Why does everybody hate Playstation?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Why does everybody hate Playstation?

Post by Specially Cork »

Please tell me. There is a shocking amount of hate for all things Sony on this board, and I can't figure out what theyve done that make everybody hate them so much.

Thanks.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

B!eem for starters. 2nd of all people who claim the control pad is a thing of beauty. :puke: Their blatant BSing of hardware to make them sound better than they are. There's more but I can't be bothered. :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

my only personal problem with sony's stuff (and this isn't limited to playstations) is that it breaks in the blink of an eye. I've had a sony stereo, a personal cd-player and a playstation 1 break in the past... seeing as the only other sony hardware ive ever owned was a psone (that has been used a grand total of once) i'm not too impressed with the quality of thier stuff.
Oh and the playstation consoles have just about the lowest quality control it would seem on the software released for it. But maybe it's just the volume of PS software released.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Yeah i owned a PS2. If it wasn't for Winning Eleven & Smackdown HCTP i would have never bought one. I think i had about 20 odd PS2 games and played like three of them kinda regularly.

A few things that naffed me off:

You could hook up regular RCA video leads to the original PSONE. Then $ony changed the output on later models so that you had to buy PSONE only leads.

Most consoles now have 4 controller ports, But $ony stick with two so that they can fleece you on multitaps.

and another thing, Everyone is anti Sony here right? GameBoy micro gets so much crap for apparently being pointless, when it actually (like it or not) improves (mainly the screen) on the previous GBA and SP.

$ony brings out PSONE, $ony brings out PSTWO (no improvement on the original PS2, minus HD space) no one says peep :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

See this is interesting. I've never had any Sony products break on me...

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but it would explain why I dont hate them
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i think the other problem that a lot of gamers have with sony are that they're probably the biggest player in the introduction of style over substance gaming- cool factor over quality gaming.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

while i havent had any breakage yet, i dislike sony products for pretty much the same reasons stated above

- poor design and quality
- awefull controller (worst one i have played yet)
- uninteresting games for their machines (yeah you got that right, i dont care about MGS/GT/Tekken)
- constant BS about their specs, 2 Tflop my ass

im not a M$ fan by any acount, but i havent regretted my xbox ever, and i just cant bring myself to even considering a PS2, or PS3 for that matter
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

This is a long winded reply.

I had one PSone die on me, but that one was pre-owned. I still have an original model PS2 that hasn't given me a problem (other than the usual dust on the lens any system has). I've had other Sony products that have been fine, so from a hardware stand point with QC, I don't have much of a reason to hate them. I don't have major problems with the controllers, but my hands are on the small side, so having things close together like that doesn't bother me. To me, the original Xbox controller gave me problems (but the contoller S is a HUGE improvement).

As for hype, Sony poured it on thick with the PS2. I knew that when I bought mine; Most of my first year of ownership was spent playing PSone rpgs. I was very disappointed in the quality of games in the first two generations. I didn't actively hate Sony, but I was a tad resentful that they didn't deliver on some of their promises (but again, I kind of knew some of that going in). After that, things started to pick up; ironically, it was all third party games in the niche genres, the kind of games a console gets only because it is the most popular that still has me using it as my main console. It is unclear to me whether or not that will happen with the PS3; I suspect some of the "games that are great but no one plays" genre may die off so it might be the end of console gaming period for me, but we shall see.

As for MS, I hate the company. I hate Windows; it's painful and I don't know why so many people put up with it's quality and shoot down everything else. Yet, the xbox is a decent console with some decent games so I bought one anyway. It doesn't feel like an MS product to me; I have concerns that the 360 will be though. Only time will tell. After the expo, many may not have noticed, but MS pulled a Sony with regards to hype. They made public test results showing how at the very least the 360 will hold it's own against the PS3 and in some cases outperform it. Rubbish. Why? PS3 hardware didn't really exist yet, so what are they comparing it to? Anyone in research knows that when you run quantitative tests, you do it multiple times and run statistics to see if the differences are significant. So they showed a bar graphs with no error bars (I'm too lazy to provide links). All of the sudden now, the 360 is going to be so much better. Based on what? Not much. We have at least 6 months, maybe a year to see if MS will deliver on a gaming machine and promises and not just let it be run by corperate greed and hype.

As for Nintendo, I feel bad for them. Decent console with some good first party games plus some third party ones that slipped through the cracks (Eternal Darkness comes to mind). However, with the Revolution... feels like the controller is a gimic to me? How good is 3rd party support going to be with that? Will they go on the over-hyped band wagon that Sony started, MS jumped on. Probably.

Basically, this was a long winded explanation of one reason why people on the boards hate Sony. Hype, hype, hype with the PS2 and failure to deliver. However, look above and now they are all doing it (the extent of failure to deliver for the next gen remains to be seen). And I think a lot of people on these boards feel that Sony's hype machine killed Sega and the DC. Sega killed Sega; Sony made have added some lighter fluid, but the fire was already ablaze.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Tekken series, Gran Turismo series, MGS series, ico, getting GTA games first. All excellent reasons to own a PS2.

