Nesterdcse Faqs

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nesterdcse Faqs

Post by omas »

Is there a way to link to Gamefaqs.com to get faqs with the CD builder. If not is there a way to download all of the FAQs for games/systems on that site?
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: Nesterdcse Faqs

Post by Smurph »

omas wrote:Is there a way to link to Gamefaqs.com to get faqs with the CD builder. If not is there a way to download all of the FAQs for games/systems on that site?
No, and yes. but you'll have to figure it out yourself, because the tards over at GF are all like "RAWR, I'M NOT GONNA LET ANYBODY USE MY FAQS, EVEN THOUGH HALF THE CONTENT ISN'T EVEN MINE!"
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by omas »

I was reading the 'help' section in GF and it says that all FAQs are free for personal download and usage. I believe this constitutes personal use.

The only thing is I tried a couple of mirroring and 'download whole sites' programs, all it does is download the actual html no matter what depth I set the software to.

If there is any way to download mass faqs, I would love to know. PM me.

Thank you.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Maybe write a batch or php script but... yeah.... I don't see any way about it efficiantly?
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by omas »

I am not to familiar with php or anything :( I will probably look up some tutorials later this week, if I get anything running I will let you know, if anyone is interested.

Thanks the help.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Most of the FAQs are just text files, not HTML. So I guess a script that could construct a URL to access the game page, rip out all the FAQ links and download them could be a possibility.

And yes, the people at GameFAQs are way too zealous in defense of their "work". I say that with quotes because most of it is either ripped from a strategy guide of instruction booklet anyway. Plus, processes cannot be copyrighted, only the presentation of the material. So recipes are not covered by copyright even though cookbooks can be. And walkthroughs of games are only a description of how to beat a game, in other words the process of beating the game. Therefore, only the shit ASCII art (which 9 times out of 10 is derivative of actual game logos and in violation of copyright itself) and any text that isn't explicitly describing the game are covered by copyright. For the actual process, they would have to go to the Patent Office (that's what it is there for). But then they couldn't even get a patent because since the game was created by other people it is reasonable to assume that these people already know all of the techniques to beat the game and therefore is not an original process and/or the process of beating the game can be considered trivial because you are meant to figure it out.

Ahem. Gamefaqs as a community sucks. As a place to get guides to games, it fairs pretty decent.
No signature.
nsps
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nsps »

Yeah, I suggested back when Scherzo discussed the conflict that we should just write up a legal guide of what information could be taken from the FAQs, and then have a bunch of volunteers do maybe 10 or so each. If done properly, this would be perfectly legal and would open up the one missing feature of NesterDC SE.
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by omas »

Hey I have a somewhat tedious way of doing this. If I do this, will someone sort them by goodtools standards? Or whatever scherzo needs.

Hereis 0-A
http://www.savefile.com/files/1473446
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by omas »

So will anyone want these when I download them? Or are you worried about legality?
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by wes1406 »

I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested.

Also, doesn't Scherzo have all of the Faqs already, but didn't release them with SE to appease the beasts at Gamefaqs?
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

toastman wrote:Plus, processes cannot be copyrighted, only the presentation of the material. So recipes are not covered by copyright even though cookbooks can be. And walkthroughs of games are only a description of how to beat a game, in other words the process of beating the game. Therefore, only the crap ASCII art (which 9 times out of 10 is derivative of actual game logos and in violation of copyright itself) and any text that isn't explicitly describing the game are covered by copyright.
A process cannot be copyrighted. However, a text describing a process can be.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Phantom wrote:
toastman wrote:Plus, processes cannot be copyrighted, only the presentation of the material. So recipes are not covered by copyright even though cookbooks can be. And walkthroughs of games are only a description of how to beat a game, in other words the process of beating the game. Therefore, only the crap ASCII art (which 9 times out of 10 is derivative of actual game logos and in violation of copyright itself) and any text that isn't explicitly describing the game are covered by copyright.
A process cannot be copyrighted. However, a text describing a process can be.
Basically what I was trying to get at while trying to get at another point:
"Those who make the least effort to create are the ones who are most ferverently trying to protect it."
When you do not have any real ability, any scrap you can claim, you must defend with your whole or else you will have to accept the fact of your limitations.
For those with the genuine ability to create, they are less rabid because they know that they are respected for their ability and not the products of that ability.
It is the difference between pride and arrogance.
No signature.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

toastman wrote:"Those who make the least effort to create are the ones who are most ferverently trying to protect it."
That the same prevailing attitude among those who rip sprites from games, except they have an additional dash of hypocrisy. They're quite happy to steal artwork verbatim from a game, whilst insisting that they somehow own the resulting ripped graphics and claiming that nobody can use them without their permission. As if taking a couple of screenshots and removing the background somehow gives them more rights over the artwork than the artists who created it in the first place.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

BlackAura wrote:
toastman wrote:"Those who make the least effort to create are the ones who are most ferverently trying to protect it."
That the same prevailing attitude among those who rip sprites from games, except they have an additional dash of hypocrisy. They're quite happy to steal artwork verbatim from a game, whilst insisting that they somehow own the resulting ripped graphics and claiming that nobody can use them without their permission. As if taking a couple of screenshots and removing the background somehow gives them more rights over the artwork than the artists who created it in the first place.
Ah yes, the spriting community. I had a row with them once. A Megaman forum, I forget the name, but it's defunct now. And even though I had only been there a short while, I got props from the board's original admin when he left for my realistic view of the situation. :lol:
No signature.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

toastman wrote:Basically what I was trying to get at while trying to get at another point:
"Those who make the least effort to create are the ones who are most ferverently trying to protect it."
I know where you're going. I don't 'get' the GameFAQs community either.

However, if someone writes a FAQ from scratch they have copyright, and the FAQ may not be distributed without their permission. If they then decide to only grant that permission to GameFAQs, we should respect that. Just as we expect others to respect the license we slap onto our source code.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

We could just make faqs based on the existing ones. I mean, paraphrasing is okay. As long as we play the games ourselves, we are just using a guide to beat a game to make a guide. Or something.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

The thing I don't like about them that makes me consider their claims to copyright pretty moot is the fact that they blatantly steal from other sources to "create" their work. Tables and charts ripped out of existing guides, manuals plagarized, screenshots and images taken from the game and/or guide. And all without permission.
No signature.
nsps
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nsps »

Savant wrote:We could just make faqs based on the existing ones. I mean, paraphrasing is okay. As long as we play the games ourselves, we are just using a guide to beat a game to make a guide. Or something.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. The majority of the information in the FAQs isn't copyrightable. The only material we couldn't paraphrase would be their own independently deduced strategies (many FAQs don't have these). And even these strategies could be cited and discussed in the context of an evaluation of them.

Also, in response to the person who thought I said 10 people should do it, I said we could try to get enough volunteers so that everyone could just do 10 each. 20 or 30 each might be more realistic, though.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

what if a bunch of people mailed the writers of the FAQs and asked.. a lot would be too hard to contact but im sure at least a few would want their faq in SE.