My First Mac!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matisfaction »

Here's a good site that you can use as a kinda guide/reference point for upgrading your mac as much as you can to get the best out of it.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

A beige G3? I think you will need XPostFacto to install OSX. About Marathon, check here.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Quake III Arena and Unreal would work OK on the G3 and I guess would be easier to hook up with PC users (just an assumption though)
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Here is how to upgrade that machine on the cheap. The first issue is video. Hunt down a geforce 2 pci or a ati radeon 7000 pci buy the pc version and mac flash them. The average cost of them is around 10-15 bucks. You will also need a usb card any pci usb card will work if you upgrade to osx. To get osx do a search on ebay for a ibook restore cd set. You can run 10.2.8 and below.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

to flash the ati radeon go to strangedogs.com and visit there forum to get the rom and the files for the flash you will need a pc to flash the card. The radeon needs to have ddr ram aswell.
danthemanuno
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by danthemanuno »

I have been a mac user all my life and I would really recommend just using OS 9 because the G3's have a lot of difficulty running OS X. It will work, but it slows down the computer.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

danthemanuno wrote:I have been a mac user all my life and I would really recommend just using OS 9 because the G3's have a lot of difficulty running OS X. It will work, but it slows down the computer.
Thats true os9 is faster but if he is a windows convert he will be more comfortable using osx.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

It's weird but OS9 still seems faster than OSX today - just more responsive. I don't miss the crashes, extension conflicts and application quits much though.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Heh, OS 7. I started there too when I was doing design at Uni. My first mac (performa 6400) came with OS 7 (along with some cool games - FullThrottle and Descent). I remember being really tentative about moving up to OS8 when it came out. It seemed so new and different. OSX was quite a jump for me but it's not too bad apart from the round spinning beach ball and I wish Apple built in windowshade to OSX in with the Expose features. I still miss it :cry:
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

my first mac was a Classic running system6 ... oh those were the days... later I got a IIcx that had 7 on it (both were used when i got them). Playing around with the IIcx one day, I put system 6 on it and disabled everything extra.... that thing would go from cold to useable in nine seconds flat. ...beats BeOS even :D
this is my signature
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:my first mac was a Classic running system6 ... oh those were the days... later I got a IIcx that had 7 on it (both were used when i got them). Playing around with the IIcx one day, I put system 6 on it and disabled everything extra.... that thing would go from cold to useable in nine seconds flat. ...beats BeOS even :D
I remember when the mac IIcx came out it was like 6 grand right? That was nearly 20 years ago so you have bought 2 dodge caravans for the cost of that 1 computer.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

i might get a imac dv... my school is throwing it out and i want to save it! =]

i took a look at it and it has 128mb of ram and a 400mhz g3.
if i somehow save this machine, can i put more ram in it? will it take PC133 or strictly PC100?
will i be able to install OS X on it? it has a firewire port, so i hear it can be done.

it would be my first mac and im really excited about it, so any help would be awesome. :D
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

SadisticSaviorX wrote:i might get a imac dv... my school is throwing it out and i want to save it! =]

if i somehow save this machine, can i put more ram in it? will it take PC133 or strictly PC100?
will i be able to install OS X on it? it has a firewire port, so i hear it can be done.

it would be my first mac and im really excited about it, so any help would be awesome. :D
OS X can go on any machine released since 1998?or anything with a G3 or higher. Also, a G3 iMac would need PC100.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

pixel wrote:
SadisticSaviorX wrote:i might get a imac dv... my school is throwing it out and i want to save it! =]

OS X can go on any machine released since 1998?or anything with a G3 or higher. Also, a G3 iMac would need PC100.
thanks for the help Pixel. :)
well, today they basically told me i can keep it cause' no one else wants it.
it used to belong to an athletics teacher who was a "mac person" and they just left it in a corner until now.

they had a copy of OS X from the maclab and i used it to install.

it works well overall but the nice aqua effects slow it down some.
i plan on replacing the hard drive with a spare 80gb i have here...so it should speed the access times a lil over the stock. :roll:
but,other than that, can anyone suggest any tweak/addition i should make?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Get that stock HDD out because it's only running at 5200rpm. Other than that and RAM, there isn't much you can do.