Makaqu 1.5.1

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Hi there.
I just wanted to say that it's fantastic to see this released. Well done to those involved for their hard work, and thanks for putting the time in to make sure this saw the light of day. I'll be playing about with this soon and really look forward to it. I see Quake as one of the strongest elements in keeping the dreamcast alive, and so another fully featured engine is great to see.
Again, well done, and thanks.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LyingWake »

What are the chances of getting 3D accleration working?
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I'm happy to see this.
Looks like I have a good reason to hook my DC back up!

Does the current TAoV work with this?
I know the last version I tried was reported to have problems with RADQuake and it didnt work with QuakeX either...
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

The latest release has been compiled with VERY optimized flags, it breaks on loading the progs every time on Dreamcast and I guess XBox too! (I don't own an XBox, so I can't test it), which is weird cause it works fine on PC.

Soon enough a new version will be released with a lot of improvements over the last, and it loads up on Dreamcast since I'm no longer using optmizations.

So no, the current TAoV version will most likely NOT work with nxMakaqu, but the next release (very soon) will.
Last edited by Tyne on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

User "dreammatrix" from DreamPower brazilian forum has come up with this little results with NxMakaqu.
I think it's not quite acurate as Fragger himself said Codename: Envenom doesn't works for him.
Also, i'm not sure about mod names, as i don't know some of them.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
works = the mod loads fine and works flawlessly
freezes = the mod loads, works in 1 or 2 levels and freezes (lack of memory?)
doesn't load = the mod doesn't even loads

Beyond Belief works
Insomia freezes
Oum freezes
Soul of Evil works
Navy Seal works
Prydon Gate works
Quake vs Duke works
Quake Rally works
Raptors works
Special Forces works
Starchip Troopers works
Lunkin's Jurney doesn't load
007 works
Twisted Xmas doesn't load
Afther Schock works
Aliens works
Buldog Stadium freezes
Codename: Evenom works *
Team Fortress works
q1arena freezes
Malice doesn't load
Matrix doesn't load
X-Men doesn't load
Star Wars demo doesn't load
Soldier of Fortune works

EDIT:
Following dreammatrix, Codename: Envenom freezes in start.bsp, so typing in console "map ship1" makes it work.
He also added these:
The Ascession of Vigil doesn't load (as stated by Tyne)
Target Quake doesn't load

He also asks if there's another resolution besides 640x480 (a bit slow) and 320x240 (blocky and ugly).
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Wow what a great release! Fantastic release! The speed is amazing I just cant believe it. The FPS counter seems not to work correctly because it only shows 7-10fps while the game runs SMOOTHLY.

Thanks Fragger and BlackAura for this port!
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
wexler
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by wexler »

hi.i dunno why but i cant get this to run.at all.my layout includes ip.bin,nxmakaqu.bin,a folder named quake,a folder inside that containing autoexec.cfg,nxmakaqu.cfg,pak10 and my retail quake paks.i create a self booting image with dssbs and burn with nero.please help me as i am useless.
- cheers, wexler.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Rename "nxmakaqu_scrambled.bin" to "1st_read.bin" before selfbooting it.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Someone test the latest TAoV on DC now :)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Does nxMakaqu suports skyboxes? PCX, PNG, what?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

First, what's missing in this engine:
- The "pause" function in the CD player menu doesn't work properly. It's easy to fix.
- I don't know yet how to detect the audio tracks on the disc, so I've fixed the amount of audio tracks to 99.
- I don't know how to change the volume of the CD audio yet.
- I don't know how to switch the CD audio between stereo/mono. Maybe changing the BIOS setting for it? I wouldn't like to do it that way.
- VMU files are uncompressed. Compressing them would help greatly the savestates and config files.
- No jump pack support yet. I guess it should be easy to add.
- No split-screen. It's simply impossible to get split-screen running at an acceptable speed with the software renderer.
- No network play. I don't know how to add it.
- No hardware acceleration (see below reply to LyingWake).
LyingWake wrote:What are the chances of getting 3D accleration working?
Small. The hardware renderer wasn't updated to be compatible with the rest of the engine, and I've never worked with hardware acceleration before. I guess it would take about a year of hard work to get everything working right, but I'll have less free time in 2006.
LyingWake wrote:how do you get out of zoom view once you're in it?
Press the zoom button again. You also need Makaqu's PAK10.PAK file in the ID1 dir.
Matisfaction wrote:I can rip the Pak files from the mac versions of quake right?
Yup. I've read the Mac version got some "graphical improvements", but I don't know if these improvements were made in the engine and/or in the data files.
Moi wrote:- The speed is amazing I just cant believe it. The FPS counter seems not to work correctly because it only shows 7-10fps while the game runs SMOOTHLY.
The FPS counter is correct. On normal Quake I get from 6 FPS (big open areas, such as some of the episode 4 maps) to over 20 FPS (in small empty places). This engine is smoother than the others, but it's not faster.
DCmad wrote:Does nxMakaqu suports skyboxes? PCX, PNG, what?
PCX. There's a good explanation in the readme.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

To have rumble support would be nice :D

Let me thank you again for this release ! Can't wait for a new update :)
Insane homebrew collector.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

When I try to use Makaqu on my DC, it keeps giving me an error whatever game I select on the list, because it claims "/cd/quake/id1/pak0.pak" to not be a valid PAK file. WTF? It hasn't been modified or replaced in anyway, it still has the 1996 date stamp and everything.

