RIAA Bans Telling Friends About Songs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RIAA Bans Telling Friends About Songs

Post by Sir Savant »

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid= ... 1&from=rss

Well, not really, but they might as well.
"According to the BBC, the Music Publishers' Association is stepping up to launch the next phase in the music industry's battle against online music. The MPA is demanding jail time for the maintainers of websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics. The MPA President has stated that closing websites and imposing fines is not enough, stating that by 'throw [ing]in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective' in its crusade."
Just a matter of time before we will be driven underground in order to listen to good songs.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Dude....this came from the onion
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The article about the RIAA banning telling friends about songs is from The Onion, but they really are advocating prison sentences for people who post unlicensed lyrics or song scores.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

az_bont wrote:The article about the RIAA banning telling friends about songs is from The Onion, but they really are advocating prison sentences for people who post unlicensed lyrics or song scores.

So... pretty much any guitar tab site?
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I wish there was a way for good artists to make money without being involved in all this mess.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

404NotFound wrote:
az_bont wrote:The article about the RIAA banning telling friends about songs is from The Onion, but they really are advocating prison sentences for people who post unlicensed lyrics or song scores.

So... pretty much any guitar tab site?
Yep.
It's thinking...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

They tried to hunt down guitar tab sites a few years ago. This is apparently why a lot of major sites will now only show the first word of a line in a song, followed by some dashes.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I think they shut down a site caled pearLabs a while ago. Hopefully this doesn't spread, because it may even reach into midi's if the RIAA get's paranoid enough. And then what will we have?
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

This is stupid. Do they think the artists really care if people learn how to play their songs on guitar? Or know the words to them for that matter?

Sheesh.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

TyBO wrote:This is stupid. Do they think the artists really care if people learn how to play their songs on guitar? Or know the words to them for that matter?

Sheesh.
I'm sure some do.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I guess most bands fear that if you figure out the lyrics and the guitar tabs, you will realize that every single song they write is the same.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

That and one of the only reasons I used to buy cds was for the lyrics inserts. When cds didn't have lyrics, I'd get so pissed off.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

I think this is bullsh!t. I've been using tabs for years, in particular bass tabs. I can see how the lyrics may be a breach of copyright, but I don't think tabs are, unless they are directly pulled from a magazine or something. Tabs are just someone's perception of how a song is played. Besides tabs aren't sold or anything.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Wow. That's really hardcore.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

...I'm just waiting for this to all really backfire on them. ...I'm surprised it hasn't yet
this is my signature
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Syd wrote:Besides tabs aren't sold or anything.
Of course they are.

For example, Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Slipknot, Norah Jones, The Offspring, just to name a few artists of different genres.
It's thinking...
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Anyone remember the Pepsi/iTunes Anti-RIAA Commercial?

It first aired during the 2004 Superbowl, but word got 'round and this stirred up quite a crowd of enthusiasts days before it aired. Even though the message isn't 100% "go to hell, RIAA," it suffices quite well.

Video. :lol:
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

|darc| wrote:
Syd wrote:Besides tabs aren't sold or anything.
Of course they are.

For example, Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Slipknot, Norah Jones, The Offspring, just to name a few artists of different genres.
True, but I was referring to the tabs that you can find on sites such as tabcrawler or the bass tab archive. :)

To me, making homemade tabs illegal is the same as making everything on GameFAQs illegal as well. I mean strategy guides are sold in stores as well. :?
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Invizix wrote:Anyone remember the Pepsi/iTunes Anti-RIAA Commercial?

It first aired during the 2004 Superbowl, but word got 'round and this stirred up quite a crowd of enthusiasts days before it aired. Even though the message isn't 100% "go to hell, RIAA," it suffices quite well.

Video. :lol:
I don't think it's Anti-RIAA at all. Up until recently, Apple only let major labels (which are affiliated/protected by the RIAA) have music available on the iTunes Music Store. So, really, it's not Anti-RIAA at all, it's just pushing legal music downloads.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Xylene wrote:I don't think it's Anti-RIAA at all.
iTunes isn't really, but that commercial is.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer