Most Underrated DC or Saturn games!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

There's some bumpage for ya. :o
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Most Underrated DC or Saturn games!

Post by Juan »

Master Higgins wrote:DC-
The most Underrated- Fatal Fury:Mark Of The Wolves...this game is a spiritual experience. BUY IT!
Don't buy it, unless you can stand the voices lagging and the blurry graphics.

About the topic, I remember Heavy Metal Geomatrix. Great multiplayer fun that wasn't too popular.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Bumpage indeed, but a very interesting topic nonetheless. I wasn't even around back then :P

As a whole you could say Saturn and DC itself are underrated consoles by many gamers.

I think one of those games that is overlooked a lot is NHL2k2. Being one of the final games it didn't get much attention. Having played NHL2000 series by EA for PC I can say NHL2k2 owns it badly. EA's games are pure eyecandy and about collecting gimmicky cards to unlock easter eggs. It's fun, but when it comes down to gameplay Sega Sports NHL2k2 is so much better.

Another game I regret I never hear anyone about is Baldr Force, being released at about the same time as Chaos Field, it's got freaking awesome and addicting gameplay, good music that doesn't bore me anytime soon. That game is pure magic to me because of the simple but unique gameplay. I always compare it to the oldschool games I loved like Contra games. Now if only there were a guide with a translation of the story.

Another fun game for two players is Bust a Move 4. Whenever I play it with a good friend of mine we get caught up in the game so badly I'm spacing out and playing on instinct. If a game can accomplish that with a gamer hard to please like me it's worth mentioning :mrgreen:
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Krut wrote:Dreamcast games that i can remember: Super Magnetic Neo, Bangaioh, Shenmue 2, Jet Grind Radio.
Veggita2099 wrote:Nights into Dreams was the best Saturn game ever!
The topic is underrated games. All of these are well-known and critically acclaimed games - except Super Magnetic Neo, which was quite bad. And I also think JGR was very overrated.

Red Dog: Superior Fire Power for the Dreamcast is little-known and pretty good.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Freeze wrote:The most underrated Dreamcast game in History was Toy Commander in my opinion. Darn, I had such great time with this game... additionally it was the first real European project for the Dreamcast. :)
I completely agree with Freeze on this one.
ennok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ennok »

I registered just so I can add my $0.02 to this topic. I would have to agree that toy commander is just the cats meow. Some levels are insanely hard but it's such a neet game.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Stormwatch wrote:
Krut wrote:Dreamcast games that i can remember: Super Magnetic Neo, Bangaioh, Shenmue 2, Jet Grind Radio.
Veggita2099 wrote:Nights into Dreams was the best Saturn game ever!
The topic is underrated games. All of these are well-known and critically acclaimed games - except Super Magnetic Neo, which was quite bad. And I also think JGR was very overrated.

Red Dog: Superior Fire Power for the Dreamcast is little-known and pretty good.
JGR managed to be very simple in terms of gameplay, while being very interesting. I think it got so much credit because of its style. Just look how many cell shaded games started to pop up after JSR. Personally I think it's a very nice game, easy to pick up, hard to the point of frustration at other moments. Trying and failing one crucial jump after you've done all the other stuff you needed to and having to start all over again made me wanna toss the game out of the window :P

The only reason why I can think of it as being overrated is because the lack of variety in gameplay. Graphics and music are definately not overrated.

My blog
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

Only saturn game that I can think of is Scud: the disposable assassin (saturn). It wasn't that original in terms of plots, and offered nothing new for a 2-d platformer/shooter, but I thought it was decent; and funny as well. if you put the game in a cd player, it had a bunch of funny prank phone calls.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

DC: Bangai-O
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I still agree with my post after reading it and not remembering posting it.

But another under-rated saturn game was 'Steep Slope Sliders' by far the best snow board game I've ever played and one of the best sound tracks as well.
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

Rent-A-Hero No.1 (also for teh box but you wouldnt knowit) is terribly underrated. its a hilarious game. ill prolly play through it agian once i beat it.
Make Metal Slug DC!
Visit the Dreamcast NMMT Board!
http://nmmt.proboards58.com/index.cgi
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

1mp0r7g4m3r wrote:Rent-A-Hero No.1 (also for teh box but you wouldnt knowit) is terribly underrated. its a hilarious game. ill prolly play through it agian once i beat it.
I've heard about it, it's a game by AM2, right?

Is it jap only?

My blog
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

I think D2 is a great underrated game.It as my first DC game I got.It has great graphics and a pretty good story.The controls are a little iffy but after a while you will be able to control the game great.
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

I've heard about it, it's a game by AM2, right?

Is it Japanese only?
yeah its by AM2. quite JP intensive, but there are a couple excellent guides for it.
Make Metal Slug DC!
Visit the Dreamcast NMMT Board!
http://nmmt.proboards58.com/index.cgi
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

gRiMgRaVy014 wrote:I think D2 is a great underrated game.It as my first DC game I got.It has great graphics and a pretty good story.The controls are a little iffy but after a while you will be able to control the game great.
Oh yes, this is one of the game I still have to do. I loved the commotion involving that one particular scene when I read something about the game. So I still only have the Japanese version of the game, bought it for 3 euros on ebay, good as new, smells like smoke though :(

Now I need an english version to actually understand what they're saying :P

Is Rent a hero rare? (what would be the average price you have to pay on ebay for example?)

My blog
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

I still havto beat D2 I'm stuck on the second disc where I havta enter some password to get into some lab i think. I have no idea what the # is.I seem to have misplaced the first disc of the game I tihk its in one of my ps1 cases. But yes it is a great underrated game.
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

D2 is an all right game; I bought it after a sega site recommended it. It has its moments, but for me the action was too slow and the controls were both shaky and difficult (for me, at least) And the cinemas can get boring, and it also kinda sux that you can't skip them. :evil:
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I'm not sure if it fits here, but I was playing it earlier and I have to say that Project Justice is better than I remembered.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I got Rent A Hero off of Ebay and played it some. Didn't bother getting a guide yet, and I need to find time to beat it. But just walking around and talking Japanese was fun. :lol:

DC - You guys named them.

Saturn - BURNING RANGERS! Oh mans, such a good game...
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

What makes a game underrated? Is it due to the fact that it doesn't sell well despite its merits? If that is the case then for the Sega Saturn, how about Deep Fear, Clockwork Knight 2 and the already mentioned Burning Rangers? We could also add Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga to the list.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!