*sigh* Why does everyone compare any FPS to Halo?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ceeg »

Vlad Tepes wrote:I think Halo was successful because...

- It was easily playable with a controller.
- The fat-ass reticle and slow gameplay made it ideal for people who didn't have the reflexes, or the precision needed to play other FPS.
- It had fairly straight-forward mission objectives that kept the game action-oriented, as opposed to "objective-oriented", like Goldeneye.
- It targeted the gamers who didn't normaly play first person shooters, and gave many of those gamers their first enjoyable FPS experience.
- It didn't lose any playability when playing in split-screen.
- It was a launch title that didn't suck.

I think Halo's success was the product of good overall marketing. It was at the right place at the right time, and was dumbed down just enough to be accessable to joe-gamer. If it had been released on any other platform at any other time, I think it would have been much less successful.

So basically you're saying it was a beginners FPS game so to speak?
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
neoak wrote:
Vchat20 wrote:Goldeneye WAS the god of console FPS'

/me dodges the rotten tomatoes
GE is the game that set consoles as a viable platform for FPS. Thing is, GE used the 1 stick-4button set to move and aim. Halo uses the 2 stick setup.

Halo was the first FPS to use the 2 stick setup succesfully, besides to the fact that the Sticks in the PS controller are crap for precision and the C-stick in the GC controller is not good fro FPS at all. I did play TS2 in my GC and in a PS2 too.

Also, Halo is more "mainstream" with the 2 weapon-at-a-time thing and the Warthog was fun to drive. Yeah, GE and PD had vehicles, but those felt like you were moving slowly with another weapon. As for cheaters, i have yet to find one since the last update (i mean when they dropped Head-to-Head and made Team Snipers ranked)

So, Halo set the foundation for the 2 stick setup. If there was no Halo, people would compare it to GE or PD. Same as people compare Platformers with Mario 64 (some still do), 2K's NFL with Madden, RPGs with Final Fantasy VI/VII/X whatever, Kart games with Mario Kart (Jak X anyone? Crash i-don't-know-what), etc etc.

As long as its popular, people will compare it. People used to compare MMORPGs with Everquest, now they do with World of Warcraft.
i dont agree, PS2 had several FPS games with two stick controll out before the xbox even launched, and even though the placement of the sticks on the ps2 pad isnt the best, it still was the real basis imho

(besides, i played UT and Q3 on the dreamcast, and if you use the 4 action buttons to move, and the analog for aiming, its pretty damn close to dual analog controll)
GE had a dual stick setup you could use quite a long way before any PS2 fps did it, it worked rather well as I recall
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I liked the original halo a lot, but it IS overrated. It did spawn the genius dual analog setup so it has to get some props, but it's not as good as, say, half-life.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I think Halo is a very good game. Not the best FPS ever (that accolade goes to the underrated and underappreciate Deus Ex), but enjoyable and well made. Good multiplayer, a decent single player campaign, very, very good co-op and smart A.I. make it an excellent game.

The second one went for a more cinematic look and feel -- epic -- and in some respects it suceeded, and in some it failed. The single player was a bit up and down. Still, I was playing the multiplayer 6 months after release -- and not because I didn't have anything else to play. It's very well balanced, and, overall, the multiplayer is some of the best I've played.

I'd give the first one an 8.5 out of 10 if you have someone to co-op it with; if not, I'd give it a 7. The second one, on Live!, I'd give a 10/10. The campaign is a mixed bag, but is ultimately decent, and with 2 players is always fun. 8/10 I'd say.

Overall, not the best series of all time, and there are games I enjoy more, but I think "teh hardcorez" rags on the game waaaaaaaaay too much. The way some people speak of the game, you'd think it was complete crap, and this couldn't be farther from the truth.
Very sexy hero, omg
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Ceeg wrote:

- The fat-ass reticle and slow gameplay made it ideal for people who didn't have the reflexes, or the precision needed to play other FPS.
- It had fairly straight-forward mission objectives that kept the game action-oriented, as opposed to "objective-oriented", like Goldeneye.
- It targeted the gamers who didn't normaly play first person shooters, and gave many of those gamers their first enjoyable FPS experience.

I think Halo's success was the product of good overall marketing. It was at the right place at the right time, and was dumbed down just enough to be accessable to joe-gamer. If it had been released on any other platform at any other time, I think it would have been much less successful.

Nope. If that's what I was trying to say, that's what I would have said.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Vlad Tepes wrote:
Ceeg wrote:

Nope. If that's what I was trying to say, that's what I would have said.

Well after what you typed i kinda think that thats what Halo basically is, its like a training FPS to get you started with FPS games and when ur done wit Halo you can move onto greater and better FPS.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Nick wrote:I think Halo is a very good game. Not the best FPS ever (that accolade goes to the underrated and underappreciate Deus Ex), but enjoyable and well made. Good multiplayer, a decent single player campaign, very, very good co-op and smart A.I. make it an excellent game.

The second one went for a more cinematic look and feel -- epic -- and in some respects it suceeded, and in some it failed. The single player was a bit up and down. Still, I was playing the multiplayer 6 months after release -- and not because I didn't have anything else to play. It's very well balanced, and, overall, the multiplayer is some of the best I've played.

I'd give the first one an 8.5 out of 10 if you have someone to co-op it with; if not, I'd give it a 7. The second one, on Live!, I'd give a 10/10. The campaign is a mixed bag, but is ultimately decent, and with 2 players is always fun. 8/10 I'd say.

Overall, not the best series of all time, and there are games I enjoy more, but I think "teh hardcorez" rags on the game waaaaaaaaay too much. The way some people speak of the game, you'd think it was complete crap, and this couldn't be farther from the truth.
:cheers:
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

halo is pretty crappy lol and i hate these stupid kids that say "its the only fps" just like i hate kids that say "playstation was the first console" :roll: dumbasses
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

It took you 4 months to beat? I beat the PC version in around 4 days.

People that say "Playstation is the only console" are obviously 15 and 16 year old kids... people who don't remember what a NES or even an Atari 2600, or Pong (THE 1st console... as far as I remember) is.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Halo 2 disappointed me for numerous reasons but for single player Halo: Combat Evolved on Legendary difficulty is still my favourite gaming experience this gen. I compare other FPS games to it for that reason alone. It could be argued that it's a design fault that Halo doesn't truely excel until you play it at the highest difficulty level but meh...

The great thing about legendary is that the whole experience changes. It's incredibly hard but not unfair. If you fail it's because you made a mistake and not because of some cheap AI trick. When you use concentration and skill to get through a 20 minute battle and reach that checkpoint it's so fucking satisfying. Every little game balancing detail that you didn't really notice in normal or heroic difficulty becomes important in Legendary. The excellent weapon balancing comes into play as you work your way through 4 or 5 different weapons just to win one battle; you appreciate how good the AI is as you move desperately from cover point to cover point, trying to stay alive, trying to find a safe spot to let your sheild recharge or to pick up some ammo. Every single firefight in the game becomes a true, intense, immersive full-on rumble. The massive set pieces in those huge, well designed sandbox-like levels become truely epic. This is the kind of gaming that gives me BONERS!
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Part of the reason that it's so great is that there are ALWAYS people to play with. I've tried playing other XBoxLive FPS's and I can't get placed in a game a lot.

I don't know how you can say Halo is pretty crappy. It is an awsome game. It may not be your favorite, but you can't deny it's greatness. T

What exactly don't you like? The huge beautiful levels, kick ass music that gets you hyped to kill, or awsome controls? Is it the perfect balance between weapons or epic storyline? Actually that sounds like Metroid Prime, my favorite FPA.

Are you angry because you keep getting noob comboed.

And I'm not going to say my opinions on Golden Eye cause I'm sure everyone will disagree but you can't compare new FPSs to Golden Eye. Might as well compare new PC FPS to Doom. Halo is the standard at the moment.