This makes me sad :( I don't know how to work it out considering the error doesn't even make any sense. Any suggestions?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Maybe the pak0.pak file is outdated, but I never knew about any compatibility issues between newer engines and older versions of the pak0.pak file.

Anyway, try downloading the Quake shareware version 1.6 from id Software's website and use the pak0.pak file included in it. It should work.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I've started working on it again.

Done:
- Fixed the "pause" function in the CD player menu.
- You can change the volume of the CD audio.
- The CD audio can be changed between stereo/mono, and the stereo can be reversed.
- Compressed VMU files. Most config files takes only 4 blocks now (TAoV's config file takes only 3), and savestates are greatly reduced.
- Reduced the sound quality from 22 KHz to 11 KHz. This fixed Codename: Envenom. I'll add a way to select the sound quality before starting the game.
- Jump pack support, unfinished.
- Tried to get the hardware renderer working, without success.

To do:
- I don't know yet how to detect the audio tracks on the disc, so I've fixed the amount of audio tracks to 99.
- Finishing the jump pack support. I'm still tweaking the effects for when you fire the weapons, and then I'll add vibration for when you get hurt, and finally I'll add a SVC message which will allow you to generate vibrations from the QC code.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Downloads will be up, or they already are?
So i assume the latest TAoV works in nxMakaqu. Its good to know?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Another update:
- Jump Pack support complete, including QC support. My Jump Pack isn't official, so the default effects may be a bit weird.
- Fixed the mouse button names, added support for the mouse button 3 (the side button) and the mouse wheel.
- Included support for the file /quake/gamedir/nxmakaqu.ini. This file can be used to set the title and description of the game in the modlist, as well as the sound samplerate, the video resolution, the heapsize, and extra command line parameters.
- The Thunderbolt's beam moves and rotates together with the player now.
- Included an improved progs.dat containing all bugfixes from JoyMenu, as well as a few improvements and new special effects. No bots, menu system, and JoyMenu's deathmatch features are included, but the source will be available.
- Added one or two interesting features which will be revealed on the release.
- There's a few more changes to be done in the engine. After this, I'll work on merging the QuakeX source into it.
DCmad wrote:Downloads will be up, or they already are?
The version 1.1 isn't ready yet.
DCmad wrote:So i assume the latest TAoV works in nxMakaqu.
I guess so.
DCmad wrote:Its good to know?
N?o entendi =P.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Looks good Fragger.
Included support for the file /quake/gamedir/nxmakaqu.ini. This file can be used to set the title and description of the game in the modlist, as well as the sound samplerate, the video resolution, the heapsize, and extra command line parameters.
I was thinking about a similar thing recently... It'd be cool to have all those extra options at our disposal.

but... :
After this, I'll work on merging the QuakeX source into it
does this mean you plan to make QuakeX compileable from the same basic source or are you going to be merging the changes into the QuakeX source?

Something I just discovered earlier today with the QuakeX source... Something in the Host_Shutdown () is broken. If you look it launches a new .xbe in sys_quit () after it calls Host_Shutdown () but somewhere before that happens Sys_Error () gets called instead. Its not overly important but effects my current project. (Working on regaining my C skills and Quake knowledge by a dumb little engine mod before doing anything important) I'll let you know if I figure out what is happening.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Fragger wrote:
DCmad wrote:Its good to know?
N?o entendi =P.
Oh my, you can't let go a accidental interrogation? =]
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

TheDumbAss wrote:does this mean you plan to make QuakeX compileable from the same basic source or are you going to be merging the changes into the QuakeX source?
Same basic source, like I did with nxQuake. There's a ton of changes in Makaqu, so it would be an insane work to port everything to other engines.
TheDumbAss wrote:with the QuakeX source... Something in the Host_Shutdown () is broken. If you look it launches a new .xbe in sys_quit () after it calls Host_Shutdown () but somewhere before that happens Sys_Error () gets called instead.
Seems to be a problem somewhere in the shutting down proccess. I guess a quick way to get it working would be to load the new binary without shutting down the engine. However, depending on how the XBox launches the new binary, you can end up with a memory leak.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==