Will HexenII work on QuakeDC??

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will HexenII work on QuakeDC??

Post by Vlad Tepes »

would HexenII run on DC if I put the PAK files from that game's CD where the Quake files usually go? I kinda figure it won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask )

[Post edited to change the title to a more obvious one.]
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

No. Most Hexen II .pak files contents are incompatible with Quake (any version)
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Short answer... No, Fragger is right. Most of the stuff from hexen is incompatable with quake. Sure Hexen uses the Quake1 engine... but it has modifications and a few extra features that Quake doesnt have or support.

Long answer is... Not unless you want to do a lot of work and are happy with it being less than perfect.

The maps all would need converted. They are the same version number as normal quake maps (map and engine developers know about version numbers) But they do not work exactly the same. The method used to convert Quake2, 3, Half-life, Sin or Daktanna maps does not work on HexenII maps. (I may be the only person to ever convert one... and I didnt do that good)

The models may work as is... if QuakeDC can handle useing a nonquake1 pallette. If not then every model's skin(s), every texture, and every sprite would have to be extracted converted to the quake pallette and reinserted where they're supposed to be.

Last hurdle would be recoding the progs.dat to include all the monsters, items, weapons, and special features that were in hexenII. You could fill some of the engine gaps useing QC as well... or atleast fake them.

If someones up for doing a LOT of work then I'd be willing to chip in what knowledge I gained in my minor attempt. ( 2 maps and a few models were all that I did. NO CODE) I'm not willing to actually work directly on the project... just share my knowledge.

If someone wants to try converting maps from one of the other Id engine based games like halflife, sin, or Quake3 click the link in my signiture and read my Q3 to Q1 conversion tutorial. Its not for newbies but I've been complemented on how easy it is to fallow. The same method is used for all the other Id engined games just with minor differances involving unsupported features.