Best and Worst times with your DC?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nick »

I'm just doing that because dreamcast4life always posts things like "omg sony is evil!111 I will never play sony!111 They suck!!!1sssone"
Very sexy hero, omg
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

Best would probably go way back to the first time I loaded up Soul Calibur. Never forget those memories. Some other worthy moments were getting the S-Video cable (every game suddenly improves) and then the VGA Box and trying out all games on that too. Zero Gunner 2 remains my favourite VGA treat.

Worst... I decided to try to clean/lubricate the motor parts. While I was at it, I figured I'd adjust the potmeter too (ie. like the CDRW mod).

Anyway, there was much grinding afterwards (I had used grease, which only slowed it down). Anyway, I couldn't get it working again, even after I cleaned off the grease, it just wouldn't read discs. So I actually threw the GD-ROM unit across the room. Then it sat on my desk as a paper weight for two days. I figured I'd simply broken it.

Finally I rememered, that I had tinkered with the potmeter. DOH.

So, I fiddled with it again and I got discs to boot. Double DOH. After all the shit I'd done to it (including ripping the felt part off the back).

Anyway, long story short, I've done a number of things to this Dreamcast. Including trying to permanantly 60 Hz mod it (it's PAL) which didn't work by clumsy soldering of the PCB (later found out the mod wasn't intended to do that anyway, stupid). Taken it apart many times, obviously stuffed with the GD-ROM unit many times and so on.

But it still works great and I play it nearly every day. Of course, I have two others, one connected to VGA and one (mostly) unused one in storage.

I should add this being a replacement unit after the original Dreamcast I bought back in 2000 died after a few days, heheh.
dreamcastfan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dreamcastfan »

Worst:
-One time playing Unreal Tounament on DC and looked out the window and a cat was eating my kitten.
-One time playing Nester DC then my DC had a shortout and i didnt get a new DC until 6 months later.
-Couldnt find my DNS Numbers on the computer so i couldnt get the internet on my DC (i ended up finding them like 2 months later but i still dont have the internet for my DC).

Best:
-Playing Unreal Tournament all day long on the same level and me and the bots only got 4 flags, and my bots got lost and i couldnt find them. It was the level LavaGiant.
-Beating Shenmue the first time
-And so much more...

P.S. Does anyone still play Unreal Tournament online? And are the servers still up?
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

I doubt anyone plays the DC online, but plenty of people play the PC version still. I dunno if the servers are compatible or not.

Just out of interest a few months ago I tried out some of the online DC games (when I still had my dialup account) and to my surprise some of them still worked, although of course nobody was on the servers.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I doubt anyone plays the DC online
Lot's of people still play Dreamcast online, on some of the official servers too. There's about 8 games that are still online (see boards.sega.com in the Dreamcast section). Of course, there's also the people who play PSO on the private server.

I have UT, I'd love to play online but there's no servers and I need a dial-up ISP.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

worst time...spending time with 7th cross evolution and omikron the nomad soul...

best time...end of Shenmue, many hours of pso joy, doa 2, soul calibur, capcom vs. snk, record of lodoss war, grandia 2, skies of arcadia, rez, etc. etc. etc. Still got many games to go!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
NOWKA
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by NOWKA »

Best: Showing Soul Calibur to my dc hating friend for the first time. When the beggining started up he laughed and asked me why they were showing pre-rendered graphics. I laughed at him and told him that those graphics were the real time in game graphics. He was quiet for the rest of the day. :mrgreen:

Worst: Having my dc restart right when my Seaman file was being saved. It corrupted the file, and I never played Seaman since then.

The dc has been really good to me accept for that one incident.

It is hard to pick a best moment though. First time playing Sonic Adventure has to be my second best moment.
"I am not regret" -- Ikaruga
xIllbleedx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by xIllbleedx »

Best: When I first played soul calibur,shenmue,resident evil CV and Illbleed.These games glued me to the tv and kept me awake for weeks.