I cant think of any exclusive titles on the Xbox I would be interested in...
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

I don't hate sony.

But their poor build-quality means consoles break in about a year. Sometimes you get lucky but most people i know who play their ps2 a lot have been through at least a couple of them.

My first one had a bust PSU so i got a replacement, then the laser went (DRE) so i bought a new PS2 then that got DRE after only 5 months, i phoned Sony they said it would cost ~?70 even though it was still under warranty. In comparison my GameCube which i got before my Ps2 is still going strong and gets played a lot more.

The games are great (GTA, FF, MGS, GT4) but the hardware is under powered, over priced, poorly built crap.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

BoneyCork wrote:Tekken series, Gran Turismo series, MGS series, ico, getting GTA games first. All excellent reasons to own a PS2.

I cant think of any exclusive titles on the Xbox I would be interested in...
not flaming you or anything, just offering my point of view:

Soul Calibur/Doa (i hate tekken, SC rules its ass), PGR, splinter cell, getting more beautifull GTA games with custom soundtrack... all excellent replacements for what you just said (except ico, i dont really know ico, hence cant suggest something similar

i know Soul calibur and splinter cell aren xbox exclusive, but they tend to be the best on xbox imho (best graphics/online mode for splinter cell)

as for good xbox exclusives:
- Fable (not counting the recent PC version)
- DOA
- Jade Empire (if you like RPGs get this!!!)
- PGR/Forza
- Mech assault
- Halo
- Best online support
- Amped

granted, the Ps2 might have more exclusive series, but the xbox sure has its gems too, the only real thing the PS2 has on xbox are RPG's, as the xbox is a bit weak there

and for all the things i listed sequels are on there way for the 360, and i will get one simply for fable 2 and jade empire 2, the other stuff is just bonus..
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

I think for exclusive titles Gamecube would probably be #1 for its first party support

Ninja Gaiden is a good xbox exclusive
Plastics.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

ptr.lynch wrote:I don't hate sony.

But their poor build-quality means consoles break in about a year. Sometimes you get lucky but most people i know who play their ps2 a lot have been through at least a couple of them.

My first one had a bust PSU so i got a replacement, then the laser went (DRE) so i bought a new PS2 then that got DRE after only 5 months, i phoned Sony they said it would cost ~?70 even though it was still under warranty. In comparison my GameCube which i got before my Ps2 is still going strong and gets played a lot more.

The games are great (GTA, FF, MGS, GT4) but the hardware is under powered, over priced, poorly built crap.
I really don't understand why anyone would buy another console suffering from a dre when it is such an easy fix.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

AntiPro wrote: Ninja Gaiden is a good xbox exclusive
forgot that one, was thinking about it, but i was a bit woozy (work was dull)
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I don't like the games and I don't like the controller.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

You could hook up regular RCA video leads to the original PSONE. Then $ony changed the output on later models so that you had to buy PSONE only leads.
You mean the ones they give you with the system? So you don't have to buy them? And by having a port they can actually do coponent video?

Also what are people doing to break them? I dropped mine down my stairs (twice :oops: ) and my freaking cat peed on it. The only problem I am having is my lens is starting to go, and I got mine at launch.

Also about games....what the hell are you smoking, if you can't look at the huge liberary of exclusives then there is something wrong with you. ICO, Shadow of the Colussus, Giant Citizens Kabuto, Katmari 1/2, God of War, Rygar just to name a few. I know Xbox, and GC have some sweet exclusives also.

I can unsderstand being pissed about Bleem though. Oh and the fact that this is a board for a rival system.

Oh and I love the controler, the dpad feels perfect. If you want a crappy dpad look at the GC, seems like it was tacked on as an after thought.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

I can't hate Sony because I already hate Microsoft, which would only leave Nintendo, and I don't have a Gamecube.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

i dont hate them, i just have a lot of issues with them ripping of gamers.
yes if it wasent for sony i dont believe the consoles would be where they are today. but still I tihnk the PS1 was a better system than the PS2. the PS2 sold on hype and lies, and everyone bought it. PS1 had a lot of good games, though i gave my PS1 to my friend so i didnt play many of them.

the controller is a POS.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
....Also about games....what the hell are you smoking, if you can't look at the huge liberary of exclusives then there is something wrong with you. ICO, Shadow of the Colussus, Giant Citizens Kabuto, Katmari 1/2, God of War, Rygar just to name a few. I know Xbox, and GC have some sweet exclusives also.

I can unsderstand being pissed about Bleem though. Oh and the fact that this is a board for a rival system.

Oh and I love the controler, the dpad feels perfect. If you want a crappy dpad look at the GC, seems like it was tacked on as an after thought.
I agree about the d-pad on the GC. But I don't really like the d-pad on any of the 1st party controllers.

Out of the games you mentioned and other exclusives, how much originality are we going to see on the next generation. I have a bad feeling we are going to see a lot of mediocre ports more than anything (one of my reasons why I feel another crash is on the horizon).
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Also what are people doing to break them?
Playing them, mostly. SCPH-100x was particularly bad in this regard, and as I recall there were statements issued from SCEA that basically said "don't play it so much and it won't break".
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer