Xbox Laptop

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
mabartsabay
Lord of Chivalry
Lord of Chivalry
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox Laptop

Post by mabartsabay »

Now before I even start tinkering, I'm wondering if this sort of thing is even possible. What I'd like to do is take my PsOne screen and plug it into the back of the Xbox so the screen folds over the top of it. I'd also like to power the screen through the Xbox so I don't have to have 2 power cords. I'd also need a PsOne connector that I can install on the back of the Xbox that would draw the audio/video signal to the screen without the use of external wiring. (I've got it ghetto rigged ATM through the a/v port on the back of the screen.)
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

You do know that this thing will be gigantic, right?
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

the screen needs the same voltage which the psone took. i dont know if the xbox supports that. than you have to mod the screen a bit to get normal video/svideo in (not that hard) then paint it in black and work something out to get it holding at the xbox.
i dont know if this is worth it. the xbox is huuuuuuuge and not really portable. i wouldnt do it.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

mabartsabay, its possible. a lot of the Xbox modders stuck LCD screens into the Xbox case, maybe try Xbox Scene

The voltages you might be able to get from the Xbox's PSU, it might have enough amps to power it, the only place you'll find out is Xbox Scene again really

Here is the Playstation port and plug pinout, it should be as simple of matching that the the Xbox's pins and soldering together. Again, Xbox Scene will probably be the place to go.

After thats done, its mounting it. Some people mount them where the DVD Drive is (Taking that out and filling a new harddrive with games and emulators). But, if you want portable, it'll have to be something else
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

can the xobx take a laptop HDD? maybe using one of those with no DVD drive, making the power supply external (if its not already, I don't own an xobx and I don't bother about how my mates ones work)
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I don't see why not. You might have problems "locking it" but if you don't want to use XB Live you wouldn't care about that
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

Perhaps make an external DVD Drive caddy of some sort?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

there hasnt been a way to mod a xbox in a way that it will accept a regular dvd drive yet has there? if you could accomplish that, you might actually be able to take a whole xbox and stuff it into a laptop chasis, which would be pretty cool imho

dont know if the mobo is small enough to fit into a 15" laptop though
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

Yeah, you can put a standard IDE DVD drive into the Xbox, but you have to solder some stuff, and unless it's a specific Samsung drive you can only play backups. It's just better to ditch the DVD drive completely, just make it external for when you want to load games on. I don't think it'll even help to get a laptop HDD for it, the heatsinks stick out higher than the HD would anyway, if you mount it where the DVD drive is stock.

-Matt
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Who needs a Thompson DVD drive if you can store all of your games on a laptop sized hard drive? A modest size HDD of 60GB could hold a good 12-15 games probably with room for everything else (homebrew apps, emulators, ROMs. etc...). If the Xbox is modded and your game BINs are stored on a HDD, it won't need the Thompson to read games thereby reducing a lot of the bulk in the system. This is a pretty interesting idea...one that I might even get an Xbox to try out if it works. If all of that space is emptied, you could mold a screen into the top of the system :) The ultimate portable gaming machine!!!

*EDIT* of course you would need something like this:

The Xbox has IDE style cables connecting the HDD to the motherboard, so you need an adapter to make it communicate with a laptop HDD. Now the trick is finding one that is compatible. Maybe Llamma can help out with this since they probably have a lot of this stuff lying around.
mabartsabay
Lord of Chivalry
Lord of Chivalry

Post by mabartsabay »

See here's my predicament and why I'd rather do this instead of buying a laptop. My parents are being real buttholes when it comes to me doing anything online. I'm not using my xbox for games anymore, and since I can't take it to a game store to trade it in(due to opening it up once and changing the power LED color), I'm gonna mod it and use it for my computer. If I could make it slightly more portable, it would be great. I could just keep it the way it is. Or I could go buy a screen designed for the xbox as -Orbo- demonstrated. That's probably a better idea.

Also, I would like to put wireless internet capabilities in the Xbox once it's modded. Is there some way to do that through like a usb port?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-3-Compaq-Lap ... dZViewItem

Getting a case such as the LTE 5300 might allow you some room to put the stuff into it. You can then remove the original screen, and place the ps2 screen into there.

I have no idea as to the dimensions of a mobo, but you should be able to fit it into there. You also might be able to fit the keyboard onto the top, but that is a serious doubt, because the laptop keys are not standard.

You could most likely have it so that the dvd drive and cd drive come in caddy's, and then slot them in when needed.

I dunno.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

No, but you can plug a Wireless Ethernet bridge thing in the back. Or solder it directly to the ethernet port from inside and power it from the PSU
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Sir Savant wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-3-Compaq-Lap ... dZViewItem

Getting a case such as the LTE 5300 might allow you some room to put the stuff into it. You can then remove the original screen, and place the ps2 screen into there.

I have no idea as to the dimensions of a mobo, but you should be able to fit it into there. You also might be able to fit the keyboard onto the top, but that is a serious doubt, because the laptop keys are not standard.

You could most likely have it so that the dvd drive and cd drive come in caddy's, and then slot them in when needed.

I dunno.
I think that might work, the xbox motherboard might need some modification (you'd need to resolder the capacitors at an angle, because they stick out pretty far), the only thing is that the portable screens aren't that big, so it would look pretty...odd...
Feel it, Don't think
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

or since you are getting 3 of thos elappys kinda cut one appart and make the base twice as thick
crabcakes
mabartsabay
Lord of Chivalry
Lord of Chivalry

Post by mabartsabay »

Sir Savant wrote:I have no idea as to the dimensions of a mobo, but you should be able to fit it into there. You also might be able to fit the keyboard onto the top, but that is a serious doubt, because the laptop keys are not standard.
Hey now THAT is an idea! I never really though about that...I have a usb keyboard and mouse, also I could mod one of those small controller detatch cables so that it is straight usb. I've seen a mod for that, then, a usb hub into that...maybe a little ghetto wiring, and presto! keyboard. The only thing I see that would be hard to do would be to mount the keyboard into the case...
ILAMtitan
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ILAMtitan »

The problem isnt the harddrive or cd drive, those can both be replaced by laptop equilivents. The hardest parts of this will be the powersupply, cooling, and size. If you have ever seen in internals of an Xbox, the mobo isnt exactly small, nor does it match any form factor ive ever seen. You will need to make a custom case, and even that will still be rather large. The Xbox is also quite the power hog, so numerious batteries are gonn be needed just to get any kind of reasionable run time (thus adding to the size).
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

the psu wouldnt be a real problem i think... since its all basic PC parts i think the Xbox uses the same voltages as a laptop mobo
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007