Order of Poly in the PVR List

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Order of Poly in the PVR List

Post by JMD »

Hi,

I making a little 2d engine and I use the KOS PVR lib to blit on screen.
All my gfx are TR_POLY, 2D textured with png files and I draw on screen with a classic PVR_LIST :

Code: Select all

pvr_wait_ready();
    pvr_scene_begin();
    pvr_list_begin(PVR_LIST_TR_POLY);
	?	
    pvr_list_finish();
    pvr_scene_finish();    

I do not use the z coord (z always = 1).

My pbm is that with some sprites, the PVR change the order of the poly and last pushed isn?t in the front of my screen  some sprites are draw behind the tiles (and are invisible).

I think the pbm is here because when I remove the tile layer drawing, I can see the sprites.

Does someone know why PVR do this (though it used z plane to change orders) and how I can force ?last pushed always in front? without use a z plane ?

Thanks

JMD
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

Why don't you use the z plane and just keep track of it. Like everytime an image is drawn do zIndex++;
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JMD »

Auto increment z plane should cause pbm of zoom when I draw a lot of polys (a tile layer have 300 tiles of 32*32 pixels and I have few of them). The z-plane should be selective background at 0, first plane at 1 etc ... sprites at 5 ...

All my new lib do not use the Z-plane and I have major changes to do :/
I hope a kind of miracle :)

I made few test with it (nibbler was made with it) and I never had pbm before. First time...

But if miracle does not exist, I will make the changes...
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Pretty much, you're gonna have to use the Z coordinate. It shouldn't be that hard to add the stuff in there, just think of Z as being like priority. Sprites would have the highest priority, whereas background would have a much lower one. The PVR depth sorts things, so its apparently messing with your coordinates, and rearranging them how it sees fit.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

Wait JMD... Are you saying that increasing the Z index actaully causes an image of size 64x64 to actually draw larger with a larger Z index? I've seriously had nightmares where the PVR worked that way and I had to compensate by drawing images smaller for higher z indexs. I hated it.

I really hope that it doesn't work that way... I thought it was just a priority thing too.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Unless you do matrix transformations, the PVR doesn't resize things based on Z coordinate. (i.e., a 64x64 sprite drawn at z=2 would be the same size as at z=20)
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Using a trivial delta for the Z values *DOES* work.

Trust me.

Rand.
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JMD »

JMD wrote:Auto increment z plane should cause pbm of zoom when I draw a lot of polys
I was wrong. I tested and using an incremental z value works fine and I have nothing to re-write (except z++ ;)).

Sorry for the mistake and thanks all for your help.

JMD
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

Is there a way to disable depth testing all together? I plan on porting hxRender, and well, it's kinda a necessity to NOT have depth testing.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

I feel much better now!
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Aha!

Post by showka »

Wow, surprised I remembered my log in from several years ago on my first try.

I just had to say you guys have answered a question that has been bugging the hell out of me!

I was using KGL for awhile and noticed the same thing, essentially that the PVR was trying to depth sort the polygons. I looked in PVRMARK.c included with that development ISO and found I could draw quads which, so far, seem to show the first drawn on top of everything, which is odd.

I was afraid I'd have more problems with the depth but it's nice to be able to confirm that the Z coordinate will handle depth sorting while not resizing the images. That should actually make it incredibly convienent for doing 2D programming!