NesterDC SE - All is ready

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

NesterDC SE - All is ready

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

OK. Everything should be set up correctly and ready to automatically switch at 12AM CDT. I'm about to go out actually, believe it or not. If I come back and something went horribly wrong then I'll fix it.

I just wanna say that I am aware that this isn't perfect, but tonight is the night I chose to release it and I'm not missing this date. While it isn't perfect I honestly think it's darn cool. I put a lot of work into it. I will probably put a little bit more work into it in the near future.

Well, enjoy. I'm about to go play some pool. 2 Hours 58 Minutes 47 Seconds left. See ya!
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by 404NotFound »

Later! I don't have my DC with me, so sadly I can't test it for another week or so :(

You deserve a good round of pool.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I'll be waiting. :)
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

One Hour!
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

41 minutes.. ill download and burn tommorow though its getting late.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

don't mock, but will this work on 98SE ? :?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

mikozero wrote:don't mock, but will this work on 98SE ? :?
I have no idea. Try and find out.
Kader
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kader »

Amazing...simply amazing. I can't even insult this by calling it 'software' or an 'emulator' as it is a work of art plain and simple.

The download/build process will take some time if you have a decent number of roms. I went and ahead and downloaded everything and boy was it worth it. (boxes, carts, title screens and so forth)

It is just SO much different than what we are used to in terms of what NESter DC was and what it could do. The way you select games, the NSF player, the lists, the graphics...everything is just beautiful. I'm not kissing ass here it just blew me away. I was wondering what could possibly be SO time consuming that it would take this long and now I know. (boy was it worth the wait)

The emulation is wonderful as everyone would expect. I've been adding favorites so far and have only tested a handful but if there is anything you'd like people to play around with please let us know.

I just honestly don't know what else to say other than; it was worth the wait, it's wonderful, if you aren't trying it out then you are insane, and it could possibly be the best thing to happen to the DC homebrew/emu scene EVER! |/|

EDIT: A couple questions:
1) If you stop the build process will it resume? As in can I make one image, add some stuff, start a build again, and have it only download the extras for the newly added roms.

2) I was wondering about how the rom identification process works exactly. Do roms need to be propberly named with something like GoodNES or does it read names/headers and go from there?

3) How much space, would you estimate, all of the extras take for each game? (perhaps people can limit their downloads to just box art and say genie codes to pack on more roms is my thinking)
Last edited by Kader on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

good job, now we can have fun and help you with any problems.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

now I cant do it. I dont want to give you access to my c drive. You work for the govt. im not paranoid.....who is that at my window? Is that you govt?

Nice job scherzo.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

Does the cdbuilder also support subdirectories ? I have my roms split up in 4 or 5 subfolders. Or does the builder only support 1 single directory ?

Great work Scherzo :)
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

the README says no subdirectories
Kader
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kader »

Dutchdude wrote:Does the cdbuilder also support subdirectories ? I have my roms split up in 4 or 5 subfolders. Or does the builder only support 1 single directory ?

Great work Scherzo :)
"1. Locate your ROMs folder. Your ROMs must not be in
subdirectories of the folder you choose. Only ROMs in
that folder itself will be scanned. Your ROMs may be
zipped or unzipped. The CD builder will automatically zip
your uncompressed ROMs for you."

I'd like this feature as well but I'm guessing it is done as a single directory because of how it indexes the games/art/nsf/so on. Perhaps something along the lines of having subdirectories create their own lists would work but I'm guessing it wouldn't transfer over to the game indexing properly in its current state. (since images are numbered rather than named as far as I can tell...may have just answered my own question about build resuming there lol)
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

kader, your account is the oldest "newbie" I have ever seen. :o

1 post since 2001? You remember passwerds goood
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Kader wrote:1) If you stop the build process will it resume? As in can I make one image, add some stuff, start a build again, and have it only download the extras for the newly added roms.
Yes, if you stop the build process or if you just decide to build another disc, the second time around will take much less time because it checks what's been downloaded first before getting it from the website.
Kader wrote:2) I was wondering about how the rom identification process works exactly. Do roms need to be propberly named with something like GoodNES or does it read names/headers and go from there?
The CD builder uses the ROM's CRC to identify it. This is the exact same method GoodNES uses. So there's no need to rename your ROMs.

I did, however, realize a little bug in the alphabetizing of the ROMs. The selector in the emu will display them in the order in which they originally were in the directory. So if you had a ROM name "00001 - Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link", it would show up first in the emu, even though it would be named correctly. Basically I need to sort the DB entries at the end of the process.
Kader wrote:3) How much space, would you estimate, all of the extras take for each game? (perhaps people can limit their downloads to just box art and say genie codes to pack on more roms is my thinking)
Oh, I dunno... I never figured out how much the extras for one single game takes up. I'll look into that.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Scherzo, first of all, thank you so much for all your work on this project

:kiss) On behalf of the DC fans over at NGemu :mrgreen:

I've got this baby up and running without any problems, thank heavens for the readme, it helped me out with all of my questions.

There are some things that came up when I was testing the emulator/program.

If you are planning to implement more features, perhaps these adjustments might be a nice idea:

* Having the option of limiting the amount of loops a NSF file does, so that it will continue to the next song after the current one has been played a number of times.

* I am having problems with the NSF files of Bomberman 2, everything becomes very choppy, kinda like if the DC isn't able to handle them. If I am the only one please don't bother, but I was wondering if someone else is having the same problems.

Consider these just some minor things, because when I look at the rest of the emulator, it is GREAT :D
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

* Having the option of limiting the amount of loops a NSF file does, so that it will continue to the next song after the current one has been played a number of times.
Yes, I've thought of this and I'll probably do it in the future. I would definitely make ita configurable option since sometimes I like to listen to a certain track forever. Right now though, it will automatically advance if there's silence for a couple seconds. Work nice for Game Over tracks and sound effects.
I am having problems with the NSF files of Bomberman 2, everything becomes very choppy, kinda like if the DC isn't able to handle them. If I am the only one please don't bother, but I was wondering if someone else is having the same problems.
I realize that some NSFs are bunk. Most of these NSFs came from a very large archive I found on a p2p network. I didn't get a chance to verify them all.
Last edited by Strapping Scherzo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Downloaded and currently building.

THANK YOU!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Some more testing made me find out that Flight of the Intruder still has its bugs. The bottom half of the screen where the info about the radar and everything is displayed isn't working properly, so I have to fly without radar :(

I tried the same rom on FCE Ultra for Windows and it is working perfectly.

Btw, I like your idea about the NSF player, it's kinda what I had in mind as well, thanks :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I made an image with 879 Roms with all the extras, excluding only the Instruction manual and the CDI is 155Mb... had a lot of Japanese roms though (theres on cover and cartridge scans for those).