In desperate need of help - Nester/StellaDC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

In desperate need of help - Nester/StellaDC

Post by Tonfa »

Hi there. I'm new to all this stuff, so I'm completely lost. Yes, I read the faq, and as many help subjects as I can.

I have downloaded Nester, used Nero and burned the image using 16 speed. I go put it in the dreamcast. I get the normal dreamcast menu. I go to play, I click it. Dreamcast resets. Back to menu. I burn the image again, using 8 speed. Same thing.

I download StellaDC, and get two files, and a folder. I have no idea what to do with these. I want to add my roms to this cd so I don't need a swap disk thing.

I have no idea how.

Can anyone help me to burn StellaDC, and to get Nester working, in plain english?
Vik Abominae X
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Re: In desperate need of help - Nester/StellaDC

Post by Vik Abominae X »

Tonfa wrote:Hi there. I'm new to all this stuff, so I'm completely lost. Yes, I read the faq, and as many help subjects as I can.

I have downloaded Nester, used Nero and burned the image using 16 speed. I go put it in the dreamcast. I get the normal dreamcast menu. I go to play, I click it. Dreamcast resets. Back to menu. I burn the image again, using 8 speed. Same thing.

I download StellaDC, and get two files, and a folder. I have no idea what to do with these. I want to add my roms to this cd so I don't need a swap disk thing.

I have no idea how.

Can anyone help me to burn StellaDC, and to get Nester working, in plain english?
I can't help you with the StellaDC problems, but for Nester, have you tried messing with the DC's lid? Sometimes, I have to mess with the lid of my DC to get it to read properly...hold it down or tap it just right to get it to find the info on the disc...but eventually it works, and then is fine from that point on...
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

My guess is that you used Nero to burn a DAO image. Some versions of Nero and some CD burners don't like those images, so you may need to make a TAO image. Also, it is possible to put NesterDC and StellaDC on the same disc. Read this page to learn how to do it with Selfboot Inducer. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to create a disc for Dreamcast, and it will save you CD-R's because you can put a whole lot of stuff on one disc.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Wishing

Post by Tonfa »

Edit- Well, I see I can use this self-boot site to hopefully do everything I need here, so, cross your fingers for me
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Bleep bleep

Post by Tonfa »

Well, other than my atari emulator and a few of those games, like Hexen, Rott and Wolfenstien, the disc worked well.

Now if I can somehow get the atari emulator working, I'll be one happy fella.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

For Wolfenstein, Hexen, and ROTT, you will need the SBI file as well as the data files. If you downloaded a "Shareware" SBI, make sure that you got one which includes the Shareware data files. The SBI files should have a readme or something which will tell you where to put the required data files. In many cases, the Readme will show up in the upper left-hand corner of the Selfboot Inducer window if you highlight one of the files in the list on the right-hand side.

For Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, I'm almost finished with a port which has music and sound effects, which are absent in the currently available version. I basically have to clean up my source code, make sure I gave credit where due, make a final decision on one or two things the end-user probably won't be too terribly concerned with, make sure I haven't broken anything (again), and then put the binaries some place, but I have to get through some schoolwork first so it may be a few days or weeks before I'm totally done with all of that. So, you may or may not want to wait on that one. tr0ll's port plays great, but doesn't have sound. Mine has sound, but probably also has bugs that I haven't found.

For the Atari emulator, which one is it? Stella? I haven't played with that one too much, but as I recall it wasn't really hard to get working. Some specifics on the problems you've encountered would be helpful to us if you'd like somebody to help you troubleshoot.
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tonfa »

OneThirty8 wrote:For Wolfenstein, Hexen, and ROTT, you will need the SBI file as well as the data files. If you downloaded a "Shareware" SBI, make sure that you got one which includes the Shareware data files. The SBI files should have a readme or something which will tell you where to put the required data files. In many cases, the Readme will show up in the upper left-hand corner of the Selfboot Inducer window if you highlight one of the files in the list on the right-hand side.

For Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, I'm almost finished with a port which has music and sound effects, which are absent in the currently available version. I basically have to clean up my source code, make sure I gave credit where due, make a final decision on one or two things the end-user probably won't be too terribly concerned with, make sure I haven't broken anything (again), and then put the binaries some place, but I have to get through some schoolwork first so it may be a few days or weeks before I'm totally done with all of that. So, you may or may not want to wait on that one. tr0ll's port plays great, but doesn't have sound. Mine has sound, but probably also has bugs that I haven't found.

For the Atari emulator, which one is it? Stella? I haven't played with that one too much, but as I recall it wasn't really hard to get working. Some specifics on the problems you've encountered would be helpful to us if you'd like somebody to help you troubleshoot.
Awesome. Wolf I owned, Spear I didn't. I should see if I can dig out my old disks from the wonderful 486 days. I have One Must Fall 2097, now THAT would be an awesome game to see on the dreamcast.

As for the Stella, I got it working. I burned the wrong sbi, so it was my own stupid fault.

I do notice however I couldn't get many games running with it at all. Adventure, for example, my all time favorite Atari game, doesn't run on it.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

StellaDC has a very good compatibility, so I'm suprised "many games" are not running. Can you post the other games you have troubles with? And are you sure you have good dumps of the roms?
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Tonfa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Ahem

Post by Tonfa »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:StellaDC has a very good compatibility, so I'm suprised "many games" are not running. Can you post the other games you have troubles with? And are you sure you have good dumps of the roms?
Adventure, Video Olympics, Mountain King (best instruction book of any atari game, ever. Don't believe me? Go buy a copy. You can find it cheap at most trade shows.), Warlords.

Should I be using that good program in the rom folder, before burning my image file?

And can someone tell me perhaps, how to set up scummvm in a multi emulated selfboot disk?

I just take Monkey Island in the folder it's in, and place it anywhere in the inducer folder?
ddd2442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

StellaDC

Post by ddd2442 »

Hey Guys

Can anyone help me out with stelladc using selfboot? I cant seem to find any readme explaining how to burn it.

Thanks
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Try the emulator's homepage here:

http://our-arca.de/DCstella/

You need the main download as well as one of the themes, you can also download the ROM_LIST.TXT creator and run that on your ROMs directory so that you get a prettier game menu.

Before compiling the image, open up the DCSTELLA.INI file and make sure everything is pointing to the right location. Then just compile and burn it as you would any other homebrew for the DC.

Adventure and Mountain King should work, tonfa, so there must be something wrong with your disc or some of the ROMs on it (you can check the ROMs by making sure that you can get the info screen on them from the Stella For DC menu, if you can't you have a bad ROM). Video Olympics and Warlords should work, too, though they won't be playable since there's no paddle support in Stella For DC.

...word is bondage...
ddd2442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

stelladc

Post by ddd2442 »

I tried what was suggested but still no luck. I downloaded the main files and the theme as suggested. I created a folder and put the ip.bin, 1st readme, roms folder, theme folder and dcstella.pro folder. then tried running selfboot but it wont recognize the folder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Make sure your folder got no spaces: Don't use /Stella DC/ but /StellaDC/ instead..

Regarding Selfboot.... - Try BooDreams! Seriously, it's by far more userfriendly than Selfboot. Also BD has RockRidge & Joilet support enabled by default :)
Insane homebrew collector.
ddd2442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ddd2442 »

I tried bootdreams and created an image that I burned but when I boot it up on my dc it just freezes on the dreamcast logo screen. I dont think I have the file that I am creating the image from set up correctly. I must be missing something.
ddd2442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ddd2442 »

I am still having trouble with StellaDC or whatever the hell its called. My "stelladc folder" contains the following...1st read, ip, dcstella.pro folder? (not sure what that is), stella theme folder. I added a folder called roms and then tried both bootdreams and selfboot but nothing works. When I use bootdreams it creates an image but it wont boot up on my dc. When I try using selfboot it states "tools/mkisofs: no such file or directory. Invalid node - c:\ROMS. Not sure what that means. I am real new to all of this so please excuse any dumb questions. I just want to play Atari!!!!!!

I must be missing something. I have gone to the creators website etc.. but that doesnt help me at all. Thanks