Post Xbox 360 launch experiences and early observations

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by arrowhead »

It is an investment until dec. 25 is what I meant. Over the life of the machine you are better off waiting until xbox 420 is getting ready to come out.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

XPoGoX wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:From what I have read, there are a lot of features missing in the 360 version of madden (though only ones if you are really into the sim aspects).
http://www.gameguru.com/gwj/madden06.wmv
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
What point are you trying to make with that? How does that demonstrate missing in-game features that are present in the versions for the older consoles?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I dont see how people who buy up 360s then sell them at a higher prices are "vultures". Its pretty much the way the entire world works.

If some idiot wants to spend $1,000 on a 360 that was only bought for $300 or whatever, then that is there problem, and the person selling it is quite clearly only taking advantage of a dumbass.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I'm not a madden fan at all, but I do know that the engine was created from scratch for the new generation of games so you can't expect all the features to be ready to go. Next year should be right back to where it was.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Ok...I still haven't played my 360 games yet as I fell asleep fast last night...and now I'm back at work. But I did use the system and it was pretty nice. Xbox Live transfer was easy. I played Hexic HD, the game that came on the hard drive and got my first achievement, so I have 5 gamer points or whatever. Hexic HD felt a lot like Tetris Attack, except triangular groups of 3 hexagons instead of square groups of 4 blocks. The downloads and stuff were pretty neat. There was a Red vs. Blue special episode, lots of game trailers, and one playable demo of NBA 2k6 (almost 500MB!), all free. There was a bunch of custom skins and avatars available, including some Penny-Arcade ones, but they all cost marketplace points. Most were like 20 to 200 points (1600 points sells for $19.99 in stores). I was pretty impressed by the interface, its much better than the original Xbox and still very simple. Thats about where I passed out last night :wink:

And Toastman, rich people need Xbox 360s too! Especially premium ones with the silver trim instead of the non shiny Core. Who are we to deny their right to throw money away, they do it all the time :lol: . I'd be saving some rich kid's christmas! I hope to get my second 360 next week from my original preorder and sell it on ebay for a nice profit..unless one of my coworkers guilts me into selling it to him at normal price since he waited at Walmart for like 7 hours and didn't get one. Hopefully he'll find one before then though..
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

One thing I noticed about Madden on Xbox 360 is it DOES contain slowdown, for no reason. EA seems to have kinda skipped on the PowerPC optimizations.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I was just playing around in marketplace. It seemed pretty cool but I doubt I will be spending money on custom skins and stuff. Maybe the classic games like gauntlet. It would be cool if you could win them somehow.

I thought the Red vs. Blue episode was pretty lame. It was just an advertisment for what the new Xbox Live can do. It would be nice if you could download a free episode and if you like it buy the season.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I'll get one when Elder Scrolls 4 is released but probably not before then. I still have plenty games to play on my Xbox and my Gamecube.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Jsgongwon, one of our forum members, reported that his newly bought Xbox 360 keeps crashing while playing Project Gotham Racing 3 in single player mode.
He's playing with the default settings, and apparently his Xbox crashes even before the end of the first lap. Crashes on Xbox Live and on startup occur too. He included screenshots of the crashed Xbox 360 (see below - more pictures on flickr.com) and a video of the crash here(9MB) (mirror: here(2MB XviD))
A quick look on our forums (more, more and more) seems to indicate he's not the only one. Several of our members seems to get crashing 360s. It doesn't seem to be related to a specific game, as we get reports of the Xbox 360 crashing with several games. And it's not all the same Error-number either (E79, E74, E64, real crashes, ...).
I quickly checked over at TeamXbox and they also have a large thread and poll about defective Xbox 360s.
It's a bit early to guess what's exactly going on here (software, hardware, heat problem, 'user errors', ...) or how big the issue really is. We'll report back when we have more. If you have issues with your Xbox 360 too, report it!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Tall Israeli wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
Invizix wrote:Actually BoneyCork, the next-gen consoles are extremely powerful, more so than anything we we currently have.

Example is Call of Duty 2. The first image is from the Xbox version
Since when has the Xbox been able to display 1280x960? Not only that, but the Xbox version runs in a higher resolution than the super spangly high-definition Xbox 360 version (which only manages 1280x720)? I don't think so.

The top screenshot is obviously NOT an in-game shot of the Xbox version.

Aside from that... how is that an amazing demonstration of how amazingly fantastic the Xbox 360 is? I see slightly higher polygon models (and not by much), slightly higher resolution textures (again, not by much), a dodgy-looking bloom filter, and the addition of normal maps and gloss maps.

Other than that, it's the same as before. Dodgy looking static lightmaps. Dodgy looking low-res shadow maps with no apparent self-shadowing. Textures that aren't sufficiently high-resolution to prevent them from looking blurry at that resolution. Noticable aliasing on polygon edges (what happened to "the end of jaggies"?). Occasional clumps of trees or grass or bits of fence that still look like cardboard cut outs. Absolutely no usage of normal mapping, or even bump mapping, on any world surface, making everything look flat an lifeless. No anisotropic filtering, so you have a horrible blurry look when looking at a texture close to side-on (see the side of those buildings).

It just looks like a slightly shinier Xbox game to me. And the PC version looks exactly the same.

BoneyCork is pretty much right. There's a graphics update (and not a particularly impressive one in my opinion), but what else is there? There aren't any amazing, totally new games that you can only play with an Xbox 360. In fact, of the launch games, only Amped 3, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, and Project Gotham Racing 3 are not already available for another system.
Not to mention COD2 never came out on the Xbox.
Yes it did
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

abydos1000 wrote:
XPoGoX wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:From what I have read, there are a lot of features missing in the 360 version of madden (though only ones if you are really into the sim aspects).
What point are you trying to make with that? How does that demonstrate missing in-game features that are present in the versions for the older consoles?
Diving through other players?.....I think that is a major in game feature...called hmmm...blocking?.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

XPoGoX wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:
XPoGoX wrote:
Diving through other players?.....I think that is a major in game feature...called hmmm...blocking?.
Actually it's called collision detection. :P :lol:
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Tall Israeli wrote:Not to mention COD2 never came out on the Xbox.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One is out on all 3 systems; Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox.

The Xbox 360 version is essentially a PC port; albeit cross-platform.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

@Blackaura

Those screenshots were from IGN. Most of their console screenies are pretty big, compared to what the consoles can actually produce. :)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

That Madden video looks like a real football clip until that crap happens.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

How dare you correct me Invizix!!....and then after that reply 2 more times!...hang your head in shame.
btw:Im still right! :P
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

You guys *do* know that nvidia released a 512 mb vid card recently, right? You guys *do* know that it runs in SLI right? Dual-processor PCs are only a step away, and with technology like that, I'll hafta say...

R.I.P. next-gen consoles.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

PC's are a lot better than the current xbox, and it's doing fine. I think some people will stick with their PC's, some will use consoles. It's all a matter of preference really.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

XPoGoX wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:
XPoGoX wrote:
Ha! I didn't catch that when I first saw it. Kind of funny. Bet the real NFL teams would pay big bucks for players that can just walk through other players (out of phase).

I've seen that little problem with the other consoles too, though less obvious (ie, and arm going through another player, etc).
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

F8 wrote:You guys *do* know that nvidia released a 512 mb vid card recently, right? You guys *do* know that it runs in SLI right? Dual-processor PCs are only a step away, and with technology like that, I'll hafta say...

R.I.P. next-gen consoles.
Dual processor PC's are nothing new. Just no one wants to be bothered to program for them since the gains of adding a processor isn't worth the overhead.
No signature.