What is it's competition? I played all the war FPSs for xbox, Time Splitters, Red Factions, and probably a bunch more I can't remember and none of them compare.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

JuddWack wrote:What is it's competition? I played all the war FPSs for xbox, TimeSplitters, Red Factions, and probably a bunch more I can't remember and none of them compare.
TimeSplitters more than kicks Halo's baboon like ass in to touch IMO. It's fast and furious, requires plenty of skill, It's lastability and more importantly it's fun to play.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

I hate the Halotards. It's a good fps, but it's not the only thing in the world.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

i compare any fps to hl2 now: if i cant throw some poor peoples tv out the window the game sucks :guffaw:

me any my tv throwing antics :lol:
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

JuddWack wrote:Part of the reason that it's so great is that there are ALWAYS people to play with. I've tried playing other XBoxLive FPS's and I can't get placed in a game a lot.

I don't know how you can say Halo is pretty crappy. It is an awsome game. It may not be your favorite, but you can't deny it's greatness. T

What exactly don't you like? The huge beautiful levels, kick ass music that gets you hyped to kill, or awsome controls? Is it the perfect balance between weapons or epic storyline? Actually that sounds like Metroid Prime, my favorite FPA.

Are you angry because you keep getting noob comboed.

And I'm not going to say my opinions on Golden Eye cause I'm sure everyone will disagree but you can't compare new FPSs to Golden Eye. Might as well compare new PC FPS to Doom. Halo is the standard at the moment.

What is it's competition? I played all the war FPSs for xbox, Time Splitters, Red Factions, and probably a bunch more I can't remember and none of them compare.

Since when did graphics and music determine how good of a game is?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I have always felt that if there is no mouse support then FPSes don't belong on console. I first started playing FPS on PC, and I find it sad in a way that lots of people are being introduced to them on console with a controller as input. Multiplayer with a mouse almost begins to feels real. Like when a guy starts shooting at you from behind, in real life you would turn around as fast as possible and shoot back right? (assuming you are not a pussy) With a mouse you say to yourself, "I want to aim there" and you do aim there in a very short period of time. With a analog stick it's like controlling a heavy-duty construction crane... a little to the left, little to the right, tap up. There! I will never become acustomed to that.

And there are people who are not convinced that the mouse is a superior input method for FPS. They will be like, "dude, if Halo/SOCOM/etc had mouse support I'd still beat your anus!" Clueless idiot. I highly doubt it. I guarantee you won't.

It makes me mad that so many online FPS players have migrated to consoles. I tried to follow. But I can't use that damn controller. Yes, I could force myself to master it but the whole time it's in the back of my mind "This isn't the way it should be" and the fun from the game is gone.

That is my rant. Thank you.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I tried so hard to get into FPS on PCs, but i just couldn't handle using a keyboard and a mouse. I rather have a FPS for console than a PC. Do i think i can kick your ass in Socom with a mouse, yeah, but will i actually do it hell no. Thinking and doing two different things/

*gets sniped*
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i'd love to see a game where console players can go up against pc players on the same servers, but its never been offically done, i wonder why ? well actually i don't.

not getting the hang of wasd and a mouse and claiming you can play fps competatively is, well i don't know what it is, but it aint right i tell you. . .

delusional probably
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

mikozero wrote:i'd love to see a game where console players can go up against pc players on the same servers, but its never been offically done, i wonder why ? well actually i don't.

not getting the hang of wasd and a mouse and claiming you can play fps competatively is, well i don't know what it is, but it aint right i tell you. . .

delusional probably
Id Software let Quake III for Dreamcast connect to the same servers as Quake III for PC, and you could play against each other. PC Users were even given a Dreamcast map pack to download if I recall correctly so they could do so.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

i'd love to see a game where console players can go up against pc players on the same servers, but its never been offically done, i wonder why ? well actually i don't.
Yeah, you get whooped playing DC Q3 with a pad v PC Q3 with mouse and keyboard. :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800