Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Hard Edition Released!

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Hard Edition Released!

Post by kungpow12345 »

Name: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Hard Edition
Modder: Kungpow12345
Engine: Regular BoR
Download here!

Synopsis: Usagi Tsukino, an ordinary school girl is giving a special brooch that she uses to transform into the Champion of Justice, Sailor Moon. She's also joined by her four friends who are also sailor senshi (japanese for soldier), Rei Hino as Sailor Mars, Minako Aino as Sailor Venus, Ami Mizuno as Sailor Mercury and Makoto Kino as Sailor Jupiter. In this installment of the game, the sailor senshi are fighting against Queen Beryl and the Dark Kingdom. Equipped with the trademark moves from the show and the japanese actresses' voices, this game will start the "Millenium Revival" anew on the gaming side of the spectrum.

Image Image
Image Image

Download here!

Also...an updated version of this game, Sailor Moon Plus will be compiled with Borhed, pronounced "Bored" and will be a Dreamcast exclusive. This version will feature new breakables, new cinematics and a new voice cast! Eventually, I'll be joining the cast as Mamoru Chiba also known as Tuxedo Kamen (Mask) or as Prince Endymion later in Sailor Moon R. My friend, "D Mac Double" will be my stand-in since Mamoru's part was small in this game.
Last edited by kungpow12345 on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Very nice! Can't wait )()(

Too bad it's regular BoR but at least that means it'll run on the other platforms too. Great that there will be a special Dreamcast update later on :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

And I can't wait for Sailormoon+ :lol: Also can't wait to see how you do as Mamoru Chiba / Tuxedo Kamen as I've done some voicework for a SailorStars fandub as him in the past. (very small part, basically him giving Usagi an engagement ring and then "dying" on an airplane, and I only did it because I lost a coin toss) Also as Seiya Kou / Sailor Starfighter (which I call for the [eventual] Sailorstars mod). :lol:

Saaailor StttaaaaAAAAAArrrFiiiiiIIiiiitteerr... staaaaage ON!
...controller hasn't killed me yet.
Xenox
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Xenox »

:D SWEET!!! I am aways wanting to try some new mods (new games) :lol: cheers to kunpow. Good to see 1 of ur sailor moon games done the Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (Remake). can't wait PEACE!!!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

It's Monday now, where the hell's the link?! :lol:

...Just kidding, hope you aren't out in an XBox360 line with the other fanboys. :roll:

...Just kidding still. :wink:
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

:lol: You rang? :mrgreen: Look up my moonie-in-arms.

I'm working on Sailor Moon Plus right now. Please allow 1 week for the conversion :wink: .
ch3zyp00fs
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ch3zyp00fs »

cool mod. Sometimes tho when I'm playing I cant move my character and I have to start over.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Yeah I just noticed that this morning. None of my code is wrong. does anyone know how to fix this anomaly?

Edit: The new versions are updated with the "bux fix." Enjoy! :D
ch3zyp00fs
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ch3zyp00fs »

Ok. Thanks. Is the new version now the current one avail. for dl?
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

To quote the bartender that was working at Andy Capp's Tavern the morning after the first Pong machine was installed... "the fucking game's broken." :lol:

Download link is broken, please fix it.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

To quote the second installment of a very popular film.

"Right on the tick.. amazing, absolutely amazing. Too bad the post office isn't as efficient as the weather service!"

Download file active again, all is right.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I'm sorry but this should be the last time i have to "bug fix" this release. It was a stupid typo that was making the game not load to the end of level 1...but i got it fixed so everything should be good. The Dreamcast version is ready as of now. ...now Sailor Moon Plus ^-^
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Looking great so far! I'm not feeling well so I haven't had a chance to sit down and really play it - tomorrow. Oh, your package was sent out today.

Also I've set up a thread for the mod over at Digital Press...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=849691
Christuserloeser

Will shortly burn it :)
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Alright, I've spent about three hours with the mod now and I have some issues I'd like to bring up before I call it a night. (don't worry, nothing heavy)

Over all the game is great, it's an excellent step in the right direction of Sailormoon BoR mods. The control feels accurate to the original games, everything is nicely detailed and assembled, it all works nicely. Presentation is top notch. However now the issues which I hope will be addressed in SM+...

First the audio mix right out of the box is horrible. I don't mean the clips themselves, those are fine. I meant the music volume in relation to the sound effects volume. The music is BLASTING and the sound effects are a whisper. Sure it can be adjusted but it's a pain and the sound effects have to be turned WAY up right now. Please do some balance testing before releasing SM+ as the audio (both voices and normal effects) should crisply resonate out from the background music, after all - that's why it's "background" music. Just a tweak of the default sound levels at the start.

Next, the amount of powerups is far too scarce and they yield far too little value for how scarce they are. This makes the game WAY too difficult (I know there should be challenge there), I consider myself a good beat-em-up player and I was only able to make it JUST to the beginning of stage 3. The hardcore beat-em-up player will be able to slowly progress but those who maybe aren't all that heavy into video games that want to give this a try will more than likely have their ass handed to them in the first 5 minutes and quit playing. Don't change a thing with the spawning, don't change a thing with the amount of enemies on screen, don't change a thing in relation to enemy health, that's all fine - it's challenging and that's GREAT. However boost the values of some of the health powerups and sprinkle a few more of them around.

