My Dreamcast doesn't like HexQuake anymore

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

My Dreamcast doesn't like HexQuake anymore

Post by MethodGit »

It's weird. It used to run HexQuake fine before. I burn CDs with cdrecord similar to Fragger in his self-boot tutorial (except the binhack doesn't really apply since the 1st_read.bin is a Windows CE binary) and I've worked out that with any other MIDWAY_1.EXE it'll run perfectly.

Yet, when using HexQuake's MIDWAY_1.EXE it'll freeze on the Sega boot screen. Sure, you may hear a slight whirr in the middle of near-silence from the DC, but the fact is it never progresses any further than the Sega screen.

I didn't change any options from the last time it worked - it just seems so random and it pisses me off. I made sure I used cdrecord properly as well - msinfo, input correct number when using mkisofs - and I use ipins on the image before burning it (even if IP.BIN physically exists in the root of the image). Yet no dice.

To summarise...... The Moi re-release works. The alternate hacked executable on Fragger's site works. The original big shareware DC release works. The original CANDYISO version works. But HexQuake..... it refuses to co-operate with my DC anymore. And it's all down to that one bloody executable.

Is there any particular difference between Moi's exe/Fragger's other exe and HexQuake? I feel like I'm unfairly going to miss out on what is considered the best version of QuakeDC due to my DC's seeming and newfound stubborness.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Oohh............. kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, it appears if JoyMenu exists in the ID1 directory, then HexQuake will happily run on my DC??? WTF?

I thought it didn't do any PAK detecting until it got to the Titanium Studios screen as such, not before?

This really sucks though, because I wanted to ditch JoyMenu for the time being so I could get other mods to work properly under QuakeDC. It seems two progs.dats don't mix very well.

I wonder what the difficulty would be for me to take the good bits out of JoyMenu's progs.dat and integrate it into the mod's own file? Bear in mind I haven't done any QuakeC work before of course.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected
Has thanked: 0

Post by Moi »

AFAIK Fraggers EXE was modified to ignore the pop.lmp istead it looks for another file which was placed in his pak2.pak. Maybe this is the reason for your crashes?
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

As Moi said, HexQuake was modified to use another file instead of the pop.lmp file. This change allows the use of modified games without the registered version of Quake.

This file is located in the ID1 directory included with HexQuake. All you have to do is to include this file in the disc.

By the way, all this is explained in the readme file included with HexQuake.
it appears if JoyMenu exists in the ID1 directory, then HexQuake will happily run on my DC
It's because I've included the file required by HexQuake in the JoyMenu PAK file.
I thought it didn't do any PAK detecting until it got to the Titanium Studios screen as such, not before?
QuakeDC always detects the PAK files before the Titanium Studios screen is displayed. This was not changed in HexQuake.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube