Calling All Comedians

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Calling All Comedians

Post by btm4k »

In effort to enhance my personality, I'm trying to boost my funny skills. I've been searching the intarweb but havent found anything yet. If you have first hand tips, experiences, or examples that you would like to share, I'm sure it would be appreciated by not only me, but many.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

You need to train up your wit, but I have no idea how to do that.

Surely the best way would just be to associate yourself with humour. Go on lots of jokes sites, watch lots of comedy shows, read funny articles in magazines and things. You know, the sort of stuff you can remember and re-use in your own conversations.

Personality-wise you need to learn to not hold back from laughing, keeping a stiff-upper-lip wont help. Also, learn to have a sense of humour about yourself and just be generally more relaxed about life.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I'm not really witty in the normal way. Instead, I'm great at insulting people. It doesn't get me far, but it's enjoyable to watch.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

sarcasm is the clear winner.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Problem with comedy and being funny in general is that what is amusing to person A can be downright insulting to person B. Im sure some of you remember my comments about a dog being sucked up into a wheel well of a car (wich was infact a joke based off of a Squee comic) Quite a fuss was made afterall.

Personally that kind of thing gives me a chuckle or two, im an avid happy tree friends watcher so my sense of humor can easily be described as a bit morbid or possibly "twisted"

However not everybody shared my sense of humor. a lot of people were very insulting to say the least, though I admit I enjoyed the attention :wink:

But alas nobody laughed, atleast they didnt show it anyway. So I failed miserably at being entertaining even if for a blink of an eye. Thats fine on an internet forum but in the real world if you tell the wrong joke in a public enviroment like say the workplace, public opinion of you is gonna go waaay down hill.

In order to be funny you have to know what others are likely to laugh at. You can read a lot of that from someone based on thier personality or interests. For example: Republicans are most likely gonna laugh at political satire aimed at Democrats than the Democrats themselves. Thats just how humans work.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

Speaking of comedians....
Richard Pryor died today :cry: :cry: :cry:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

XPoGoX wrote:Speaking of comedians....
Richard Pryor died today :cry: :cry: :cry:
Damn :(
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

i killed him
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

" He is one funny motherfu**er!" (about Richard Pryor)

... extra points for the first person to say what funnyman said that, and in what context.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
VB_User
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by VB_User »

I think humour is something that comes naturally, I consider myself a pretty funny person and have always been told i am. I cant remember a time where i actually thought that i should try to be funny it just happens naturally.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Re: Calling All Comedians

Post by ian »

btm4k wrote:In effort to enhance my personality, I'm trying to boost my funny skills. I've been searching the intarweb but havent found anything yet. If you have first hand tips, experiences, or examples that you would like to share, I'm sure it would be appreciated by not only me, but many.
you can't just boost you funny skills, you need to be born that way. you can try but it wont really work, anyway here are some pointers:

know your audience- this is the most important step for ANY type of comedy

be able to laugh at yourself and all your flaws- if someone disses you take it one level up

dont hold back- just say anything around people you are comfortable with

and dont restrict yourself to one type of comedy- try everything includig music ;)

quotes are ok. if people don't know where it came from tell them if they do share some others with them

to pull off all that (in person) you have to be fast-witted :wink:

hope some of that helped
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I do what I can to entertain myself, if someone happens to get a laugh in as a byproduct then yay, if not who cares.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Thanks. From what I've been reading, it can be aquired. It just takes practice. I do consdier myself funny, but not as funny as I could be. I often lack the "quick whit" which I'm working on. There are many ways to be funny, so I was checking to see what ya'll know. Thanks for the responces.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i have this weird thing were i say things in conversation that appear innocuous,
but actually i'm being very, very sarcastic, insulting, or sometimes suggestive.

i do it a lot without thinking (it amuses me on the inside) and i have no idea when i started doing it. no one has ever caught on as i'm speaking to them (partly, i think, as i use body language at the same time and i don't wait for them to notice as you would if you 'made a funny'), needless to say my expression doesn't flicker.

only 3 people have ever noticed it (from outside observation), all women, who then begain to think i was hilarious (which was somewhat annoying and in some cases downright dangerous). . .

but then manipulation of the spoken word is very much my fort?, my Gran used to say i could talk the legs off a donkey and make him thank me afterward. in the past i've not above manipulating the stupid (or even to not so stupid), and i've amazed company by predicting the run of an entire conversation i'll have with someone else before it occurs on the singular basis of my opening gambit (due to prior knowledge of the targets personality, interests and speech patterns) however, i don't do that kind of stuff any more (its depresssing), even though i still hate the robotic casual conversations most imbeciles have.

anyway.

now and again i'll expose my 'wit' if i'm feeling chirpy, and something occurs to me,
just a line or two, and watch my mates spray their drinks across the table.
but i'm not 'conventionally funny', generally it's always very dark, off-the-cuff and situational.
Last edited by mikozero on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Richard Pryor ruled, that sucks :(
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'm not sure if I'm the one to ask about humor. Yesterday, my friends Justin and Brittney, and Jeeba and I went to a pizza place. I was just thinking, and I thought about the fact that 3 x 3 = 9. I started bursting out laughing SO HARD. Jeeba looks at me, and I say "three times three equals nine!" and he chuckles because I'm finding that so funny, then I double over with laughter, my stomach muscles started hurting, and I go "It's the same number!" which Jeeba found funny, and because laughter is contagious he started laughing hard too. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard, I wound up eating hardly any pizza because my stomach felt so bad after laughing so hard at the fact that 3 x 3 = 9, and the fact that in that equation 3 is multiplied by itself.

Oh, and I wasn't high or deprived of sleep. I have no idea what happened.
It's thinking...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

There's 2 types of funny:

born funny and learned funny.

If you're not the first, you never will be, but you can be the second. A british comedian called Bob Monkhouse once had his jokebook stolen, and offered a huge reward because hes the second type of comedian, and it was /literally/ his entire career in one book.

He spent his life learning jokes, quips and anecdotes relating to specific situations, so he could always tell a joke in any given situation, and he usually had multiples so he could adjust which joke to tell depending on the crowd he was in.

But spontaneous wit, you either have it or you dont, nothing you can do to change that.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

If you are part of a minority or are kind of weird, you can pick that apart. For example, when something goes wrong for me, I say "It's because I am mexican." That always get a couple laughs.

Being with stupid people also helps a lot, because it gives you experience with stupidity.

Also, different crowds require different jokes. You obviously cannot tell a religous joke to someone who is really devout. You cannot tell a joke about mormons to a mormon. There is almost never an exception, unless you are in a comedy club and the people expect it. Some black people, for example, do not like black people jokes because of the stereotypes in them, even though they perpetuate the stereotypes.

Oh, and never, ever tell a racist joke when surrounded by the race you are making the joke about and you are the opposite race.(Hope that last bit made sense.)
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by Sir C.A.T »

Just, well, I don't know. I was just kind of bored that way. Just do normal things and it will come to you.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

You can build wit, just observe for a while and see how things tick think of smart replys and when you think you got it let it loose.