New, free CD burning app for OSX

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New, free CD burning app for OSX

Post by Stormwatch »

LiquidCD

From a quick glance, seems to be pretty feature-complete. I guess some people here might be interested...
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Just had a quick look. Seems OK but I think I'll stick with Toast.

I have a lot of data CDs with my work on but they have numerous sessions on each CD. Anyone know of a burning app that will duplicate these as toast will only copy the 1st session on each CD.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Hard to believe Toast still can't handle multi-session copies... try Dragon Burn and FireStarter FX.
. . whispered
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Worth a look I guess... the ability now for Toast to span multiple CD/DVD for backups is a plus in it's favor though. Roxio also has been more generous in the past about updates than Retrospect (I grew tired of that program).
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Something strange about Toast 7: supposedly it needs a G4... but a minor hack makes it run on a G3 just fine. Why would a company try to reduce their potential userbase on purpose? :?
. . whispered
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

Sounds silly if you ask me. Maybe it's for the more intensive stuff like creating DVD's.

I've not seen 7 yet and still use 5 more than 6 at the moment. Does toast 7 have anything new?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

One of the big new features of Toast 7 is the ability to do backups and span them across CDs or DVDs. Spanning wasn't a feature before. Each disc has a little app placed on it to rejoin all of the discs if you need to do a restore of your data. The files on each disc can be grabbed in the Finder, so there isn't a need to go through any special extraction process just to restore one or two files. I had grown tired of Retrospect and Dantz's upgrade policies.

Also, Popcorn is integrated into the application. I beleive altivec gets used for processing and compressing data for video DVDs.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

As this app is under developement and seems to be improving quickly, I've been wondering... are there features that its creator could add to make it a more ideal app for burning Dreamcast emulators and homebrews? If so, people here should contact him and suggest it.
. . whispered
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

*bump*

Well, I looked into this LiquidCD program, and it seems pretty neat. It also knows how to handle CDI files. Unfortunately, all the Dreamcast discs it makes for me are coasters...perhaps it's a DAO/TAO issue? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to set those kinds of burning options. Is there a way to set this for one or the other?