Anybody ever bought cheap import anime dvds?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Anybody ever bought cheap import anime dvds?

Post by Quzar »

from a site like this: http://www.discountanimedvd.com/ ?

I was thinking about getting some, but I worry about the quality, and making sure they are official japanese releases and not the hong kong version of it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

The words 'quality' and 'hong kong version' do not belong in the same sentence. I bought Love Hina off of that site about 3 or 4 years ago, and the video is worse than watching a VCD.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by navi »

Really? I bought Love Hina from the same place and it looked beautiful.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I have the official love hina complete box set, but it set me back 110$ last christmas, but was well worth it. The thing is it seems like they sell a mix of both legit japanese import dvds, and hong kong bootlegs.

What company does your love hina thing say it is made by? On the site they show 3 different companies under imports: Animation Video, Anime Cartoon, and FX. It seems like FX may be legit as it doesn't offer chineese subtitles on it's dvds.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

navi wrote:Really? I bought Love Hina from the same place and it looked beautiful.
I bought the Hong Kong version of it. It was $35 after shipping. Not only does it look like garbage, but the subtitles are broken as well. And don't even get me started on my Hong Kong version of Lain. I literally had to rip three episodes from one disc and reencode them onto a new disc because the audio was off by almost 3 seconds. Paid $23 for that one. But I suppose that's what I get for buying illegal anime. My Evangelion and Outlaw Star discs, however, are quite nice, considering how much compression they had to do to make them fit on three discs. It's hit and miss really when it comes to cheap imports.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sigh, maybe i'll just keep searching. If I'm gonna end up with a bootleg thing anyways, i might as well just download an ogm or mkv copy and make my own dvds =\.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

I bought lupin series 1,2, and 3. Excellent quality, subtitles are decent. I also purchased Hokuto No Ken. Excellent quality as well, subs are a little bit better. Look out for "you guy" in the subs.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

If you buy from that site, make sure you buy sets with english dialogue. These are usually the best quality as they are R1 copies.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:The words 'quality' and 'hong kong version' do not belong in the same sentence. I bought Love Hina off of that site about 3 or 4 years ago, and the video is worse than watching a VCD.
Unless you're talking Hong Kong Legends, right? Heh. The only anime series I own is Trigun, which is a bootleg. Quality is pretty good, considering the high number of eps per disc. I was completely unwilling to buy the ludicrously inflated American boxset. $180 for about 10 hours of material? Ridiculous.

There are occasional legit HK releases which are usually still far cheaper than the American releases. I don't even bother differentiating anymore when buying online, it's extremely difficult to tell with Chinese stuff what you're getting (I'm referring to HK films as well). No one over in China seems to care, so I'm finding it difficult for me to.

Bit different when I buy in shops in places like Chinatown. I do try to find legit releases in those cases, but you have to be fairly knowledgeable in different labels to know what to look for.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I have the Trigun one. It's...okay. It could be better, but as you said, considering the high number of episodes on a disc.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:I have the Trigun one. It's...okay. It could be better, but as you said, considering the high number of episodes on a disc.
What does yours look like? The image quality is very good except in very high motion, where there is noticeable macroblocking. Subtitles are kinda bad, but I'd seen it with good subtitles a couple times before so that's OK.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:
melancholy wrote:I have the Trigun one. It's...okay. It could be better, but as you said, considering the high number of episodes on a disc.
What does yours look like? The image quality is very good except in very high motion, where there is noticeable macroblocking. Subtitles are kinda bad, but I'd seen it with good subtitles a couple times before so that's OK.
I guess I'm just picky about my shows. Like I said, it's okay, considering. It's still not one of the best compression jobs I've seen though. My 3 disc series of Evangelion and Outlaw Star series are quite amazing, and my Cowboy Bebop one is pretty good too. Compared to those three, Trigun does not hold up.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

It is a gamble with the bootlegs, my GTO, Excel Saga, Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop & Ranma seasons 1 & 2 are perfect, the Full Metal Panic I got is good with just occasional small oines in actiony bits but the Ranma season 3 I got was hideous thin horizontal lines almost all the time on any movement & on 2 episodes the jap audio vanishes entirely to be replaced with the english dub. Either I've been lucky for most of them or its a major gamble getting them, fortunatly I'm replacing them with legit remastered ones when possible like with Cowboy Bebop & I'm lookin into legit Ranma's from season 3 onwards now as I dont want the nasty side effects on my eyes (or ears if it cuts to the dub again)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

God, I guess I got the one bad Love Hina in existance. :roll:
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i bought love hina from them, no complaints. subtitles could be better, but its legible. and i've already seen the show enough times with fansubs to know the dialog so i'm not complaining.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
I guess I'm just picky about my shows. Like I said, it's okay, considering. It's still not one of the best compression jobs I've seen though. My 3 disc series of Evangelion and Outlaw Star series are quite amazing, and my Cowboy Bebop one is pretty good too. Compared to those three, Trigun does not hold up.
I meant which Trigun release. I'm aware of two different boot releases, there may be more.

Edit to add: there are at least three. Just checked ebay and found two ones that are not what I got. Mine also appears to be the only one that is four discs instead of three.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Um...it has MAC printed all over the inside of it. Dunno.
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ominous 0nionfrog »

http://www.IloveasianDvds.com
is an excellent site for anime dvds.
Most of the Dvds are very good quality..
Very Cheap too, Check it out... :D
jaredfogle wrote: Every time you jack off, you kill thousands of "people."
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

melancholy wrote:God, I guess I got the one bad Love Hina in existance. :roll:
My HK Love Hina's first three or four episodes on disc three are unwatchable. Worst quality. From what I asked at import-anime.com, they concluded that I most likely got a bad copy. Forgot to mention mines made from FX.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

I've bought stuff there before..... they dont have as much crap as they used to much more legit ...but the prices are higher now too
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL