ScummVM DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ScummVM DC

Post by Sonic-NKT »

Hi,
tried after longt time the dreamcast version of ScummVM again. works good but i have some questions.
Is someone still working on it and i mean really working on the DC port, not only compiling a new DC version with new ScummVM code.
Also the cursor is kind of slow and sometimes kind of skipping (in the newest release), but only ingame not in the menu. IS this a bug, cause the dreamcast should have enough power for this.
Last thing i recognized is that ScummVM DC gets unplayable with speech versions of games. (tried Monkey Island 3 and The DIG), when speech is used the DC loads from the disc all the time and the game really slows down is not playable anymore. Would be nice if this gets fixed, i mean it should be possible or not.
anyway perhaps someone can help me with my problems.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Marcus Comstedt (DreamSNES, VMoo) and some others are still working on the DC port. He did it from day one (or at least when he stopped working on DreamSNES).
But he is not the only one working on the DC version. I know that at least one other great coder is working on the DC version. I think it was Erwan but I am not 100% sure.

Regarding the cursor: The D-pad cursor move is slow. Try the Analog pad for speedy but less accurate cursor movement. Combine using both of them for 100% perfect controls.

Regarding the speech paks: Sam & Max, BASS, Day of the Tentacle, FOTAQ & Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis were the games I tried with speech paks and they run 100% perfectly! :D

You trying The Dig and Monkey Island 3 is just not very lucky as both games aren't properly emulated by SCUMMVM DC as of yet.

One of the things that just recently had been implemented into SCUMM VM DC was the ability to use MP3 / OGG / FLAC for the speech paks to improve performance. This had been implemented into the PC version since 7.0 I think, but as of now no official DC build supports that, only the most recent daily builds.
Insane homebrew collector.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Christuserloeser wrote:You trying The Dig and Monkey Island 3 is just not very lucky as both games aren't properly emulated by SCUMMVM DC as of yet.
I doubt they ever will be - without any external storage.

ScummVM for Dreamcast has to store the engine data in memory, as well as cache speech in memory on the fly, to reduce skipping. With the games using the more modern versions of the ScummVM engine, it's just not possible. There's no space to cache the sounds, so the game just tries to run them off of the CD on the fly. Which makes the game slow and unplayable.

And - erwan isn't a member of the ScummVM team. He just compiles the CVS release code.

Marcus does indeed still work on the Dreamcast port. His last code commit was only a few months ago. There is also work done on the Dreamcast port at times by other members of the ScummVM team.

ScummVM is modular, so it doesn't require much work to be done on the Dreamcast backend. All of the grunt work has already been done. Regular tuneups are required at times - such as changing code in the DC backend to keep it compliant with any source changes in the main code, and adapting in any new features that the main code might have added. But for the most part the Dreamcast port is self-sufficient.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

MetaFox wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:You trying The Dig and Monkey Island 3 is just not very lucky as both games aren't properly emulated by SCUMMVM DC as of yet.
I doubt they ever will be - without any external storage.
external storage? how is that possible? but it would be very cool ;)

ok, good to hear that!
sad thing is just that those games THE DIG, Monkey3 + Simon the Sorcere 1+2 are the only games with speech i have ;)
about the cursor movement, i use the DC mouse for this and its much more accurate in the menu (press start) as in the actual game. not really annoying i just wanted to ask.
anyway, thanks for the informative answers.
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

ok so how exactly do I get scummvm to work on the dc. I've read stuff in the past but none of it really made any sense.

can anyone point me to an extensive tutorial geared towards n00bs. It would be much appreciated.

I have Sam & Max, DOTT, and all the Monkey Island games on cd if that helps/means anything.
Plastics.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Just create a folder, put your games into it along with the SCUMMVM bin and point BootDreams to that folder.

http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue
Insane homebrew collector.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

AntiPro wrote:ok so how exactly do I get scummvm to work on the dc. I've read stuff in the past but none of it really made any sense.

can anyone point me to an extensive tutorial geared towards n00bs. It would be much appreciated.

I have Sam & Max, DOTT, and all the Monkey Island games on cd if that helps/means anything.
If you have those games on CD (aka, you actually own the games), then just find an image of scummVM DC and burn it. Boot up the cd in your dreamcast, then swap it with whatever game you want to play. That's what I did, worked fine. :)

If you have any disk based games, then follow what Christuserloeser just said.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."