Cygwin and code::blocks. A dream becomes reality.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cygwin and code::blocks. A dream becomes reality.

Post by pnpbios »

Yes, after long last, I have finaly integrated code::blocks with everybody's favorite dreamcast environment. I will post final instructions on it later today, but let's just say, it wasn't easy.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Good work. I'll try it out once you get the instructions up.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

OK, here are the step by step instructions to building your own code::blocks setup. This tutorial assumes no responsibility for broken or dammaged development environments. This tutorial also assumes you are using the Dreamcast Development CD, revision R1 or R2.

Also, this has only been attempted with C projects using sh-elf-gcc. I will try to come up with a way to get C++ working in the future. This may be solveable by creating a copy of this compiler and adding the appropriate flags.

If you are using R2, Code::Blocks comes on the CD, otherwise you are going to have to download that seperately.

Once installed, we must now setup the compiler. Go to the menu bar and go settings->compiler. This will bring you to the menu we will be working with. Next, under compilers listed at the top, go down until you find GNU GCC compiler. Hit the copy button, then rename it to something that matches your tastes. I set mine as the default, but you don't have to.

Under the first tab (comipler), select the second sub tab (other options), and add the folowing lines.

Code: Select all

-O2 -DFRAME_POINTERS -ml -m4-single-only
-fno-optimize-sibling-calls
Under the third sub tab (#defines), add these lines. I'm not totaly sure why this works, and I don't remember adding them this way, but they were there when I opened code::blocks this morning, so oh well. It just works this way, trust me. ;)

_arch_dreamcast -D_arch_sub_pristine -Wall
_arch_dreamcast -D_arch_sub_pristine -Wall -g -fno-builtin -fno-strict-aliasing
Go to the second primary tab labled Linker. Add the folowing lines to the Other Options box.

-g -fno-builtin -fno-strict-aliasing  -ml -m4-single-only -Wl,-Ttext=0x8c010000
-nostartfiles -nostdlib
C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\kernel\arch\dreamcast\kernel\startup.o
-Wl,--start-group -lkallisti -lc -lgcc -Wl,--end-group
Again, it is realy important that your directories match mine. Your program will not link properly without startup.o. Unlike with DCFreeDev, you don't have to copy startup.o to your project folder.

Next comes the directories main tab. Under the first sub tab, compiler, add the following directories.

C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos-ports\include
C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\include
C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\kernel\arch\dreamcast\include
C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\addons\include
under the second tab, linker, add these.

C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\lib\dreamcast
C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\kos\kos\addons\lib\dreamcast
Alrighty, next, the programs tab!
Set your base directory to this.

C:\cygwin\usr\local\dc\sh-elf
Now, we setup the programs.

C compiler:     sh-elf-gcc.exe
C++ compiler:     sh-elf-g++.exe
Dynamic Linker:     sh-elf-g++.exe
Static Linker:     sh-elf-ar.exe
leave debugger, resource compiler, and make alone. We don't need them.
Under aditional paths, add this.

C:\cygwin\bin
That's it. Now you are done setting up the compiler! To make sure it works, try creating a project.

Go File->New Poroject. Make a new Console program, but make sure to set it as a C project. (haven't figured out C++ yet). Also, set it so it doesn't add any files to the project.

Go Projects->properties. Click Project build options and make sure that you have your new compiler selected. Next, click on the targets tab, and change your output file name extension to .elf, instead of .exe.

Now, at this point, you have a prety good template setup for future projects, at this time, you could save it as a template under Projects->Save as User Template. I'll leave that up to you.

Add a new C source file to the project, and for a sample, this works prety well.

#include <kos.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	int x, y;

/* Bother us with output only if something died */
	dbglog_set_level(DBG_DEAD);

/* Set the video mode */
	vid_set_mode(DM_640x480, PM_RGB565);

for (y=0; y<480; y++)
		for (x=0; x<640; x++) {
			int c = (x ^ y) & 255;
			vram_s[y*640+x] = ((c >> 3) << 12)
				| ((c >> 2) << 5)
				| ((c >> 3) << 0);
		}

/* Pause to see the results */
	while(1);
	usleep(5*1000*1000);

return 0;
}
The way the compiler is setup right now, it links to the default libraries, lkallisti and lgcc, and so on. To link to other ones, go Project->Build options, and add them from there. You won't see all the changes we made, because code::blocks hides them from the user unless explicitly changed. As long as the compiler is set to the one you made, no problems.

One last thing, don't try executing, When I want to compile, I usualy just hit the rebuild button.

Happy coding, and let me know if you run into any issues!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

What I would like to see is code::blocks setup so it also supports the new debugging support with dc-load 1.0.4 and the BBA. code::blocks has nice debugging features.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:What I would like to see is code::blocks setup so it also supports the new debugging support with dc-load 1.0.4 and the BBA. code::blocks has nice debugging features.
Send me a broadband addaptor, and I'll see what I can do. ;)
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I'd like to see this to be an alternative to the ISO - not attached to it.

You should group everything together that is needed and put all of it in a simple installer (something like Nullsoft). Have it labeled something like "Code::Blocks DC Dev Environ" and that way, the user can install Code::Blocks, and if they want to, they can download your installer, install it over Code::Blocks, then make the necessary changes inside Code::Blocks.

That way, they dont need to install my Dev ISO if they don't want to.

