Where do you see the DC "scene" 1 year from now?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Where do you see the DC "scene" 1 year from now?

Post by MetaFox »

Even though every other topic that asked this question ended up locked, I've found them all to be very interesting. It's neat to see all of the predictions that have come true, as well as the predictions that have not yet come true.

It's now 2006, and stuff is still coming out as steadily as it ever has (six years after the "scene" first began), so I think it's safe to say it will be around for a while.

Many things have surprised me in the past (Amiga 800 emulation, x86 PC emulation, shoutcast streaming music, Feet of Fury's inspired typing of fury mode, the sheer fun of the single player story mode in Cool Herders, and of course all of the great entrants in the Dream On contests. The second contest was, admittedly, not as surprising as the first but the brunt of the blame for that goes to me).

Anyway, I'm sure there will be many more surprises in the future - and it's tough to predict what they will be. But it's sure fun to see if people's predictions come true.

I am privy to a lot of information about work in progress projects, so most predictions I could make would be unfair - so I'll just list the stuff that I'd like to see in 2006:

Games using special controllers (maraccas, microphone, dreameye (doubtful that will be done this year as it hasn't been reverse engineered as of yet as far as I know))

Many old authors are popping up out of the woodwork, so it would be awesome to see quite a few old projects get new releases (some already have - and were quite the surprise - brkout, Atari800DC)
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Where do you see the DC "scene" 1 year from now?

Post by Juan »

Doofus wrote:Many old authors are popping up out of the woodwork, so it would be awesome to see quite a few old projects get new releases (some already have - and were quite the surprise - brkout, Atari800DC)
I'm counting on Genesis Plus DC - that'll shake the scene for a while. Arcade emus perhaps? Age of the Beast?

I think by the end of 2006 we'd end up saying "Great year for the scene".
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Where do you see the DC "scene" 1 year from now?

Post by BlueCrab »

Doofus wrote:Games using special controllers (maraccas, microphone, dreameye (doubtful that will be done this year as it hasn't been reverse engineered as of yet as far as I know))
As for those, I'm currently planning something using the microphone, and when I get some time, I'm gonna work on the dreameye.... But my free time is very limited at the moment. :cry:

Also, at least on my part, I hope to see DCRPG finally getting a REAL release, but once again, my lack of free time may hinder this.....
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Last edited by DARKHALO2K on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by JMD »

As every years, I will try to release something in 2006 ...
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I also see the Holly 3D engine released and some cool games using it on the way.
Hopefully ill be making one of them. :) At any rate, this year will be the first I release some games on the DC. Have one almost finished and one in planning.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I believe 2006 will be the year of the homebrew. Emulation is almost dead in the water, as the only thing that can really be done is making compilation-like releases.

I would also hope to see some progress on a Dreamcast OS. This would be a most welcome addition, seeing as how we already have keyboards and can use joypads as our mouses. Again, that is just a hope, seeing as how Dreamcast Development is nearing it's limits.

Hopefully the scene does not die.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

i say that the dreamcast scene will be dead
Coders will move onto the xbox or the 360
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

If they were going to move to the Xbox, they would have done so already.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I am looking at 06 being a "better" year than 05. Mind you I loved all the releases in 05, but I have a lot more to look forward to this year it seems. The emulation scene is not dead there are just not as many "big" releases that can take place in the mind of most. I for one am keeping an eye locked on Genesis+. I see this as being on of the last HUGE emulation releases for the DC. I'd like to see the 3D engine get a release so Devs can play around with it.

Stuff I want to see more of:
-Age of the Beats
-Drill
-The DreamON mag :)
-(and recently) drlax

My dreams are:
-Someone can form some sort, if any, of communication between DC's over the net. and not just BBA but dialup.
-Some more DC RPG info or even engine demos
-and as metafox said, stuff that uses interesting controllers, IE Microphone or Maracas.

BTW wasent someone working on a game with maracas, bluecrab maybe? i remember it being in someones sig.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Nico0020 wrote: BTW wasent someone working on a game with maracas, bluecrab maybe? i remember it being in someones sig.
That was GyroVorbis, and he's still working on it, IIRC. "Viva La Samba" is the name, I recall.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

JMD's location wrote:A Melody From a Past Life Keeps Pulling Me Back
That's from Monsterworld III (Wonderboy in Monsterworld, aka WB5) am I correct ?

