No more powerbooks !!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

Yea it's completely understandable, but after all they are a computer company after all, and want to make money.

Also, the last time they tried to liscense out their OS it failed MISERABLY... which is probably why they don't want that to happen again.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

melancholy wrote: I would be ordering a copy of x86 OSX the day it was released.
Place your order now, then. The day you're waiting for was the day 10.4 came out. Actually, all of the OS Xs ran on Intel machines, at least internally.

The reason Apple doesn't want OS X to run on non-Apple hardware is when it comes down to it, they're still primarily a hardware company. They just happen to also put as much effort into the software for their hardware as they do the hardware itself.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Godfearing greay wrote:"MacBook Pro" is a really dumb name, though.
yup, sounds like a delicious hardcover burger or something with extra special sauce...

i actually liked the name "powerbook", which is probably the only apple product name ive ever liked (i mean, everything with I just sucks imho as far as names go, and powermac doesnt work either)

and i wonder how apple thinks to peddle their powermacs, from what ive read the powermacs will be the last to switch, so they will remain on PPC's the longest, while apple is screaming that the new intel cpu's are twice as fast as a PPC... so by their own logic they say a normal intel based imac is more powerfull then a dual G5 powermac? how the hell do they want to sell their workstations when their are saying consumer machines costing half are as strong?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:and i wonder how apple thinks to peddle their powermacs, from what ive read the powermacs will be the last to switch, so they will remain on PPC's the longest, while apple is screaming that the new intel cpu's are twice as fast as a PPC... so by their own logic they say a normal intel based imac is more powerfull then a dual G5 powermac? how the hell do they want to sell their workstations when their are saying consumer machines costing half are as strong?
The g5 is better at ppc apps the intel is stronger at universal so with older software your still better with the g5 pro machine
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Godfearing greay wrote:
melancholy wrote: I would be ordering a copy of x86 OSX the day it was released.
Place your order now, then. The day you're waiting for was the day 10.4 came out. Actually, all of the OS Xs ran on Intel machines, at least internally.

The reason Apple doesn't want OS X to run on non-Apple hardware is when it comes down to it, they're still primarily a hardware company. They just happen to also put as much effort into the software for their hardware as they do the hardware itself.
The thing that sucks is that I just freakin' bought Tiger for my Mac Mini just 4 months ago. I'm really not happy about spending another $120 just to make it work on another computer.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

melancholy wrote: The thing that sucks is that I just freakin' bought Tiger for my Mac Mini just 4 months ago. I'm really not happy about spending another $120 just to make it work on another computer.
Thats with everything though. In theory you cant instal a copy of windows on 2 different machines with paying more cash for a license.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

melancholy wrote:
Godfearing greay wrote:

The thing that sucks is that I just freakin' bought Tiger for my Mac Mini just 4 months ago. I'm really not happy about spending another $120 just to make it work on another computer.
Well this becomes a moral issue, but since you own the OS, I'd say there should be nothing stopping you from acquiring it by other means... ;)
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

a bit of an update

Windows WONT run on the new macbook

So much for that idea.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Meh, a way around that will be figured out. Just because theres an EFI and not a BIOS is a hurdle, but will get around it.

Vista however, is supposed to run fine on it, as it has support for this technology. If you have or can acquire a Vista beta it should run fine.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

Never even sat infront of a mac...What are the benefits of using a mac?
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i just got approved for apple's credit account, so i'm going to buy the 20 inch iMac.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

XPoGoX wrote:Never even sat infront of a mac...What are the benefits of using a mac?
There is the techie stuff about no viruses and how all the software from apple works together well, but I like mine simply because windows got boring after a few years.I wanted to try something new and when you buy a apple you get to really be part of a community. For instance if you buy windows software at compusa and someone else is there they usually dont talk to you, but when you buy mac stuff you can ask the other customers there if its any good and strike up a conversation with them. Part of there success really comes from the community aspect.