Fixing my second dreamcast(it was a pot tweak)

Worst: When my third dreamcast(current) started to die on me and it will only work a few times a week now.

Beating really good players at a DC soul calibur tournament with Ivy to be defeated after about 8 battles by a rookie button smasher using kilik.
Top 3 reasons to own a dreamcast........Illbleed,Soul Calibur and shenmue.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

BEST: Playing Jet Grind Radio , DOA 2 and Skies of Arcadia for the first time and being blown away. :o

WORST: Playing The Ring: Terror's Relam, the absolute worst survival horror game on the system. What a waste of a game that could've done well if the idea was better executed. :cry:
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

xIllbleedx wrote:Beating really good players at a DC soul calibur tournament with Ivy to be defeated after about 8 battles by a rookie button smasher using kilik.
lol, that happens to me all the time. While on holiday I was playing SC2 (gamecube of course ^^) I beat everyone and even the hardest AI wasn't that difficult once you get to master Guard Impact. And then suddenly someone showed up using Voldo while button mashing... I think the benefit button mashers have is that they're unpredictable, making it hard for skilled players to read their moves.

Btw, my fav character is Mitsurugi. I've never been obsessed with a fighting game as much as I've been with Soul Calibur 1 and 2. If it weren't for DC I'd probably never got into 3d fighting games.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Darkfalz wrote:I doubt anyone plays the DC online, but plenty of people play the PC version still. I dunno if the servers are compatible or not.

Just out of interest a few months ago I tried out some of the online DC games (when I still had my dialup account) and to my surprise some of them still worked, although of course nobody was on the servers.
Dude, I got my DC online less than a week ago and already have my HUmar at level 35. I've played over 30 hours of PSO. I also play Quake III Arena online.

I also know of a lot of people who play online with the DC. I know of a lot more who play DC online than PS2 online actually...
Gameholic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gameholic »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Darkfalz wrote:I doubt anyone plays the DC online, but plenty of people play the PC version still. I dunno if the servers are compatible or not.

Dude, I got my DC online less than a week ago and already have my HUmar at level 35. I've played over 30 hours of PSO. I also play Quake III Arena online.

I also know of a lot of people who play online with the DC. I know of a lot more who play DC online than PS2 online actually...
YUP! And thats a fact... and the Quake 3 servers will be online for a long time and if the legit servers of PSO are going down, we always have the homebrew ones. I've tried playing online with my PS2 but that sucks bigtime. For me DC online and Xbox Live are the best....
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

Quake 3 merely use the PC servers don't they? Only they are only compatible with an old point release, right?

I have Quake 3 both US and PAL (originals), but no dialup account anymore. I really should get a BBA.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

I also know of a lot of people who play online with the DC. I know of a lot more who play DC online than PS2 online actually...[/quote]

YUP! And thats a fact... and the Quake 3 servers will be online for a long time and if the legit servers of PSO are going down, we always have the homebrew ones. I've tried playing online with my PS2 but that sucks bigtime. For me DC online and Xbox Live are the best....[/quote]

Compare the 20 people on Quake 3 to the 15,000 plus I see online daily on Socom 3. I'd love to agree but it's just not true
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Worst, No Winning Eleven! Or any decent football game! I know Konami were working on a WE for DC, but it never got released :x

Best, As well as many sweet games I've got for my DC, B!EEM MGS! i was blown away when i first played it :o
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

worst:
when my dc kept restarting.
when i found out 3 weeks after buying it it was dead
the store sold me a used one at new price
when i stuffed my led

best: beating crazy taxi and shenmue for the first time
playing four player v8 2nd offence, powerstone2, red dog.
when i got thotd2 and gun.
when i found a emulation site whre people wre nice and n00b friendly.
and all the other games :P
and the games i'm yet to play i'll post a list soon :P
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Worst. When my first Dc started to reset itself during PSO, lost a few items :x

Best. Hanging out with Sarge in Best of the best on AFO. We wtfpwned that joint to no end.