in the "Flash of the Week" posts of OT or see PD drown in "Prot this fro me" requests.
No signature.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Off-Topic and Current Events should definately not be combined.

DreamSNES discussion has to stay as that is the official forum of that emulator.

Combining the Dreamcast forums would make a mess - they were split off from each other in the first place to make things neater - they don't need to be added back in together.

The help forums should definately stay - and the Linux and Mac forums get enough use that they should stay as well.

And programming discussion should definately stay as it's a valuable resource - and development ideas was created to keep requests out of the main forums - so that should stay too.

The BOR forum is popular, as is the Quake Dev forum.

About the only forums that probably could be combined are the FPS and Quakedev forums.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

What the hell? What about null? I don't think null and off-topic could be combined. Ever.

Other than that, I agree with Metafox.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I didn't count null as it's not really a real forum since the posts get purged on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'm moving this to OT since it really has nothing to do with DC Emulation or Homebrew.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Just combine all the forums. Who's with me?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I agree with everything Metaf...um...I mean Doofus said. Beyond the redundancy of having a FPS and Quake forum, the rest is actually pretty organized. I'd also recommend getting rid of the poll forum, since nobody on staff wants to do it and not many people in the forums participate anyway.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think the forums are fine how they are. Only an idiot would be confused by them.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Why fix what's not broken?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

a new site is what we need
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

That is true. A new website should be started. Since BlackAura has said that emulation is not important and only homebrew is, then why not start a new website named Dreamcast Homebrew? Even though this website is named Dreamcast Emulation, emulation is not important. Is that not correct BlackAura?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Cammyfan wrote:That is true. A new website should be started. Since BlackAura has said that emulation is not important and only homebrew is, then why not start a new website named Dreamcast Homebrew? Even though this website is named Dreamcast Emulation, emulation is not important. Is that not correct BlackAura?
God you're an idiot.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

No I am not. Read what BlackAura posted in the Dreamcast "Scene" thread.