Where's all the Cool Herders talk?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where's all the Cool Herders talk?

Post by Sweater Fish »

I can't believe that there's not even one topic here with people talking about Cool Herders!

What's the deal? This is a really great, addicting, beautifully packaged new addiion to our Dreamcast line-ups. Am I the only one who bought it or something?

I got it in the mail about two weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to play it because my Dreamcast is in storage along with most of my other possessions and I was visiting with family so I didn't have a chance to pull it out and set everything up until last week. I played one player for a few hours and had a lot of fun exploring all the new features and levels and whatnot. There's not many Dreamcast homebrews with AI, especially good AI, but Cool Herders has it and actually provides some challenge. The real play is mulitplayer, though, of course; not only for a better challenge but for more fun. I plyed wit my cousin and his girlfriend last night and we had a ton of fun. It's really one of the best multiplayer games on the Dreamcast, homebrew or otherwise. It always was a good concept and a lot of fun to play, but now with all the polish and finesse of a commercial release, it's really great.

I must admit that I liked the visual design better in the older versions. I don't think those pointy anime characters go as well with the game as the plain cartoony look use din the older demos. And the level graphics would have been more interesting if they'd stuck more with a sort of ancient Greek theme or something like that. Not that I really mind the candyland stuff, but something more in keeping with the herding motif would have felt better.

This are pretty minor gripes in my opinion and with Cool Herders it really just comes down to an interesting idea, well executed and with great humor. That makes for a fabulous game. I'm sad that I have to put my Dreamcast away again after only playing Cool Herders so little, I'd love to be able to play it as muchg as I played many of my original Dreamcast multiplayer favorites like Chu Chu Rocket or Looney Tunes Space Race. But I'll definitely be looking forward to popping the disc back in next time I have my Deamcast set up--which will hopefully be in a few month when GOAT Games comes out.

To Dan and Tursi and everyone else involved in this release: thank you so much for your effort and dedication. To the extent that you work was to the end of creating a great product, you can definitely rest assured that you've made one. And to the extent that your work was to the end of pleasing the people who bought the game, you can at least know that I enjoy it immensely and am more than proud to have it in my collection. It'll always be one of the first games I show people, when we're looking at Dreamcast games.

Perhaps other people who bought the game have some comments to add as well...

...word is bondage...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

There were a few topics about Cool Herders in Dreamcast Discussion, since it's a commercial game.

I'm moving this there too.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Well, I bought it and I like it a lot. Played it with my friends some times which is very fun. I wonder though, am I the only one who finds the story mode hard?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I wanted to try it. Is the gameplay changed from the demo much? I'm mostly interested in multiplayer.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

i completed it on my second go (make sure u turn on autosave in the options) its easy enough... still have to play it in hard mode. but i very very busy at the mo

still good game
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Darksaviour69 wrote:i completed it on my second go (make sure u turn on autosave in the options) its easy enough... still have to play it in hard mode. but i very very busy at the mo
I thought the same thing, and did the same thing as you (completed it on easy and walked away).

Hard is insane! That's what makes me love this game so much. It's easy to get into, but once you get hooked they turn the hardness factor up a few notches. :mrgreen:
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Tried the story mode again, and reached the end boss without problems. Guess I did not try hard enough. However, now I have loads of levels to play on. Time to bring the friends in! :)
Gameholic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gameholic »

Just played Cool Herders as I was on vacation the past two weeks!

It looks really cool and plays also very well indeed. But it seems my VMU isnt recognised but i will try it again later :twisted:

Nice to play something new again on my beloved DC :D
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

yeah cool herders recognizes my VMU, but not my madcatz performance memory cards. also the sound is a bit buggy. seems my tv decides to lose sound only on that game.
Make Metal Slug DC!
Visit the Dreamcast NMMT Board!
http://nmmt.proboards58.com/index.cgi
Tursi
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tursi »

I've been slack on keeping up. Thanks for the positive comments. :)

I'm definately interested in the incompatible hardware - I worked for a fair bit of time to get Gamesharks to work, for instance. ;)

I'll have to try to get one of the madCatz cards, Gameholic, what type of card failed for you?

Also interested in the audio dropouts - I didn't experience any during my testing. Does it skip or fail completely? Just music, or sound effects too?

I realize that there's not much to be done for the release but what we learn can be used to make future projects even better :)
Gameholic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gameholic »

Cool Herders is really great ;) Although it's mainly a multiplayer title... i still loved it in singleplayer. But tough sometimes hehehe

Tursi, i noticed it wasnt Cool Herders that didn't recognise the VMU, but it was the VMU itself. So no problems on that one :D

Thanks anyway for the great release
junker2020
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by junker2020 »

Is this VGA compatable? Where is the fastest and best place to purchase. Price? Shipping?

Thanks Please reply
Gameholic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gameholic »

You can get it at GOAT store, Liksang or Playasia
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

yes it is vga compatible. about the sound, im using it on a mono tv, and have the audio settings set to mono.
Make Metal Slug DC!
Visit the Dreamcast NMMT Board!
http://nmmt.proboards58.com/index.cgi