I really hate Apple/Macintosh Computers

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I really hate Apple/Macintosh Computers

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am so ticked off. I have been trying to get my Imac working (again). First off I was having trouble with it locking up. So I thought maybe if I reinstall the OS it might work better. So I pop the os cd in and sure enough it starts to install and then gets a disc read error. I tried again and again and it wouldn't work. The CD-rom had been making some funny sounds earlier on different cd's, so apparently it was shot.

So I tear the thing apart and remove the cd-rom and go to replace it. Now the pins will absolutely not for the life of me line up! The pins are not bent, so I know that isn't the problem. The pins are perfectly lined up on the cd-rom drive. Of course if I had more then a 2 inch long cable to work with maybe it would be easier. I have changed around floppy/hard drives/cd-roms 100's of times in PC's and NEVER had this kind of problem. I n fact I have had them where the pins was so bent I had to take a screw driver and bend them back into place!

Further more why the hell did Apple decide to put overpriced laptop memory in a damn desktop? I know its supposed to be a space saver unit, but there is plenty of room for them o have just used PC100 memory like every other desktop PC used. In fact some of the Imacs did use pc100 memory (which is why the seller sent me a stick of pc100 memory). Will cost me more to upgrade the memory then the whole computer is worth. And as far as running better then a PC, I have never had a fresh install of Windows immediately start locking up every time I tried to do anything.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Re: I really hate Apple/Macintosh Computers

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Veggita2099 wrote: I have never had a fresh install of Windows immediately start locking up every time I tried to do anything.
lol, had this once, was a bad stick of ram :P

anyway, if the thing is worth less then a few sticks of SD ram, then junk it dude, not worth the trouble....
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Junk it, an old computer like that isn't worth the trouble anyways.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I just bought it a month ago though. Was $10 for the PC, but $40 to ship it. So basically I got $50 in the PC and another $10 in the replacement cd-roms. It would probably work fine if that blasted thing would just connect. It looks like a normal IDE cable.

If I could get it to work right it would be nice to play older apple titles on (oregon trail for instance). I got a bunch of older 1992ish apple games to paly on it... if it would work.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

i just got a g3 imac ruby!! hehe, and i just bought a g3 ibook 800 both at really good prices, the ruby just for random shit the ibook for garage band baby!!! i cant wait to play with that... now i just need to buy a 215 ram stick someplace cheap like a forum or something.. anyone got one they can sell me cheap? (the the ibook)
crabcakes
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

First off crt imacs use nonstandard cd drives. The power supply and the ide cable are both tied in together on the cd connector. Secondly system crashes in os9 are nothing new it doesnt have protected memory or true multitasking abilities.So running more then 1 program will crash os9 if your low on ram. Finally the system that your using the one with the laptop ram was the very first imac made. Its was designed to make use of the extra crap apple had laying around. It used the old school db15 nonstandard apple monitor from the preforma era, The ram and cpu from the wall street, and the gpu from the g3 beige. So I wouldnt expect much from it. The crt imacs didnt get good until the fruity ones came out.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Agreed, System 9 through 7 were notorious for memory crashes. It could get infuriating.
As long as you don't ask too much from it, it should work fine.

But repairing an older Mac is a tough job, due to weird, non-standard hardware that even changes between same-model Macs. I pretty much had to trash a Power Macintosh 6100 when the mouse port broke. Damn, that thing cost $4000 in 1994... :o
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: I really hate Apple/Macintosh Computers

Post by BlackAura »

Veggita2099 wrote:And as far as running better then a PC, I have never had a fresh install of Windows immediately start locking up every time I tried to do anything.
I have. Many times. Most of them on Windows 95, 98, and ME which, like MacOS 9 and below, were useless piles of garbage. The rest were probably caused by dodgy hardware. Seems like that might be the case here.

It does sound like this thing is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

URG! bin it! the fact that it was $10 should tell you that it's not up to much.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Hey next time buy from this company instead of ebay http://www.wegenermedia.com/. They might cost a few bucks more but they stand behind there stuff.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

The seller did actually offer to refund my money, but of course I had to mail it back to them and by the time I did that I would be right where i am not only with no broken imac.

What kills me is my friend bought 2 of these off ebay and he paid basically what I paid and his has more ram and both work perfectly.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I'd just put it down to bad luck. Did you re-initialise the hard disk before re-installing the system software? That usually helps. As Dr. Freeze mentioned it could be the ram not quite being fixed in right. I had a performa that crashed heavily on start up until I pushed the ram in a bit better.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Bertrude wrote:I'd just put it down to bad luck. Did you re-initialise the hard disk before re-installing the system software? That usually helps. As Dr. Freeze mentioned it could be the ram not quite being fixed in right. I had a performa that crashed heavily on start up until I pushed the ram in a bit better.
When I got it it just booted up with a flashing face and ? so I figured it was blank. I put the cd in and let it install. So basically I guess I didn't do that.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Yeah the flashing face means it can't find a start up volume. It might be worth it to try re-initialising the disc. I'd disconnect any external hard drives if you have any attached then boot up from the CD (hold 'c' key during startup, with the system install CD in the mac) and when it's booted from the CD go to 'drive setup' (usually in a 'Utilities' folder on the CD). Pick the mac's internal hard disk from the list and initialise it. This will wipe it clean and you can now do a complete clean installation of the system software.

With a bit of luck this may help. Then again if the hard disk is knackered it may not.

Apologies if you know this anyway.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

http://ebestsearch.us/index.php?id=12924 here a mac mini for 311 buck with free shipping. Thats a problem free machine.