sega CD question

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
ryan_n_waggoner
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

sega CD question

Post by ryan_n_waggoner »

Not sure if this is actually considered emulation, but here goes.....

While looking around online, I found a program called SLO (Sega LOader) here. Looks like you can burn binaries onto a disc, and then have them boot on your Genesis; sounds nice, but if you've looked at the site, then you saw there's almost nothing in terms of documentation. The only other reference to the program I even found was a link on Zophar, and there it's noted that it can't boot commercial bins, only homebrew. My question -- what, if anything, is stopping someone from using this thing to load up whatever Genesis bins they want onto a CD and play them through the Sega CD? Anyone have any ideas if/how this thing could be used to play more than just homebrew? Thanks.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

I think the only problem is that the system doesnt have enough ram to hold a commercial rom
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

chrisfbt1 wrote:I think the only problem is that the system doesnt have enough ram to hold a commercial rom
Yea or enough power. Granted the Sega CD also plays Genesis games but it plays them using the actual Genesis hardware. When it plays the game it has the cartridge to get data from and it does not have to store the entire game in ram. I remember one time seeing the specs for the Sega CD and it wasn't much.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

The Sega CD has 6Mbits of main RAM, which is equivelant to 768KBytes. If all of that--or at least 4Mb--is available, that's enough room for a fairly large portion of the Genesis library. You must not be able to use all or even very much of the RAM. Maybe the loader itself has to stay resident and it takes up the majority of the space.

...word is bondage...