So I've got a few laptops all of the sudden...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So I've got a few laptops all of the sudden...

Post by fatheadpi »

Okay, so here's my situation. In my attempt to find a new side business outside of DC import / export / modding, I've gotten into latop repair. I did a little looking around my home town while on vacation, and now have three lapops. I'm having a litle trouble trying to decide which one to keep and which two to sell, looking for a little feedback. Asking prices are listed if you're interested. Basically, pick your laptop and a reason why.

Laptop 1
Dell Inspiron 2500
Celeron 900Mhz, 384 Megs RAM, 40GB HD, DVD/CD-ROM, Floppy, 2x USB, new hi-cap battery, new hard drive, new screen, 56K, LAN
Asking: Under $300
PROS: I put this guy together out of some new parts and it really runs like a champ with a clean Win2k install. This one was my personal laptop for a period of time, and since I did some actual work to it I'm somewhat attached to it. All I really need is an Office machine, and this thing runs super smooth and for about 4 hours on the hi-cap battery I grabbed for it. Has a valid XP-Home key, no original CD's tho.
CONS: The case needs a little cleaning and a new right ALT key. Smallest screen and CPU of the bunch, although as smooth as it runs you wouldn't guess it. Perosnally I think that's due to it running Windows 2k and the others running XP Home SP2.

Laptop 2: E-Machines, model number not handy
ASKING PRICE: About $400
2.8Ghz Celeron CPU, 224Megs Ram, Intel Xtreme GFX 2, 40GB HDD, DVD/CD-RW drive, 4x USB, 15.4 inch widescreen, 56K, LAN, open RAM and Mini-PCI slots
PROS: In great shape, original battery works fine, holds charge for well over 2 hours. Very clean, no dings. Pretty damn quick, everything works well. Would probably run faster if it weren't running Xp Home SP2, has clean XP install and is matched to laptop's XP key.
CONS: Doesn't have original CD's. Is running XP home, but if I keep it I could fix that. No integrated WAN. Not as sexy as Laptop 3. Has integrated GFX controller so would be lousy for gaming.

Laptop 3: HP Pavillion zv6000, aka zv6107wm
ASKING PRICE: Between $500 - $600
1.8 Ghz Sempron 3200+ CPU, 384 megs RAM, ATI Mobility X200 GFX, 40 GB HD, DVD/CD-RW, 4xUSB, 56k, LAN, WAN, Bluetooth
PROS: Sexy, sexy, SEXY little laptop. Cool blue lights, nice case. Integrated WAN works better than my external el-cheapo D-link adapter. Very nice 15.4 inch widescreen display. 128 Meg (shared) ATI GFX and 3200+ CPU are probably better than my home machine (AMP XP 1800+, Original All In Wonder Radeon), plays all my games without a hitch including PSO. Has OS and restore CD's, clean key-matched XP Home install without extra HP junk software. With a good KVM, could easily make my home PC used only for music and storage.
CONS: As much as I want to keep this one, I think I could make the most selling it considering I have only some cash and no work into it. No battery at the moment but there's a hi-cap OEM HP battery waiting for it when I get back home. Does seem a little sluggish at times compared to the E-machine but again I blame this on XP Home, as Laptop 1 with 2K Pro is just as zippy with normal work as the bigger 2 and 3.

I'm looking for opinions and input here. The asking prices are there 'cus I intend to sell them, but like I said one of these will become my personal laptop.

Thanks,

Fathead
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by Sir C.A.T »

This is wierd, I was just searching for the ramen noodle thread and you post :D. Nice to see you here! Those are really good prices, to bad I don't have the change to pick one of those up :(.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

same here. hold off for like a month and a half and you will have a taker :)
Hiplikebadass
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Hiplikebadass »

bit off topic but. where could i learn to fix laptops at? i have a few spares that are broken.
let's get crazy with the cheeze wiz
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

If all you seriously want is to use as an office machine, throw openoffice on the first on and don't even worry about XP. If however, you want to take a break from work once in a while and get some gaming in, go with the third one. Of course, it also depends on what games you like to play. If you want to play purely emulated games, then still go with the first one. If you want some recent 3D games, the third still takes the cake.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I want that HP! Why couldn't this have been posted closer to tax return time!? In a month, I'd take it, but I'm broke right now. :x
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

DANGIT! IF ONLY MORE PEOPLE WOULD BUY MY CRAP!
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

yeah, im in the same boat as the rest of the guys here, id be willing to take one of those off your hands, but im short on cash right now :-(

overall though, id personally keep the HP, i dont care for Dell or crappy e-machines.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I hate to say this, but put them on ebay dude.
I posted a link in null to a dell lattitue that was a 233mhz p2 with 32mb ram that sold for $365.

