Please help me with my PC to Dreamcast online connection

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Please help me with my PC to Dreamcast online connection

Post by Gameovertime222 »

I realize I have another topic of mine regarding getting my DC online but that wasn't with the PC. If anyone here has done http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/ then can you tell me if my setup works? I can't seem to get a connection so I want to make sure what's wrong.

I have Windows XP Home edition and I used regedit and everything to make it so my modem will listen for my Dreamcast (it does because when I turn on the connection I hear the modem make screeches and noises). In my network connections I have the Username and password of the user that is allowed to connect to the modem (Username: Dreamcast, Password: a) and I have the same info on my DC webbrowser (Username: Dreamcast, Password: a). I have my DNS Servers typed into my Dreamcast and I have a USB wireless card that's hooked up to my PC in order to get internet connection from my Router. I have a phone line hooked up to my PC's modem coming from the Dreamcast. The whole setup looks something along the lines of this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ ... ctions.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this setup will work for getting an internet connection? I turn on the modem and then I click "connect" on my DC webbrowser but it never makes the connection. What am I doing wrong? Also, my wireless card is made by Dell and the router is a linksys. Thanks for any help :?
FuriKuri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FuriKuri »

I have been trying to get it working again recently (with 98 and xp). I had it working with windows ME many years ago. Also, do you have to have a voice capable modem with windows 98, because I know you have to have one for windows xp.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Sorry. Let me make the perfectly clear to you. There were/was a ton of attemps on this (for Window XP, in general).

All (besides the experiance person behind the Consolevision tutorial) attemps failed. Unfortunately, if you're not an expert in networking and all that good stuff, you're basically SOL.

Let me add that there were a lot of respectable people giving a jab at getting the PC<->DC "server" to run.

Anyways, there's good news [insert silly Geico joke], if you have Windows 98, following the Consolevision server by that one guy behind the tutorials, then you shouldn't have any problems.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

This is so far the only known guide to work.
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php
*The Cadillac of signatures*
FuriKuri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FuriKuri »

Win98/ME has been the only way I have ever been able to get it to work. Thats why I installed windows 98 when I reformateed my computer.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Nico0020 wrote:This is so far the only known guide to work.
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php
That's not true. They want you to believe that. All that is is a alternative (not really an alternative since the guide shows a different string in the registry or something like that. It simply makes 1 or 2 other changes and that's it.

I can prove this because I've done both methods and the method at Consolevision works on my 98 machine (now a 2000 machine).
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

yea i worded that wronge. i know it works for 98, but thats all i knew.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Well I only have XP installed on my computers so I guess I'm out of luck :( I guess I can only play PSO online at night when no one is using the phone :x
Genezis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Genezis »

Try to make another disk partition, and installs win me.

For me it works great, but i must to begin to play again, i miss pso! :oops:

Greetings!
?Sega Fanatico!
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

What's a disk partition?
Genezis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Genezis »

An explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partition

Try using partition magic to create one if you dont want to reformat your hard drive..

:P
?Sega Fanatico!
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Unless you have a Windows ME install disc, don't worry about partitioning.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

I've got windows 95, would that work with the PSO servers? But let me get this straight, Disk Partitioning allows you to have 2 different operating systems? Also, is it possible I could buy a Windows 98 installation disc?
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Ross L. wrote:Some of the Mac users seem to be having better luck than PC users. I might switch over my modem to a 98 box here and give it a go. What are you using for IP rerouting LyingWake?
It's been awhile, but for Windows 98, I didn't use any other software than what Windows 98 already had (Dial-Up Server). But, I also didn't play games online with my Windows 98 connection.

I heard WinRoute works well, but I haven't tried it (on Windows 98).
Gameovertime222 wrote:I've got windows 95, would that work with the PSO servers? But let me get this straight, Disk Partitioning allows you to have 2 different operating systems? Also, is it possible I could buy a Windows 98 installation disc?
I haven't heard anyone using or trying to use Windows 95, so if you can purchase a Windows 98 installer disc (try eBay) then I would suggest that.

Yes, if you have multiple partitions split onto one hard drive, then you can dual boot to the OS of your choice. You might wanna read up on that. Also you need to watch out for partitioning an existing partition that has a operating system on it. If you use the wrong tool, you can severly mess your partition up resulting in loss data (so don't use the wrong tool).

Like someone else said, I would recommend Partition Magic by Symantec . It is payware.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Well I found my copy of Windows 98 and I've been having trouble trying to partition my drive. I'm just gonna end up buying Partition Magic and dual boot my system with windows. My problem is, I don't recall Windows 98 ever being able to set up a broadband network. Will I be able to recieve a signal from my router in the other room?
FuriKuri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FuriKuri »

Alright, here is the problem I have. The dreamcast connects the pc for a split second and the pc server hangs up. I have no clue why it would do that. Any clues as to why?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

FuriKuri wrote:Alright, here is the problem I have. The dreamcast connects the pc for a split second and the pc server hangs up. I have no clue why it would do that. Any clues as to why?
Have you checked to see if your modem supports voice mode?
FuriKuri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FuriKuri »

How do I find out if it is a voice modem?