NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JohnnyB »

I'll be able to make an .sbi with this emulator right? I love the ZIP support and non-stretched/filtered mode, every emulator should have that.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Nico0020 wrote:im a bit curious. with all the extras that will available with each game, about how many different NES games will it be possible to put on a 700MB disk. I know the full rom set is like what 1024 or something like that? obviously that would not be able to fit which i dont have much of a problem with. But do you have an estimate of about how many NES roms could be put with all the "goodies"?
Yes, I was wondering the same thing myself. I think the complete NES Romset is 10,785 files (that's including all US, Euro, and Japanese releases) which obviously wouldn't fit.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

This is excellent news, as the wait has been excruciating.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I've have made test discs with all goodies included using the entire collection of USA and World (region inspecific). So basically anything that had a chance of being released in the US. That's 893 games at about 550MB. I think that's pretty darn good. Keep this in mind, previous versions of NesterDC did not support zipped roms. NesterDC SE not only supports zipped roms, but the CD builder will zip your roms for you if they're not already zipped.

So 550 MB for all US commercial releases is where it stands. If you opt not to have any goodies at all, that number does certainly drop quite a bit. Just the roms for that same collection is 91 MB. So if you don't care about extra stuff, then you can probably could fit the whole NES collection on one CD, assuming you throw away things like OverDumps.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

JohnnyB wrote:I'll be able to make an .sbi with this emulator right? I love the ZIP support and non-stretched/filtered mode, every emulator should have that.
Sorry, but I don't think an SBI version like be likely. The structure of the CD really depends on everything being custom tailored to the user and the NesterDC SE CD builder ensures it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

TyBO wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:im a bit curious. with all the extras that will available with each game, about how many different NES games will it be possible to put on a 700MB disk. I know the full rom set is like what 1024 or something like that? obviously that would not be able to fit which i dont have much of a problem with. But do you have an estimate of about how many NES roms could be put with all the "goodies"?
Yes, I was wondering the same thing myself. I think the complete NES Romset is 10,785 files (that's including all US, Euro, and Japanese releases) which obviously wouldn't fit.
that also includes bad dumps, overdumps, and every version of each game. if you take that out and don't include each region release of each game the number drops significantly.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Quzar wrote:
TyBO wrote:
that also includes bad dumps, overdumps, and every version of each game. if you take that out and don't include each region release of each game the number drops significantly.
Ohhh... well that would explain why there are over 10,000 in the full set... I always thought that number was a bit high. ;)

I'm glad that the every US NES ROM will fit on one disc... those are the only ones I really care about, since I'm from the US. :)
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Zipped roms!!!! :D Cool. But one question. Is the number of roms per folder still 1024? or did you increase the number of roms per folder? :?
LacanZZ
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LacanZZ »

I'm new here, but this is awesome news, I hope it gets rid of the wierd controller problem from version 7.1b, where you have to plug in the controller in each port in order then put it back to port 1 in order to play the NES games. It didn't make sense to me why that happened. Also I wonder if there will be a analog controled crosshair for shooting games for people that don't have a dreamcast lightgun, like me. I don't want to push the release date back any further though.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I may have said this before... But here goes anyway.
If Bucanero decides to port the LZMA lib to KOS, NDCSE could support 7-Zipped roms! LZMA compression on maximum (8MB dictionary size, word size 64) uses only 10MB for decompression. (Ulra is out of the question, it uses 84MB for decompression) I compressed the 769KB US Kirby's Adventure to 406KB using LZMA, compared to the zip format's best compression ratio, which the zip turned out to be 473KB. Impelenting LZMA would help people squeeze in a lot more roms. However, an LZMA compressor would have to be built into the NDCSE CD builder, as some people would surely choose Utra compression if they did it themselves.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

NesterSE doesn't have 10mb to spare. The problem with lzma is that they would have to be 7z'd with specific parameters for the DC to be able to do anything at all with 'um. Just use 7z to make zips and it is still better at doing that than standard zipping programs.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
D-Roc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by D-Roc »

I always thought Romsets = WAREZ = Not allowed to talk about
Born to lose. Live to Win.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

D-Roc wrote:I always thought Romsets = WAREZ = Not allowed to talk about
I was refering to the NES Romset because it is the most complete collection of NES games in existence, not because I'm trying to promote piracy.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

We need to sticky this or something! I really can't wait. We just got a new high def tv so I'm really, really excited to play some nes!

I should mod another dreamcast controller and have a slew of nes/dreamcast setup. Scherzo, you're great! The anticipation's killing me!! That page is pretty snazzy too. :lol:
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

Yea I think its time for me to do another NES controller mod, I have the controllers but i just need the 9 pin adapter ... But Im really looking forward to this a whole lot.. I just hope Ill be out of where im at and can Use my Big TV instead of my parents old shyster one ive got now.. Scherzo gets many Thank you's!
LacanZZ
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LacanZZ »

I have a question, will NesterDC SE work with FDS/Famicom Disk System games?
rastaman33
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rastaman33 »

LacanZZ wrote:I have a question, will NesterDC SE work with FDS/Famicom Disk System games?
yes.
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

This emu looks pretty cool.
Maybe the best emu in DC overall.

Question:
Would the goodies include VMU icons per game suchs as those in Sega Smash Pack?
(Maybe sound stupid, but it would make the emu more 'pro' looking)

Can you add a 'distort' option to have the bad and ugly video and sound output of a real NES? :mrgreen:

I have no love for the crappy gray box, but I have to try this emu :D
atentamente a su ombligo:
el dr. apocalipsis Nil

Don't hesitate about correct my english :oops:
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Hey Scherzo, this has probably been asked before but will it have support for long filenames? I remember really having to screw around to get the long filenames in NesterDC 6.0/7.1, I had to burn the cd with rockridge support enabled. :?
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Long filenames is not an issue with NesterDC SE. You will see full and accurate game names.

VMU icons is a little low on my list of things to get done. If I have time, I might throw in a little something.