Just using the right keywords and getting a cheapass wifi card will do wonders.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Yeah, I might toss em on ebay. I'll have these for at least the next two weeks before I really try and sell 'em, to those of you who were interested PM me with offers. I'd certainly rather hook up some DCEmu bretheren then let them go on e-bay, can usually work a better deal that way anyways and i don't mind letting them sit for a little bit. Gonna write them all off on my taxes anyways.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Now is a bad time to try to sell cause everybody is poor from christmas. However about the middle of Feb people will start getting tax refunds.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

exactly
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Post the emachines one on the osx86project forum that model will run osx 10.4.1 with full support and quartz extreme. Its a sure seller there
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Post the emachines one on the osx86project forum that model will run osx 10.4.1 with full support and quartz extreme. Its a sure seller there
Thanks, I'll look into it.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Alright guys, I'm seriously thinking about that HP. I currently have a Toshiba 2.4ghz Celeron. Is that 1.8 Sempron faster?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

melancholy wrote:Alright guys, I'm seriously thinking about that HP. I currently have a Toshiba 2.4ghz Celeron. Is that 1.8 Sempron faster?
Yes.
A 1.6 GHz Duron is faster than a 2.4 GHz Celeron.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I'll offer $550 + shipping (USPS preferrable) or $600 shipped for the Pavillion IF I can get a list of known problems first. I need a decent laptop for school.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

butters wrote:I'll offer $550 + shipping (USPS preferrable) or $600 shipped for the Pavillion IF I can get a list of known problems first. I need a decent laptop for school.
It doesn't cost $50 to ship a laptop.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Alright guys, I'm seriously thinking about that HP. I currently have a Toshiba 2.4ghz Celeron. Is that 1.8 Sempron faster?
The E-machines is a 2.8 gig, so it might be a little faster than the HP. Could probably use a little RAM, luckily the expansion slot's open.
I'll offer $550 + shipping (USPS preferrable) or $600 shipped for the Pavillion IF I can get a list of known problems first. I need a decent laptop for school.
Little confused here butters, you're saying $600 out the door for the HP? I always ship with USPS Priority, I can up it to EMS but it'll cost a little more. Any laptop will ship tracked, packed and well insured.

As for known problems, there are none that I have found with the HP. Everything's in good condition, I didn't notice any scratches on the screen. Everything works, the speakers sound pretty damn good (Altec Lansing speakers on the HP BTW). The DVD/CD-Rom drive works fine, no problems playing DVD's. The hard drive formatted without a hitch, and I've had no hangups or problems installing and using the included XP Pro. All the drivers for XP are on the apps CD, a well as DVD software and some useless bundled crap. The only thing "wrong" with the HP is that it came without a battery. As I said easrlier, it will ship with a brand new OEM HP high-capacity battery. The only things I don't know at this point are if it will run on a battery and if it will burn a CD as I'm on vacation in Colorado at the moment. (The battery's being sent to my home in Cali.) I'll get some pics up when I get back to Cali.

There's nothing wrong at all with the E-machines setup, it's stock speakers sound pretty good. The only thing I've found wrong with it is that people don't like E-machines systems for some reason. Again, same as the HP. HDD formatted fine, XP installed fine, no hangups.

The Dell needs a little cleanup on the shell and a new ALT key. It has two ALT keys and the right one is missing so that shouldn't really hinder you.

A few more details on the laptops: All come with AC adapters. The HP comes with a professional-looking HP carry case. The E-Machines comes with a padded Targus notebook bag, but if you want to pay a few extra bucks I can toss it in with the Dell.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I'd love to pick up #1, but I'm broke and right after Christmas I'm sure my folks wouldn't be too keen on buying me something like that...
Where's toastman? I'm bored.