Back on topic:

Similar situation here as with DH2K. My DC keeps me more than happy. I don't really need any other systems.

I think I'll keep my Saturn just because of Saturn Bomberman and Darius Gaiden but all my other consoles definitly will get sold sooner or later. Only new system I'm interested in would be the Nintendo Revolution, but I don't think it'll replace my DC - it'll replace my beloved GameCube & N64 :)

Honestly I'm seeing myself playing Dreamcast in 2010 :mrgreen:

Speaking as a DCEvolution.net member, we had the most successful year in our history with the vast majority of our releases downloaded several thousand (!) times in a few months. Some are incredibly close to the tenthousand mark. :o

That's far more to be expected, considering the DC is commercially dead since what ? - five years ... !

We got a incredibly damn long list of releases planned for 2006, they just take time to complete.

My wishes for the future (in no order):

- A new SNES emu, preferably an update to one of the existing ones (SFC, DSNES)

- GenesisPlusDC

- nxMakaqu (Quake) with 2 player-split-screen, hardware video acceleration

- Neo4All/CD Final version

- Neo4All/AES update

- Loads of 8bit-emus updated (specially IMR's releases)

- MAME emu

- System16 emu

- CPS1/2 emu

- PCEngine/TurboGrfx emu/update

- MSXCast update

- UAE4ALL update

- Loads of nice new homebrew releases (Alice Dreams, Drill, etc.)

- Last but not least: DreamOn magazine, Age of the Beast, GOAT compilation, more commercial releases of homebrew games.
Insane homebrew collector.
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JMD »

Christuserloeser wrote:
JMD's location wrote:A Melody From a Past Life Keeps Pulling Me Back
That's from Monsterworld III (Wonderboy in Monsterworld, aka WB5) am I correct ?
It's come from here ... it should come from a Howard P. Lovecraft book too ... But if it also come from WB5, It definitly the best location :)
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

One year from now, so February 19, 2007. Lets see, I think we'll get BlackAura's genesis emulator, and maybe some ports like SDL ports, and I hope to see an N64 emulator and maybe a simple and easy to use MP3 player, Notepad viewer, nice and easy JPEG slideshower just to say we have one (that's easy to use with no quirks!).

Oh, and the MP3 player should support WAV, OGG, and any of the other new formats that are comming out, if acceptable :wink:.
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

I see it as being barely alive. Similar to how it is now except with even less people/interest.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Doofus wrote:If they were going to move to the Xbox, they would have done so already.
Yep. And, despite what a lot of people around here seem to think, there's essentially a 0% probability of any kind of homebrew scene developing on the Xbox 360 any time soon. I wouldn't expect to even see any modchips any time within the next couple of years either.
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

I do not believe that. The collective will of a huge number of people will prove you wrong.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Cammyfan wrote:I do not believe that. The collective will of a huge number of people will prove you wrong.
It's certain that independent code will be able to run on the Xbox 360 sometime in the future (there hasn't been a machine yet that doesn't have some sort of homebrew "scene"), but I definately agree with BlackAura about the timeframe.

The Xbox was made with off-the-shelf PC parts. The Xbox 360 is not. Microsoft learned a lot from their mistakes from the past generation. One of their biggest priorities was to prevent pirated games from running. If it doesn't take years to figure out the copy protection mechanisms present in the Xbox 360, I'll be surprised. Microsoft has taken every precaution it can for this generation, as it's likely that this console will be their last attempt at market penetration, and they definately do not want it to fail due to piracy.
Cammyfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cammyfan »

I hope that you are correct. I have an Xbox and I love the constant excellent homebrew/emulator releases that are made for it. I do not wish to purchase an Xbox 360 anytime soon. It would be extremely beneficial for me if the XBox 360 was not hacked anytime soon. That way the Xbox would still be a strong platform for new homebrew/emulator releases.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

I hope that you are correct. I have an Xbox and I love the constant excellent homebrew/emulator releases that are made for it.
If you were to try the homebrew/emulator things on the xbox and compare them to the dreamcast, you honestly wouldn't care about the dreamcast anymore. The xbox can emulate a lot of MAME games and n64 roms at full speed with sound, it can even run most PSX games at full speed with sound.