If you'd like, I'll be glad to help you if it's needed.

EDIT: Also, R1 of the ISOs directory for kos is a little different. Instead of /usr/local/dc/kos like how R2 is, R1's structure is /usr/local/dc/kos1.3.

EDIT2: Another concern - the Code::Blocks that comes on the R2 ISO does not have the compiler with it. It is just the bare text editor - does this matter?
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

No, the compiler does not matter. It's being setup to use the dreamcast cygwin one.
I was thinking a self contained package would be nice too. Now that I have my proof of concept completed, i'm a few steps closer.

My big beef with code::blocks is that the export/import settings function is broke, and i'm not sure what I would be able to hack my own thing of it together. I'll play around with it later tonight and see if i'm missing anything.

Thanks for the responses, has anybody tried this yet?
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

Alright, I figured out a hack to import and export compiler settings for code::blocks. The thing is, it's just a hack for now, because in the next version they are switching to an xml based settings configuration. As soon as I can get the exported regfile uploaded, I'll post it here.

edit: a link to the regfile
http://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/longaj/dcdev/cbreg.zip

somebody try this and tell me if it works.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

Ok, I tried the registry hack on another machine, and it works perfectly. Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a working setup. The only problem right now is that it will overwrite your old compiler settings if you have another custom compiler installed. I'll see what I can do to fix this.
Humanoid
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Humanoid »

Thanks PNP! After learning that the DC had an SDL port, I always wanted to start dev work for it, but I never got motivated enough to actually set up a dev environment. Luckily, I saw your instructions, and they work perfectly! I only have one problem after compiling your example, and its probably unrelated to the actual dev setup. When I try to convert the ELF file to a BIN using Elf2bin, it creates a bin with a size of 0kb. Can someone haelp me with this?

(Sorry for the mild derail!)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the ELF actually HAS size, 893kb to be exact.
Last edited by Humanoid on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I recommend using 1st_read.bin file checker to convert the ELF to a BIN, or simply use the .R -stack switch with sh-obj-elf.exe
Humanoid
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Humanoid »

Thanks LyingWake, it worked! I look forward to porting my tilemap engine now :D
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

Well, I'm glad it worked. I figured out a solution that seems to work with C++ anyways, I'll post that when I get a good chance.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Have you tested reading from /pc/ yet?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

No, I haven't. Should it be any different? I do something a little differently. I run mkisofs on whatever directory I want to be my disc image, and mount that over DC-TOOL. This saves me a huge ammount of pain when I will go to convert my code from test to produciton.
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

On linux you can create a copy of the GCC compiler settings and then set the compiler programs to use the kos gnu_wrapper scripts. No fussing with the compiler/link settings at all!

Basically copy GCC, rename to something useful (KOS), go to programs tab, set root dir to kos/utils/gnu_wrappers, set programs to: kos-cc, kos-c++, kos-c++, kos-ar

go into the gnu_wrappers directory, create a symlink called "bin" pointing to the gnu_wrappers dir:
"ln -s . bin"

The only requirement is that you have your environ.sh script executed before starting the wrapper scripts.

If you want to get romdisk support you can add the commands to the pre-build step in your project build options and then add romdisk.o to the linker extra args section.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

ATani wrote:On linux you can create a copy of the GCC compiler settings and then set the compiler programs to use the kos gnu_wrapper scripts. No fussing with the compiler/link settings at all!

The only requirement is that you have your environ.sh script executed before starting the wrapper scripts.
This has what to do with setting it up under an IDE? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why you came here to post that...

Here is the C++ version I promised. It will overwrite your previous settings, so you will loose your pure C compiler. Change your project files and file extensions as required

http://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/longaj/dcdev/dccpp.zip
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

pnpbios wrote: This has what to do with setting it up under an IDE? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why you came here to post that...
I will take that with a very large grain of salt... The reason why I posted that in this thread is because this thread started out with configuring code::blocks to work for DC development.

My post was to provide an alternative to your instructions, which IMHO are much simpler and are more maintainable since you do not have to disable non DC compilation.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

pnpbios wrote:This has what to do with setting it up under an IDE? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why you came here to post that...
Because it gives people a nice little hint about how to get it working with the Linux version of Code::Blocks (which I just did). Instead of mucking around with various command-line flags, you can just point Code::Blocks to the wrapper scripts provided in kos/utils/gnu_wrappers, which take care of calling the real compilers with the appropriate parameters. The rest of the setup (adding the include directories and so on) is pretty much the same, although not required for the compiler to function. It is required for the IDE to find the include and library files, of course. It (should) also work correctly with C++, and C/C++ mixed projects.

I don't know if this is present in the Windows version of Code::Blocks, but in the Linux version under Settings->Compiler, in the Other tab, there's an option labelled "Shell to run console programs". That can be set up to run your app through DCLoad by specifying DCLoad instead of a terminal app.
Last edited by BlackAura on Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

BlackAura wrote:I don't know if this is present in the Windows version of Code::Blocks, but in the Linux version under Settings->Compiler, in the Other tab, there's an option labelled "Shell to run console programs". That can be set up to run your app through DCLoad by specifying DCLoad instead of a terminal app.
That is an option I somehow overlooked... Cool tip :)

One more tip, you should be able to setup gdb to work with dcload by using the gdb plugin configuration dialog to add "target remote :2159". I have not tried this yet but it should work.

Mike