You need a LOT more credits, at least 9. Again, because of the reasons mentioned above. I'm sure you'd want the largest audence possible to be able to enjoy these Sailormoon games and that wouldn't happen with the low amount of credits as it is now. Don't get me wrong, if this was in the arcade I'd WANT to feed more quaters into the machine, it's not like I'm saying "screw this." I'm saying "damnit, cheap shot, I want to keep going!" Which is a sign that the game is a lot of fun to play. Honestly I'd like to see you do something insane and toss in like 20 credits if possible. Also have some 1up's around. (I know this is the remake and you're trying to be authentic, just letting you know things to implement in the SM+ release and so forth) I know that Destiny Revival is going to be a huge game, and I also know that you want people to be able to enjoy it - all types of people from hardcore gamers to moonies that may have never played video games really.

I will say that the difficulty is right where it should be, you have to be cautious and pick and choose your attacks and enemies. There's just not enough powerups and credits to keep things balanced and fair for a console game. If it was in the arcade, again, you'd just be able to keep feeding quaters into the machine. If those issues are addressed and amended in SM+ then you'd have an excellent game with a very nice learning curve.

You don't want this to turn into Pulstar (Neo-Geo shooter) where the game is so incredible to behold and so well designed - yet it's so freaking insanely difficult due to lack of health powerups and continues that it's impossible for anyone but the most dedicated to be able to play it. :lol:

They're just balance issues. Again, these are recomondations for SM+ and subsequent SM mods, which you may have already addressed by now. As this current mod stands I'd just leave it alone - leave it as one of the hardest kick-you-in-the-ass mods to be released. :lol: But with all the work doing into SM+, SMR(R), SMR+, and Destiny Revival - now is the time to nip these descrepencies in the bud.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing your work, because I'm simply not doing so. I am VERY impressed with the design of this mod, it just needs a little fine tuning that I'm sure will greatly benefit the forthcoming Sailormoon games. :D I'm just trying to keep the games accessible to all yet maintain challenge. The challenge will be there, just give people more of a chance to take it on. :wink:
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I've read all of your comments and suggestions for the SM+ conversation and a lot of what you mentioned, I didn't even consider... :lol:

I made the item spawns exactly like the original SM game so I guess that's where the original "failed" as well since people were saying how difficult it was before, until I found many good efficient ways to beat it.

I'm pretty sure when I add the magic meter and also the projectile attacks, using your life meter "much" will be a thing of the past.

Plus, I can add in more credits to the level sets considering that this is a bit harder than the original. Beatable, yet harder. :D

:P I guess it shows what a fan can do to a game like this.

with all said...I'm going to try very hard to make the improvements that you mentioned. I'm going to say right now that my skills of doing audio mixes are terrible, even for my standards but I know in BoR, you can change the audio settings. I guess I have to record the audio softer and the sound effects turn them up in volume.

You would think in our ports we would turn down the music track by default >.< since most games are like that now.
Christuserloeser

I'll have a look in mastering the voices/fx. Shouldn't be a prob with the existing files. If you could provide me with 22KHz or even 44KHz stuff it would be even better...

I've played it and yeah, the sound volume is the main issue, everything else looks very good! Nice job ! :D

Btw, what's with the music ? It's 11KHz right ? I think 22Khz should be the minimum to do your work justice! :wink:

Edit: Found another small thing that'd deserve to be fixed in your next update: Sailor Moon's walk animation seems to have some delay that's not 'perfect' :wink:
Xenox
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Xenox »

I've just play this mod and I just want to say it a great mod just that it has ups & downs. the freespecial is not that effective to use on enemies for som player like jupetur & their super is kinda slow so it gets canceled easily which makes it hard for some average player. dunno if u want to do this or not but for me I would make the super invincible instead of having a bbox u won't get trapped or get rought up by them bad guys. But still its a great mod i just want to enjoy the game alittle more, think of it as summer and a pleasent evening with a cool ice lemonad drink. I would tweak this a little for myself but maybe on a thanksgiving day. :P
okay nuff say PEACE!!
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shinto »

I like This game! this is good stuff! Grade A Stuff!
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Christuserloeser wrote:I'll have a look in mastering the voices/fx. Shouldn't be a prob with the existing files. If you could provide me with 22KHz or even 44KHz stuff it would be even better...

Btw, what's with the music ? It's 11KHz right ? I think 22Khz should be the minimum to do your work justice! :wink:
Actually once you adjust the volume levels the sound is nearly spot on with the Super Famicom original Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon. (I was going back and forth between them today - the actual cart on a Super Famicom, not a ROM - buttons 3 and 4 on my AV switcher were getting a workout :lol:)
Xenox wrote:I've just play this mod and I just want to say it a great mod just that it has ups & downs. the freespecial is not that effective to use on enemies for som player like jupetur & their super is kinda slow so it gets canceled easily which makes it hard for some average player.
Again, that's all pretty accurate to the original, the special attacks did require you to break away and get some distance before performing them cleanly. Some of the attack speeds (ie Jupiter's special being slow and Venus' special being fast) are accurate as to the stats of the characters. I always use the Donatello / Jupiter comparison in that Don was the strongest turtle in many of the games, but was also slightly slower - same thing with most SM games.

Again, very nice work, releasing this mod is an excellent way to work out any SM BoR growing pains before your more original SM BoR work hits. :)