Blair threatens action over Iran's renewed nuclear programme

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Blair threatens action over Iran's renewed nuclear programme

Post by az_bont »

BBC News wrote:UK Prime Minister Tony Blair says Iran's decision to resume its nuclear activities is likely to result in a referral to the UN Security Council.

Speaking in parliament, Mr Blair said European ministers meeting in Berlin on Thursday would decide how to proceed.

A US state department spokesman also said it was now "more likely than ever" that the case would be sent to the UN.

The BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran says that Iran's conservative president seems almost to be relishing the sense of looming confrontation - and that those who had suggested Iran was just testing the waters look set to be disappointed.

Iran is banking on divisions within the international community, our correspondent says.

Its parliament has passed a law obliging the Iranian government to stop short notice visits of its nuclear sites by UN inspectors if it is referred to the UN Security Council.
Source: BBC News (more)

I was rather tickled by this quote, however:
Jay from Liverpool wrote:People should worry about a populist religious fundamentalist having his finger on a nuclear button
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Well their leader is a bit of a nut ranting the way he has done aobut the west, but we all know that 'the twat' will just talk unitll bush decides its a fun iodea to incade then he'll follow him blindly unless der fuhrer orders him not to, then hopwefully his head will explode from the difficulty of choosing who to obey
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Why even go to the UN we can crush iran easy and destroy there nukes.We are the most powerful nation in the world why do we need permission from france,russia and china.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I just noticed that Hawq has poor spelling.

I am pretty sure that action against a nuclear country (again) would warrant some UN permission. I don't think even the U.S. has the balls to do something like this twice. Especially when we are so spread thin. So I believe that if action comes, it will most likely be joint.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

There's no way the same thing that happend in Iraq is going to happen in Iran anytime soon. The only countries that would be interested in preventive war would be the UK and the US, like was already said the UK won't touch it without US backing. The US isn't going to fight another war anytime soon, considering the Iraq war is costing a hell of a lot more than Bush was initially preaching.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Action against Iran needs to be hard and fast. Im talking air strikes against known nuclear facilities and against their air assets. A troop deployment wont be needed, we arent changing a regime only preventing it from attacking anyone.

A few problems with that is for one Iran has done a much better job of hiding its nuclear development technology than Iraq did. Much of it is underground and the exact wherabouts of some of the facilities are unkown.

Iran has 0 force projection beyond its region. We dont have to worry about retaliatory strikes on our soil. The problem is that Israel is within Iranian striking distance. Its vital that we knock out Irans ability to wage an air war against Israel. Though I have no doubt the Israeli's are capable of defending themselves the civilian casualties could be great and ofcourse we have other countries in that area who dont care much for Israel either. We cant show any sign of weakness or risk an arab coalition.

We need to attack them BEFORE they develope functioning nuclear weapons. We know that they have bought missiles from North Korea capable of reaching targets as far as 3500 KM. These missiles can be fitted to carry a nuke. EDIT (Iran bought 18 BM-25 missiles to be exact, with a range of roughly 1500 miles or 2500KM. Work is being done to try and increase the range to the 3500 mark I had previously stated.)
Last edited by Komid on Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Komid wrote:We dont have to worry about retaliatory strikes on our soil.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you serious?

Were you born after September 11th?

I don't think we can just carpet-bomb any country full of little brown people (at least not in the middle east) without worry anymore.

Also, remember the Iranian retaliation on American soil in 1979?

I don't know what we should do in this situation, but that is the worst idea I've heard.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

jaredfogle wrote:
Komid wrote:We dont have to worry about retaliatory strikes on our soil.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you serious?

Were you born after September 11th?

I don't think we can just carpet-bomb any country full of little brown people (at least not in the middle east) without worry anymore.
Also, remember the Iranian retaliation on American soil in 1979?

I don't know what we should do in this situation, but that is the worst idea I've heard.
" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you serious?

Were you born after September 11th?"

I was reffering to military action by the Iranian government, not terrorist attacks wich I have yet to be convinced have any justification to be called retaliatory by any means given your example.

"I don't think we can just carpet-bomb any country full of little brown people (at least not in the middle east) without worry anymore."

We wont have to nor am I advocating it.

"Also, remember the Iranian retaliation on American soil in 1979?"

Im British, enlighten me.

"I don't know what we should do in this situation, but that is the worst idea I've heard."

Sitting back and doing nothing is far worse.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Blair threatens action over Iran's renewed nuclear progr

Post by not just souLLy now »

Jay from Liverpool wrote:People should worry about a populist religious fundamentalist having his finger on a nuclear button
Like America does?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

SuperMegatron wrote:Why even go to the UN we can crush iran easy and destroy there nukes.We are the most powerful nation in the world why do we need permission from france,russia and china.
Because there needs to be a governing body over the governments of the world...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

ace wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:Why even go to the UN we can crush iran easy and destroy there nukes.We are the most powerful nation in the world why do we need permission from france,russia and china.
But the UN has no real power. A sovereign nation can declare war on any other sovereign nation and, as long as the rules of war are followed, the UN will just set back and watch.

BTW, to whoever thinks they are somehow "safe" in England had better rethink that. A nuke dropped on London could irradiate a good portion of the island. The days being safe just because your country is surrounded by water are gone when a missile can be launched from over 1000 miles away.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

gee y' think.

sitting (as you are) in a country which didn't have any part of it reduced to rubble by the last world war that's pretty rich.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

butters wrote:
ace wrote:
But the UN has no real power. A sovereign nation can declare war on any other sovereign nation and, as long as the rules of war are followed, the UN will just set back and watch.

BTW, to whoever thinks they are somehow "safe" in England had better rethink that. A nuke dropped on London could irradiate a good portion of the island. The days being safe just because your country is surrounded by water are gone when a missile can be launched from over 1000 miles away.

"BTW, to whoever thinks they are somehow "safe" in England had better rethink that. A nuke dropped on London could irradiate a good portion of the island. The days being safe just because your country is surrounded by water are gone when a missile can be launched from over 1000 miles away."

I dont think any post in this thread has come close to making that assumption
:?:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[laughs] I've officially been part of these forums too long:

I accidentally read the headline as "Blar threatens action..."
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Sir Savant wrote:I just noticed that Hawq has poor spelling.
3 typo's, I'd been typing a lot of news earlier so I just leave the odd typo in at times as I cant be arsed to reomve it
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

jaredfogle wrote:Also, remember the Iranian retaliation on American soil in 1979?
If by that you mean the oil crisis that wasnt Iran only it was all of opec. The hostage crisis during that period only happen because Carter was a wussy. To give you a example ever president prior to carter was willing to bring the world into world war 3 to defend american values JFK nearly started a nuclear war, LBJ invaded Vietnam,Nixon raised the stakes in nam, Ford damn near invaded korea over a tree in the dmz and then carter. He let the soviets take Afghanistan that proved he was a puss and that allowed the iranians to run amock.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

How's about this time we destroy their shit and don't rebuild it!!! I couldn't care less if these rogue countries get "back on their feet" again, because it usually means they come back up swinging. Maybe if we weren't so quick to rebuild anything, they might reconsider their actions and think better not to continue.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

HomerCIDAL wrote:How's about this time we destroy their crap and don't rebuild it!!! I couldn't care less if these rogue countries get "back on their feet" again, because it usually means they come back up swinging. Maybe if we weren't so quick to rebuild anything, they might reconsider their actions and think better not to continue.
That worked well with Afghanistan....
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.